Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Recommendation for unlocked 4.5" Android phone

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,761
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >With most credit cards you get a 2nd year of warranty included.

    Good point.

    >you still have the Apple iPhone non-Plus models, as well as the even smaller iPhone SE.

    The majority of people are already entrenched on either side of the Android/iOS divide. Switching ecosystem is a major change that many wouldn't want to make. This is especially true for the sub-$200 bracket. You won't get many takers ponying up $349 for a SIM-free SE, which IMO includes OP.

    My reading of OP is that he simply wants a replacement for his E1. Given E1's poor data (no LTE) connectivity and Ting's high data cost, he probably uses it mostly for talk. Common sense indicates he wants drop-in replacement (no learning curve), low cost (talk phone shouldn't cost much), same size (he's used to his old phone), and flexibility of providers (unlocked).

    He also doesn't want to buy used, since he's a not gadget fan, and he just wants a phone w/ long life and minimum maintance hassle. For him, it's just a tool to communicate, not a pocket computer. No cam, no big screen, no NFC, etc. The usual phone specs that people want (and recommend) aren't very relevant.

    Then, the Moto E4 retail (unlocked) is the best fit. It's basically the same software experience as E1. Its universal compatibility allows carrier flexibility, and it's in OP's budget. It also has removable battery which allows easy replacement. OP wants to keep a phone until it dies, and battery is the first thing to go.

    I would however say to OP that even if he just wants a talk phone, he should pay attention to data connectivity, because all talk will be through data access, ie voice over LTE (VoLTE) will be standard. Better data access => better voice quality. The Moto E4 (and Motos in general) are better than most phones in this regard.
    I know that a lot of people really don't want a large phone. My wife could have gotten a Plus model iPhone from her employer but she chose the non-Plus model. In fact she really didn't even want a new phone, she was fine with the 6s.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,649
    Carrier(s)
    back on US Mobile for the time being
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    If you can bump up a half inch you can try an unlocked Moto E4 or G4 Play.
    Yes. I love my Moto E4. Bought one for my wife as well. $125 at BestBuy.com but I had two $25 gift cards so I got them for roughly $100 each.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,470
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you aren't into game playing on phones, the lower end phones are surprisingly usable nowadays.

    The other benefit for the higher end phones is cameras and videos. For me, as a backup phone, that doesn't matter either since I still have my primary iPhone. I'm using the E4 as a "home" phone replacement. I have a currently unused G5 Plus that is available if my primary phone is lost or broken.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,761
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If you aren't into game playing on phones, the lower end phones are surprisingly usable nowadays.

    The other benefit for the higher end phones is cameras and videos. For me, as a backup phone, that doesn't matter either since I still have my primary iPhone. I'm using the E4 as a "home" phone replacement. I have a currently unused G5 Plus that is available if my primary phone is lost or broken.
    Yes, I think that the distinguishing factor between a mid-range phone and a flagship phone is the camera. Not having to carry a separate camera on trips is worthwhile to a lot of people, though you don't get much of a lens on a phone.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,470
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    I still plan to carry a good camera on my upcoming trip. But the phone cameras are there with you day to day.

    I intentionally decided to just take my phone camera on my last trip. To Vail last January. With the cold, and activity, I didn't want to mess with a separate camera.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,382
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I still plan to carry a good camera on my upcoming trip. But the phone cameras are there with you day to day.

    I intentionally decided to just take my phone camera on my last trip. To Vail last January. With the cold, and activity, I didn't want to mess with a separate camera.
    I'm still dreaming of an Android phone, 5" or 5-1/2" screen, dual SIM, dedicated microSD card slot, and both cameras at being least as good as an iPhone SE for $150 or less.

    I also dream about winning the lottery and other stuff like that...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    934
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm still dreaming of an Android phone, 5" or 5-1/2" screen, dual SIM, dedicated microSD card slot, and both cameras at being least as good as an iPhone SE for $150 or less.

    I also dream about winning the lottery and other stuff like that...
    My Honor 5X comes close to that.They're $75-95 on Ebay now. I consider it an excellent device.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,165
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score
    0

    Los Angeles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm still dreaming of an Android phone, 5" or 5-1/2" screen, dual SIM, dedicated microSD card slot, and both cameras at being least as good as an iPhone SE for $150 or less.

    I also dream about winning the lottery and other stuff like that...
    I wonder which dream is more realistic.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,382
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    My Honor 5X comes close to that.They're $75-95 on Ebay now. I consider it an excellent device.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I often thought the 5X would be a good phone. It would be nice if there was some way to get Nougat without installing a custom ROM. Is an Oreo custom ROM available for the 5X?

    I never tried one, but are 5X cameras anywhere near as good as the iPhone SE cameras?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,406
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    If you aren't into game playing on phones, the lower end phones are surprisingly usable nowadays....
    Lower, but not lowest end. I have purchased several lowest end AT&T Prepaid phones. They are all usable, but one is pretty awful.

    The Alcatal Ideal is painfully slow and the touch screen has poor responsiveness.

    A ZTE Maven is ok. A ZTE Maven 3 is better. They both only have 8 GB storage and lots of crapware that can't be removed. I don't use a lot of apps, but they can't hold all of the few that I use. The Maven 3 was an $8 Black Friday deal, just because - why not? I am done with buying 8 GB storage phones.

    A LG Phoenix 2 was a $30 Black Friday deal. This is a 16 GB storage phone. I like it as much as my Galaxy flagship except that the camera is mediocre. I use it around the house as a micro-tablet and in the car for GPS nav.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,485
    Feedback Score
    0
    I personally think there is a fairly good-sized niche market for someone to take advantage of in smaller-sized phones with decent performance. Look at the gazillions of phones that Apple sells in smaller sizes. Why doesn't some Android company care to copy that aspect of iPhones when they copy everything else! My wife loves her iPhone SE and I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos and also the general smoothness of operation. She got hers on a GoPhone deal, and there are many such deals right now with other providers. IMHO it's the best really small phone going. I am seriously tempted to get one, though my Google Pixel 2 has a much better camera. Otherwise, I'm not sure Android is as good as the Apple ecosystem.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,470
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Lower, but not lowest end. I have purchased several lowest end AT&T Prepaid phones. They are all usable, but one is pretty awful.
    My lowest end phone is the Moto E4. I purchased mine for $40 last year (with Verizon prepaid subsidy). But since it is over a $100 phone outright, there are a lot of phones below it that I haven't tested it.

    I've heard plenty of bad things about cheap phones other people have purchased, and quickly returned.

    The other big thing with low end phones is that you are unlikely to get major OS upgrades. The E4 is at 7.1.1, and isn't going to get a new version.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,470
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Four View Post
    My wife loves her iPhone SE and I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the photos and also the general smoothness of operation. She got hers on a GoPhone deal
    If I didn't already have a backup iPhone, the current deal of $145 on ATT Prepaid (with $45 worth of credits) would be tempting if I needed another backup phone. But I can't warrant it to myself for my "home" phone replacement where I'm using the E4 now.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    934
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I often thought the 5X would be a good phone. It would be nice if there was some way to get Nougat without installing a custom ROM. Is an Oreo custom ROM available for the 5X?

    I never tried one, but are 5X cameras anywhere near as good as the iPhone SE cameras?
    I think there's Nougat but no Oreo. i rooted mine and installed Lineage and Xposed.

    Keep in mind that the dual SIM is 4G/2G like most dual SIM's from the last couple of years. You can switch which one is 4G on the fly. SD is a dedicated slot.

    I liked the camera but I don't know how they compare to the iPhone's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2017, 05:47 AM
  2. Unlocked Dell Aero 3G Android Phone, 5MP $ 109 for Bell,Telus,AT&T & more @ CanadaGSM
    By canadagsm.ca in forum Canadagsm.ca Best deals in mobilephones, accessories and unlocking all under one roof
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
  3. What site do you recommend for unlocked gsm phones?
    By jmj in forum AT&T Regular Phones
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 12:44 AM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 09:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks