Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HD Calling

Feedback Score

HD Calling

Ok. So in the past month or so, I've noticed on my La Fiesta Dos, that there is an 'HD' on the calling button. And when I press the phone button, the other person's phone rings instantly, there is no lag at all; starts ringing even before I have the time to press the speaker button. Person is very clear on the other end. I'm assuming this is the VoLTE. When a call is made, the LTE at the top of the screen lights up. Does this mean that I am using data along with my phone minutes?

Feedback Score
    They aren't supposed to charge the data bucket for VoLTE calls, just the talk bucket should be deducted. Will the phone let you make a VoLTE call with mobile data off

Next time check your buckets before and after the VoLTE call and please post your findings.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    You would by definition be "using" data, since VoLTE puts voice calls on the over-the-air IP network, unlike if you were attempting a call using a discrete app that worked independent of the carrier, either over cellular data or Wi-Fi. But as tfusr19 commented, that service (VoLTE) is accounted for in the talk bucket.

Feedback Score
    Think VoLTE uses a seperate channel than data LTE. Likely what is different in VoLTE capable phones.

Feedback Score
    I did notice that when making a call only LTE was lit up on the top, not 4G.

And yes I still had HD with data off.

Feedback Score
    Does it sometimes show 4G?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    I did notice that when making a call only LTE was lit up on the top, not 4G.

And yes I still had HD with data off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Does it sometimes show 4G?
    Not that I've noticed. I will check data when I get off phone. Talking to friend who is beetching about his wife. He's been going on for over an hour.

Feedback Score
    Well, isn't this special. Had data off. Was on the phone for 90 minutes with guy. Checked minutes after I was done and an hour plus later. There was zero minutes taken off. Maybe it uses WiFi?

Feedback Score
    Try making a test call in airplane mode with WiFi on and see if it works. I think there's a delay in the buckets being updated, so check again a bit later and post back.

Well, isn't this special. Had data off. Was on the phone for 90 minutes with guy. Checked minutes after I was done and an hour plus later. There was zero minutes taken off. Maybe it uses WiFi?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Try making a test call in airplane mode with WiFi on and see if it works. I think there's a delay in the buckets being updated, so check again a bit later and post back.
    There is a possibility that if HD Voice is active, Wi-Fi calling may also be. They are both part of the Verizon package of Advanced Calling.

Interesting that the things we have been waiting for from Verizon are starting to finally show up. Why can't they just "do it" in an open manner instead of slowly sneaking it in? Of course, TracFone will say nothing to it's customers.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If it is Verizon Wi-Fi calling, I wonder if the other Tracfone companies will have it soon too or if it is there already.

Feedback Score
    So, I turned data and Wifi off. Called my other phone. On for 5 minutes. That 5 minutes were deducted from my minutes. Would be interesting if someone else could check. I do have the fiesta 2. Unfortunately, my other phone (LG Treasure) does not have the HD calling. And if I read this right, on the Verizon Wireless page, it says, "Many HD Voice-capable devices also support Wi-Fi Calling."
    Is it free? It was for my call. I'll just keep using it and see if I get charged for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    There is a possibility that if HD Voice is active, Wi-Fi calling may also be. They are both part of the Verizon package of Advanced Calling.

Interesting that the things we have been waiting for from Verizon are starting to finally show up. Why can't they just "do it" in an open manner instead of slowly sneaking it in? Of course, TracFone will say nothing to it's customers.
    When the issue with my Galaxy S5 not being able to make or receive calls was resolved, under the Advanced Calling setting on my phone I noticed it says...Service Upgraded to HD Voice and Video Calling. Then under that is the option to turn HD Voice on or off.
    It looks like that is what was done to get my phone working again, but I don't know for sure. And frankly, not being tech savvy, I'm not sure if it's a big deal or not. All I care about is being able to make & receive calls like I always have in the past.
    I do know my Voicemail Notification is from Verizon & not set properly as a result of getting the phone working again. That's an issue discussed in another thread someone else had & got it resolved. I can still receive voicemails, so for the time being I'll just let it go.

Feedback Score
    And if I read this right, on the Verizon Wireless page, it says, "Many HD Voice-capable devices also support Wi-Fi Calling."
    Is it free? It was for my call. I'll just keep using it and see if I get charged for it.
    Wi-Fi calling is charged as voice time by the carrier. Useful in an area that has Wi-Fi but no cell signal, like inside some large buildings.

Feedback Score
    Did your talk bucket not get deducted from the long beaching session WiFi call with your friend?

So, I turned data and Wifi off. Called my other phone. On for 5 minutes. That 5 minutes were deducted from my minutes. Would be interesting if someone else could check. I do have the fiesta 2. Unfortunately, my other phone (LG Treasure) does not have the HD calling. And if I read this right, on the Verizon Wireless page, it says, "Many HD Voice-capable devices also support Wi-Fi Calling."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast