Thread: Why are out of province threads banned?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Why are out of province threads banned?

I’m not looking for info on plans. Just wondering why discussions of these are banned at hofo. I’ve seen some people say it’s because it’s fraud but it doesn’t even approach any definition of fraud so that’s a weak excuse.

Other than a misunderstanding of what fraud is, is there an actual reason? Were advertising dollars threatened?
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Why are out of province threads banned?

Totally agree. I find it funny that it’s been defined as “fraud”

I think people with an out of province plan should be defined as charlatans or trixters at best.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECMAN View Post
    Totally agree. I find it funny that it’s been defined as “fraud”

I think people with an out of province plan should be defined as charlatans or trixters at best.
    At worst I’d say they are using the system exactly as it was designed to work but maybe not how it was intended.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand it either. The moderator is overzealous, especially when nobody's complaining and the forums are quiet otherwise.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    I don't understand it either. The moderator is overzealous, especially when nobody's complaining and the forums are quiet otherwise.
    Agreed! Way too overzealous. I've been a part of this community for over 16 years, been a paying member for 8 years. So I can be banned just like that for discussing something that helps save people money? This is not FRAUD! Telus have been well aware of the loophole for years and didn't do anything about it.

d0nkz, DennyCrane we need an answer. Otherwise I am going straight to Howard.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1 / Apple iPhone X
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Otherwise I am going straight to Howard.
    *acurrie

IMO the carriers game the market and implement arbitrary constraints to overcharge a large proportion of the population, so someone gaming the system they've built is fair game.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    The overzealousness of the moderator has basically led to these forums being not much more than a ghost town. It's a shame, but I feel most people have moved to RFD and Reddit for discussion.

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Agreed! Way too overzealous. I've been a part of this community for over 16 years, been a paying member for 8 years. So I can be banned just like that for discussing something that helps save people money? This is not FRAUD! Telus have been well aware of the loophole for years and didn't do anything about it.

d0nkz, DennyCrane we need an answer. Otherwise I am going straight to Howard.
    I think people are overestimating how large HoFo really is...but ya go get us an answer. What is the real story. Would be interesting to know...
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    I think people are overestimating how large HoFo really is...but ya go get us an answer. What is the real story. Would be interesting to know...
    Hofo used to be huge. It was the goto site for mobile info and discussions. It's a little weird that a deal hunting site, like RFD, has actually overtaken a mobile specific site for mobile discussions, but RFD has far more active and informative discussions there these days.

I think a big reason that it is a shadow of what it used to be is the overzealous modeators. But I also think the large number of carrier shills that came on a intentionally disrupted and polluted discussions, especially plan related, chased people away.

As for this topic being taboo, I think it's likely just a few mods that didn't know better and were convinced by others (likely carrier employees that don't like customers "getting away" with stuff) convinced them that it was fraud, against common sense and actually definitions of the word.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not only are they overzealous, they apply double standards when dealing with various forum issues. Since they are not responding here, I have contacted one of them privately. If I don't hear back or the answer is not satisfactory, I will be contacting Howard. I will keep everyone posted.

BTW, for those wondering if QC loophole is still working, I will know for sure by the end of this week. My brother's gf is in the process. She changed the number to QC and is waiting for the new billing cycle to change the plan on Friday. Also, various people still advertise obtaining this and other out of province plans for a fee on Kijiji...

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 & iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    1: I personally had nothing to do with locking down those discussions. I will flag this thread for d0nkz to respond to if he so chooses.

2: The rules say that any questioning of a moderators decision are to be done so via pm. I personally have no issue with the constructive question around the reasoning behind the decision, but blatant moderator critiquing in a public thread won't be tolerated. Have an issue, take it up with the moderator directly via pm. This isn't negotiable.

3: Threats to go above the moderators will get you nowhere fast. We are reasonable people capable of having reasonable and constructive conversations. Threatening moderator volunteers is not productive and doesn't give us much motivation to want to work through your issue with you.

This thread is being closed. If d0nkz wants to respond, he can; though from what I see in this thread I'm not sure why he'd want to. My suggestion would be to pm him directly if you're willing to have a constructive conversation.