Thread: Upgrade Android on Cricket Galaxy S4

Feedback Score

Upgrade Android on Cricket Galaxy S4

I'm trying to eke a bit of additional life out of our two Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. They were purchased on Cricket and are stuck at Android 4.4 (KitKat). I know that some carriers allowed upgrades to Android 5. If I temporarily moved them over to another carrier (say AT&T Prepaid), would I be able to get the upgraded OS from them? Even that would allow several apps that I have to work properly.

I've looked at the custom ROM option, but even as someone who is reasonably technical, I'm lost as to whether it can be done on mine and exactly how to go about it without bricking the phones.

Yes, I know they won't last forever, but it frustrates me that the carriers and manufacturers intentionally force obsolescence.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngriffin View Post
    I'm trying to eke a bit of additional life out of our two Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. They were purchased on Cricket and are stuck at Android 4.4 (KitKat). I know that some carriers allowed upgrades to Android 5. If I temporarily moved them over to another carrier (say AT&T Prepaid), would I be able to get the upgraded OS from them? Even that would allow several apps that I have to work properly.

I've looked at the custom ROM option, but even as someone who is reasonably technical, I'm lost as to whether it can be done on mine and exactly how to go about it without bricking the phones.

Yes, I know they won't last forever, but it frustrates me that the carriers and manufacturers intentionally force obsolescence.
    If they are Cricket branded phones then it's up to Cricket to push through any updates. You can ask tech support and see if they plan on giving you Android 5 or not otherwise custom ROM is the only option and then it's only relying on whether or not the makers of those ROMs support the cricket version.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I used a Verizon Prepaid S4 on Cricket for a year and really liked it but some of the budget phones these days are actually better then that old flagship in many ways. Might wanna keep an eye open for a deal on last years unlocked Motos. The G5 Plus was just going for $68.00 at Target and I'm sure the unlocked E4 will hit clearance pretty quick too. I replaced my S4 with the Moto E4 and immediately liked it better because of battery life and earpiece/speakerphone call quality. What's really amazing is that the Moto E4 has a replaceable battery like the S4!!! Also, they are about the same size and weight. The S4 did have a lot more bells and whistles but I didn't really use them much.

Feedback Score
    Unless you can find a way over at XDA to get into bootloader and install and custom rom, you are stuck with the version of android you're on. XDA is good about step by step guides. I wouldn't worry about bricking the phone if you'll just end up replacing it anyway. Try it on one of them to see how it goes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Check out LineageOS. It will support Android 7.1.2 Nougat at least it's better than what you have. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.