Thread: Buying the latest phones for prepaid?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Buying the latest phones for prepaid?

I have five lines and looking to switch over from postpaid to prepaid. My only concern is being able to walk into the Verizon store or go online and buy any phone I want. For example, the new iphone later this year when it comes out. I understand I might have to pay full price, but I don't want to be turned away or have to fight with them about going postpaid to get the phone.

Also, any new phone should come with the 1-year warranty support that I have always got under postpaid, right?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Go to the Apple Store if there is one near you. A lot less hassle, and get the sim-free version of any iPhone that you want. They are all unlocked.

I have the iPhone 7 on Verizon prepaid, and got mine at the Apple Store last fall. In and out with the new iPhone activated and working in a matter of 15 minutes, and that was on a VERY crowded Sunday. Just took the sim out of my old phone, and put it in the new phone.

Just a suggestion, but you will see this suggestion posted a lot on these boards, and that is go to the Apple Store. A lot less hassle.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you want the iPhone at launch, you will likely have issues. At launch, the phones are generally reserved for postpaid customers, and you may still be on a waiting list. There are people who claim that if you show up at the store, and offer to pay full price, you can sidestep that in some cases. (I'm not willing to wait in line at a store for a phone).

Last year, the SIM FREE 8/8+ was available at launch, so you could have bought that. The X wasn't available SIM free until just a couple days after I gave in and bought a contract phone and changed to postpaid

An incentive for more profitable postpaid customers.

I'm back on prepaid, and I have decided that I can wait.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    You'll be able to buy the phone outright, either at a Verizon store, in a store like Best Buy, online through somewhere like Amazon or B&H Photo, or through an eBay or Swappa seller. Some Verizon stores are a pain if you're on prepaid, yes, but not all of them... it really depends on the store and the employee.

I agree with the above comment of going to an Apple Store in order to buy an iPhone outright.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Best Buy changed policies last year with the iPhones. If you wanted to buy it outright, they started charging an extra $100. This because when you buy a phone on a DPP for a postpaid carrier, they got a kickback that they didn't get if you bought the phone outright. I don't know whether this is just the flagships, or all phones. Earlier in the year I bought a prepaid SE for the discounted price offered by ATT GoPhone. I figure they get some kickback for that too.

If I was wanting to buy a new iPhone now, unless the carrier was offering a discount I would just go to the Apple Store. Not backordered so in/out easily SIM Free.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If you want the iPhone at launch, you will likely have issues. At launch, the phones are generally reserved for postpaid customers, and you may still be on a waiting list. There are people who claim that if you show up at the store, and offer to pay full price, you can sidestep that in some cases. (I'm not willing to wait in line at a store for a phone).

Last year, the SIM FREE 8/8+ was available at launch, so you could have bought that. The X wasn't available SIM free until just a couple days after I gave in and bought a contract phone and changed to postpaid

An incentive for more profitable postpaid customers.

I'm back on prepaid, and I have decided that I can wait.
    I bought my iPhone X sim free on nov 3

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfella View Post
    I bought my iPhone X sim free on nov 3
    Then you lucked out. The Apple web page didn't even list the SIM free model until later.