Thread: What does "couldn't establish a secure connection" mean?

Feedback Score

What does "couldn't establish a secure connection" mean?

I have an Android phone, a Vortex Pulse, and it works fine in all respects, except one. When I go on the internet, whether through Wi-Fi or through mobile network data, and try to Google certain websites, they don't come up and instead I get a message that says "couldn't establish a secure connection". This doesn't happen all the time or even most of the time, maybe 20% percent of the websites I try to go to. This happens even when the signal is strong. One, for example, is the Wells Fargo login page, to check my account. I can never get to the Wells Fargo site, and when I tried to install the Wells Fargo app, it said my phone was not compatible with "this version of the app". So I have no way of accessing my account on this phone. But when I Google other websites I get through no problem. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the sites I can go to versus the sites I can't go to, it looks entirely random. I have another Android phone, a different make and model, that doesn't have this problem. Is this a problem with the phone, something that can be fixed?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What browser are you using?
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    I think it is likely a software issue with the phone and it could be different things causing the problem. It might be just that browser for example.

1. If you have not already tried reboot your phone and see if that fixes it.

2. I assume your phone is not rooted because if it is rooted lots of stuff could have gone wrong.

3. The easiest way to try and fix the issue is a factory reset.

If you do a factory reset make sure you backup your data first such as photos and other stuff because a factory reset will erase all the data on your phone.

So I would recommend a factory reset; otherwise, you would have to try different things to see if you could fix it and if it is a software issue the factory reset should fix it.

Feedback Score
    Another thing that might need checking is what flavor of android the vortex phone uses.
    According to info for the Wells Fargo app on google play store, the device needs minimum android 5.0 and up to work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...obile&hl=en_US

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

2. I assume your phone is not rooted because if it is rooted lots of stuff could have gone wrong.
    Rooting can't cause anything to go wrong. Unless you don't know what you're doing and brick the phone completely. But it wouldn't cause the OP's problem with one specific website. His issue is that the phone's Android version (Jelly Bean 4.2.1) is too old to be used for secure browsers connections with some sites, such as his bank.

This is not the first time you're posting incorrect or misleading information. I don't know if you're trolling or just being ignorant.

Feedback Score
    I have nothing against rooting but if the phone has a different rom I don't know if it works.

The original manufacture rom was tested so I assume it works correctly.

it might be the android version like you say. If so then the factory reset won't fix it but it won't hurt to try either.

I would think if a website is requiring a certain android version they would say that on their website. I never ran into that problem so I don't know about it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5/5x, iPhone 3GS through 5s, iPhone 7+, tons more
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, VZW, AT&T, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    According to the manufacturer's site, the Vortex Pulse ships with Android 4.2.1. That means the default browser probably doesn't support TLS 1.1 or 1.2. (Almost?) everyone is shutting down TLS 1.0 support because of the June 30th PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) deadline.

As far as I can tell:
    Android 4.0 and earlier do not support TLS 1.1/1.2
    Android 4.1 through 4.4 have TLS 1.1/1.2 support but it's disabled by default
    (However, some phone manufacturers enabled TLS 1.1/1.2 in their Android 4.4 ROMs)
    Android 5.0 and later have proper TLS 1.1/1.2 support

You could try installing a different web browser to gain TLS 1.1/1.2 support. That would probably be the easiest way to go. Google Chrome and Firefox are both available in the Play Store, and I think they both support Android 4.1 and up (I'm not absolutely certain, but there's no harm in trying).