Thread: Telus Exec to Canadians: “1 GB is just a nice number in your head…”

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Telus Exec to Canadians: “1 GB is just a nice number in your head…”

Name:  woodhead-telus.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  257.7 KB

I really hope that Rose Behar wasn't personally out of pocket to attend this year's Canadian Telecom Summit; her report to Mobile Syrup on the event clearly demonstrates just how out of touch our Big Three carriers really are. For proof, here are some choice quotes from Telus SVP of regulatory affairs Ted Woodhead (pictured above), taken from a panel on the subject of the new low-cost plans mandated by the CRTC.

When these laughably plans were rightfully called a joke, a Bell exec said they weren't meant as such, and Woodhead took it from there:

“1 GB is just a nice number in your head. But if the purpose is for incidental access, that’s what those plans are designed to use.”
    Woodhead elaborated with the example of a child, who would presumably have WiFi at home and school but not for the walk between one and the other.

“That’s the exact use case we were provided with. For less than a cup of coffee a day you get 600 MB. I don’t think that’s worthy of the derision we have faced.”
    In other words we should all feel really bad for hurting the Big Three's feelings, and unreasonably dreaming of gigabytes in a reality where megabytes are clearly enough.

What year is it again?

Source: Mobile Syrup
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    For less than a cup of coffee a day you get 600 MB.
    For less than a cup of coffee a day you get 600 MB a month, gee thanks. There's virtually nothing you can do with 600 MB anymore.

I know their argument is that the networks are better quality comparatively but they really aren't that much better that it justifies this pricing. Australia is far flung, with dense urban areas, similar to Canada, but the pricing is less insulting and they have very good quality networks.

Feedback Score
    That's terrible.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 09.25.18

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Feedback Score
    Hey Ted Woodhead, put your own children on a $30/600mb plan with $107/GB overage and see how that works out for you.

I wish the government would buy up all tower infrastructure and charge all comers equal access fees to use them. B/R/T use every tool in the box to minimize competition to protect their profits; take the biggest hammer away.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    Vote with your wallet people...find ANY alternative to the Big 3.
    I went with Videotron not because I believe they are ethical or more consumer friendly (they are to some extent) but to avoid giving any money to Robellus.

We Canadians are way too lenient and besides a vocal group in the forums, the rest of us curse and pay. Maybe don't even curse....or look at the bill.

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post
    I went with Videotron not because I believe they are ethical or more consumer friendly (they are to some extent) but to avoid giving any money to Robellus.

We Canadians are way too lenient and besides a vocal group in the forums, the rest of us curse and pay. Maybe don't even curse....or look at the bill.
    The only non-big 3 option here is Freedom, but I can't switch due to my usage areas (too much roaming). When the removal of Telus's bundle discounts pissed me off as a price increase too far, I changed and dropped services to cut my overall bill by 40-50% as a middle finger to the greedy <redacted>.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipse View Post

Videotron has become more expensive.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    For less than a cup of coffee a day you get 600 MB a month, gee thanks. There's virtually nothing you can do with 600 MB anymore....
    There is virtually plenty you can do with 600 MB a month. My life does not revolve around Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, streaming music or video on my phone. I don't even use 600 MB a year.

That said, is sounds like Canadians are getting gouged for cell service by a bunch of arrogant, greedy @#$%^[email protected]#.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ....sounds like Canadians are getting gouged for cell service by a bunch of arrogant, greedy @#$%^[email protected]#.
    They're all like that till they're forced to change by competition being less greedy.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogeek View Post
    Hey Ted Woodhead, put your own children on a $30/600mb plan with $107/GB overage and see how that works out for you.

I wish the government would buy up all tower infrastructure and charge all comers equal access fees to use them. B/R/T use every tool in the box to minimize competition to protect their profits; take the biggest hammer away.
    I've always thought they should task Canada Post with maintaining a network that any provider could purchase wholesale access from.

Carrier(s)
    Value
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    The CRTC wants affordable data-only plans for Canadians, and now have proposals in-hand from this country's Big Three carriers.

Rogers: $25/400MB
    Bell: $30/500MB
    Telus: $30/500MB

This is some kind of joke, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    from Telus SVP of regulatory affairs Ted Woodhead...

“1 GB is just a nice number in your head.”

Let's not be too hard on the incumbents. Their proposals were nicely in line with the low-cost data example provided by our new CRTC chair, the day after he slammed the door on WiFi-first MVNOs.

In the meantime, Rogers, BCE and Telus have a month to come up with proposals for lower-cost, data-only wireless plans...

In remarks to reporters, [CRTC chair Ian Scott] pointed to one plan offered by Videotron in Quebec that gives customers 500 megabytes of data for $30 a month.

- Globe and Mail March 23
    Interestingly, Chairman Scott once served at Telus in the same capacity as Ted Woodhead - VP government/regulatory affairs.
    Cut from the same cloth, one might say.

--
    For Ottawa, CRTC decision marks another failed effort at fixing wireless affordability
    Despite longstanding views that the path to better pricing lies with more competition, CRTC chair Ian Scott sounded like a telecom executive when he tried to spin the low-cost offering as a "superior alternative" to measures designed to foster new competitors through mandated MVNOs.
    New CRTC Chair Ian Scott's Ties To Telecom 'Raising Concerns'
    Conflicts of interest alleged in federal job exchanges
    Last edited by pjw918; 06-15-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    A Canadian tale of wireless competition, and Another
    From unjust discrimination to undue preference - a CRTC timeline

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    As I pointed out in another post, Canada is not competitive in anything. Well, except for raising prices on everything...
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.