Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does speed really matter?

Feedback Score

Does speed really matter?

Was at a graduation today and did a few speed test. Tmobile pulled 20, VZ about 4 and couldn't run on Sprint. I was able to do all I needed on VZ including streaming.
    How important are speed numbers to you guys if your services does what you need it to?

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    No not really. To me fast speeds are more marketing and bragging rights. If I can use data that's the important part, not the blazing speeds. Was in a rural area yesterday with Verizon and TMobile. Both made calls text and data worked. Both were around 10 down and worked similarly

If one had been 50 or 100 down it wouldn't have changed the experience or made it any better in that situation.
    Last edited by themanhimself; 06-10-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Faster speeds can help latency, so web pages will load a little faster. Or if you personal hotspot.

I only left Verizon due to where I sat in my workplace Verizon would often drop to 1X/3G, and data was unusable at this setting. If it had stayed on LTE, even 2-3mb, I would still be on Verizon. Sometimes ATT LTE will drop to speed tests of 2mb, but it remains usable. (I generally don't watch video on my phone, let alone at work).
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Faster speeds can help latency, so web pages will load a little faster. Or if you personal hotspot.

I only left Verizon due to where I sat in my workplace Verizon would often drop to 1X/3G, and data was unusable at this setting. If it had stayed on LTE, even 2-3mb, I would still be on Verizon. Sometimes ATT LTE will drop to speed tests of 2mb, but it remains usable. (I generally don't watch video on my phone, let alone at work).
    Very true.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I’m a Speedtest nerd, so yes. Speed is very important to me when choosing carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don’t need to run a Speedtest to be able to tell I’m on a 5, 20 or more than 50 mbps connection. So yeah it matters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    Was at a graduation today and did a few speed test. Tmobile pulled 20, VZ about 4 and couldn't run on Sprint. I was able to do all I needed on VZ including streaming.
    How important are speed numbers to you guys if your services does what you need it to?

Not very important if I get at least 2-4 Mbps. That is all I need to do what I need to do without noticing slowness.

Better network speeds are good for everyone though. With more speed (throughput) available, more users can get decent speeds without congesting the cell.

Speed testing is the new train spotting. It's just a hobby with no real significance other than collecting bragging rights.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    To an extent: yes.

The faster the network is overall the faster it can process little requests like sending a simple MMS to providing a fast tethering experience or movie upload.

For the average person however they can do most things on a mobile device with speeds as low as 512 Kbps up to 5 Mbps.

Interesting note: A few weeks ago I saw someone complaining that he was averaging only 30 Mbps speeds and he was very disappointed. This is what happens when we see people post random 200 Mbps speeds and we feel we are somehow missing out.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post

I think you asked the wrong question and that you answered your own question. Your speed tests were meaningless because your connections were fast enough to achieve your goals/needs. A better question might be to ask when or how is speed important. And as far as the speed test nerds go, that only care about the number and not the usability.... that speaks for itself.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    I think you asked the wrong question and that you answered your own question. Your speed tests were meaningless because your connections were fast enough to achieve your goals/needs. A better question might be to ask when or how is speed important. And as far as the speed test nerds go, that only care about the number and not the usability.... that speaks for itself.
    Numbers and usability come hand-in-hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I was living fine on my backup phone on a Verizon MVNO at 5mb (3-5 at home), but I switched Verizon MVNOs due to VoLTE. For me, VoLTE provided better voice quality and coverage than CDMA on I-44 in Oklahoma. YMMV.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Does speed really matter?

To further expound on my last comment, back in the day before UDP, the networks of the big two were pretty stable in terms of load. I found If I was pulling around 10-20 mbps from a site that’s about where speeds stayed throughout the day and it was pretty usable.
    Now with unlimited being a thing, I find speeds dramatically different within seconds of two different tests. A site normally pulling 10-20 mbps would become completely unusable half the time. If you’re deprioritized this issue becomes greatly magnified.

All this makes it now more important than ever to have a great excess in capacity on sites.
    I’ll give you an example, a few weeks ago I was at the post office and I was pulling 100 mbps consistently. This past week I was in the same exact location on the same site and carrier combo pulling only 5 mbps. I find this happening on many sites in my area, I can give another example of a site I was pulling 100 on mid day and the next week I was crawling at 1 mbps during the same time of day. If those sites didn’t have the capacity they have, that peak demand situation would very likely render things useless for everyone, particularly deprioritized users.

As you can see, speed is a measure of excess capacity on a site at that specific point in time. You don’t need very high speeds to get things done on a device, but you want the site to be as fast as possible to support peak demand.

Feedback Score
    I like speed, it shows the true capacity of a carrier, but I rather have a carrier who will give say 20 Mbps consistently than a network that has speed islands. Consistency over speed for me.

Feedback Score
    The majority of my years being a FiOS internet customer I had the 20 Mbps plan. Mind you, it met my needs 85 percent of the time except when their was congestion. My speeds would trickle around dinner time and at other times. My speed is currently 100 Mbps. I don't know what the hoopla is over getting 100 Mbps up to 1 gigabit service. It sounds like another marketing scheme being thrown at customers. We are being told why quote un quote we need these super fast speeds. If you want to call it that. Why I need 1 gbps service that can connect up to 100 devices is beneath me. But, Verizon and their rivals can tell us why! To fill their pockets. He

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jameny5; 06-10-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Missing a word

Feedback Score
    Imho it's ridiculous that the same companies that are telling people that they need above 100Mbps are often the same ones telling people that ~10Mbps is plenty good enough and they should be happy they are able to get anything at all.

Especially when it comes to lobbying efforts.

Like you go to suddenlink they don't even show any plans below 50Mbps on their main page yet here they don't offer anything above 15Mbps meaning the unbonded ADSL2+ is actually faster in some parts of town (18Mbps)

As to the main topic I need coverage mostly so i'm willing to tolerate slow speeds in more places compared to having no service at all.
    In my general area Verizon has the best coverage AT&T is a close second and both are roughly on par speed wise. Sprint has decent coverage of the area (still a fraction of AT&T/Verizon's coverage) t-mobile has the worst coverage of the four but by far the best speeds where they do have coverage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast