Thread: Easiest Way To Switch To Cricket?

Feedback Score

Easiest Way To Switch To Cricket?

Looks like I'll be switching to Cricket real soon. Is the easiest (and cheapest) way to go to a store and get a sim for my phone? If order online?
    Get the best in Fitness Training with Fitness Professionals!
    www.TopFitnessStrategies.com

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It would be cheaper to buy the sim at say, Best Buy for $10 (or $1, they often have sales). Then activate them online yourself. If you go to a Cricket store, you'll likely get hit with the $25 activation fee, per line as I recall. If you need a phone, again, do it online. A sim comes with any phone purchase, and you should get free 2-day shipping. Activation will be started and all you should have to do is drop the sim in the phone, or just go to the website, again passing by the $25 activation fee. Last month I did a sim-swap using the 'activation' method on the website because of a bad sim for free. Friend of mine did the same thing at a store and got charged the activation fee. YMMV.

This has been my experience (although I've never bought a phone, just sims), I've heard they've started doing activation fees on online orders, but I'm not sure. My desire to not talk to people leads me to avoid brick and mortar stores.
    I don't like phones... I'm in it for the data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has Cricket BYOD SIM card kits for about $5, if you have your own phone to to bring I’d recommend that method too. I’d stay away from stores to avoid fees just about anything can be done online. Good luck, welcome to Cricket.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    As above it makes sense to get a free or cheap phone online with free sim if you're porting in. (Can't get free porting from ATT or ATT prepaid) Remember group plans are cheapest.
    Get a referral $25 credit from this forum.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Agreed. When I first signed with cricket, I essentially paid a dealer $25 for a how to, and I can't say it was entirely wasted money, then ca me here later, even though I'd used Howards for years.

The 800 cricket people are good today, and can really help.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    I switched my line originally by ordering a SIM card online from Cricket (also took care of preparing the port process, so when I got the SIM, I clicked the activate link in my email). After learning a bit more about the various methods, I went the SIM kit route (Target and Best Buy carry them - buy them in person, as bestbuy.com tends to forget to scan everything properly). If you follow the directions and have your prior carrier's information (account, phone number, PIN, etc.), it's pretty painless.

As others have said, get a referral to get $25 (only works on the first line) and keep an eye out when Best Buy, Target, or others run sales on the refill cards. Target tends to run 10% off every few months and if you buy online (email delivery), it avoids the E911 fees that some stores mistakenly charge - Cricket includes those with the monthly service.

Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    The 800 cricket people are good today, and can really help.
    I'll agree with this statement - there was some web site issue when I was transferring the last number, so I called to do to the port and the process was easy. Other than that, I haven't had to call, but I've heard that it's on the better end of prepaid phone customer service.