Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile Fastest US Mobile Network: May 2018

Attachment 158296

Who has the fastest LTE network in the US? For May 2018 it is T-Mobile, with Verizon coming in second.

T-Mobile was the fastest for the third month in a row and reached a new milestone with a 33.09 Mbps national average download speed, Verizon also reached a new milestone crossing 30 Mbps for the first time in our index with an average of 30.05 Mbps national average download. The run away by T-Mobile and Verizon continues.

For the month of May both AT&T and Sprint had some decent gains in download performance with Sprint closing in on 25 Mbps national average download speed.

Read more here: https://speedsmart.net/wireless_index/may_2018/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Wow, is Sprint really getting better? When I had them, I can’t recall getting 25mbps download EVER, even once. And now it’s their average? I’m surprised.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Wow, is Sprint really getting better? When I had them, I can’t recall getting 25mbps download EVER, even once. And now it’s their average? I’m surprised.
    Did you have a tri-band phone when you had Sprint service? Sprint has not expanded much in years. They have overlaid a good part of their coverage areas with bands 26 and 41 in addition to the usual [Edit] band 25 (@1.9 GHz).
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 06-10-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Did you have a tri-band phone when you had Sprint service? Sprint has not expanded much in years. They have overlaid a good part of their coverage areas with bands 26 and 41 in addition to the usual band 19.
    Band 19? I though they only had 25, 26, and 41?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    Band 19? I though they only had 25, 26, and 41?
    You are correct. Thank you for catching that.

I was thinking band 25 at 1.9 GHz.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Did you have a tri-band phone when you had Sprint service? Sprint has not expanded much in years. They have overlaid a good part of their coverage areas with bands 26 and 41 in addition to the usual [Edit] band 25 (@1.9 GHz).
    Yes, I had the same iPhone 6s Plus I still have and my wife had the same iPhone 7 Plus (which she actually got from Sprint but now we use on T-Mo).

I just checked their coverage map and it sure doesn’t look any different. 3G all around where I live, just like a couple years ago when I had them and more recently when my friends who have Sprint complain. Not sure how they’re averaging that type of download! Actually, it seems high for the other carriers too.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Looks like Verizon beat out T-Mobile in the PC Mag speed test. However T-Mobile won the Southeast which is where I live. Just remember almost none of the 600 Mhz spectrum will be tested in this report since it hasn't hit many Metro areas yet.

PC Mag: FASTEST MOBILE NETWORKS 2018

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I like and dislike all the carriers so I don't have but so much skin in the game.

The crazy part is T-Mobile is considered to be a viable competitor to Verizon in some ways now. Couldn't say that a few years ago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    The Android app looks nothing like what they show. No maps, no list of own speedtests. It used 14 MB on a mobile data test, 25 MB on cable Wifi. It looks like one of those tests that uses a fixed time for the test rather than a fixed transfer size. Watch out for using it on high speed mobile data. I prefer the tests at DSLReports where you can limit the data used to 6 MB or so.

As far as the headline goes, the difference between T-Mobile 33.09 Mbps and Verizon 30.05 Mbps is of no practical difference in usability. A 3 Mbps lead for bragging rights is worth about a bucket of warm spit to me.

All of the net speed surveys have some built-in bias. This one is fatally flawed because it doesn't average in all of the 0 Mbps in areas that T-Mo doesn't cover. People with T-Mo don't run speed tests much where there is no signal.

Verizon wins at Mbps per square mile covered hands down without even breaking a sweat.

T-Mo is building their network rapidly. If they are able to buy Sprint, they should be able to do amazing things.

Feedback Score
    I actually do like running speed tests in areas with weak signal. I figure that if I can still get 5mbps with one bar of LTE it’s as good as all the 30+Mbps speeds out there.

Consistency is why I have T-Mobile. Of course the speeds aren’t bad either!

Feedback Score
    There is a post on Reddit which declares Verizon the fastest that was published recently by PC Magazine.

https://www.pcmag.com/Fastest-Mobile-Networks

And the beat goes on...

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is definitely making improvements in coverage, even in rural areas but significantly lag behind Verizon and AT&T in geographic coverage. Sometimes Legere reminds me of a barker at a circus but T-Mobile's effect on the overall cellular market is undeniable. At the end of the day, coverage is king for most users.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    T-Mobile is definitely making improvements in coverage, even in rural areas but significantly lag behind Verizon and AT&T in geographic coverage. Sometimes Legere reminds me of a barker at a circus but T-Mobile's effect on the overall cellular market is undeniable. At the end of the day, coverage is king for most users.
    Until T-Mobile gets access to all their new 600 Mhz they don't have enough spectrum to cover the nation. However they are building out like super fast in rural ares in the Mid-West where a year ago they didn't even try to compete.

Who I think is a joke is AT&T that not keeping up with Verizon and T-Mobile in the Metro areas. AT&T is over rated and over priced.

Rootmetric's new 1H2018 report has started to show a vast improvement for T-Mobile across the nation. At the end of Rootmetric's 2H2017 T-Mobile ended the year as having won or tied for #1 in only 37 of the 125 markets. Now with just a parcial 1H2018 tests added to the older 2H2017 test that hasn't been released T-Mobile has already surpassed 2H2017 Metro Markets report.

As of today from Rootmetrics Overall Winner of the 125 Metro areas report;

Verizon has 97 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.
    T-Mobile has 61 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.
    AT&T has 39 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.
    Sprint has 2 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    How many more square miles does AT&T cover vs. T-Mobile as an example or how many more does Verizon over AT&T?

I think it's fair to say that people in rural areas have a different perception on what "most Americans need," compared to the majority of Americans who live in urban areas; and I was born and raised in a rural area so I know.

I agree that coverage is king but coverage for me and coverage for you might be substantially different.