Thread: Trouble activating iPhone

Feedback Score

Trouble activating iPhone

I'm trying to help a friend activate an iPhone 6 on PP. She purchased it online from a reputable cell phone sales website. It's a Verizon-branded phone.

The PP chat rep said it is not eligible for activation with PP. Here's the reason that was stated: We cannot activate prepaid or unlocked devices. We can only work with devices that are certified by our network partner.

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Feedback Score
    Returning with more info after some investigating.

I'm not on PP anymore and it looks like some things have changed since I was. So 'unlocked' devices are now (for the most part) not going to work?

The first CSR my friend chatted with said it could not be activated.

I did a chat to inquire as to why, and that CSR said it's eligible.

My friend then chatted with them again and the CSR she got said it can't be activated and gave the statement noted in my first message.

I'm assuming the issue is that this phone has been 'unlocked'. She was told they can activate it but cannot guarantee it will work.

Is it likely that the phone will *not* work? Or is this a matter of them just being extra-cautious? Again - it is a Verizon-branded device.

TIA!

Feedback Score
    If it was, for example, an iPhone 6 sold by Verizon at a very low cost for its own prepaid service, then it will be ineligible to be activated anywhere except on Verizon prepaid until it has met the current continuous service requirement. The same would be true for Total Wireless and Straight Talk iPhone 6 phones they sell.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like it's a prepaid device that wasn't disclosed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pclover View Post
    Sounds like it's a prepaid device that wasn't disclosed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Thanks - that's actually what I assumed, but then they said something to her that weighted their previous statement more toward 'unlocked' being the problem. The phone she purchased was advertised as unlocked. And again, I had not realized unlocked wasn't supposed to work on PP or I'd have red-flagged that phone when it was shared with me prior to the purchase.

Anyway... she had been trying to 'activate' the phone with them. She is already a PP customer and already had an LTE device with SIM active on PP. I was just riding the wave of the terminology she was using with her until last night I realized that really what she was trying to do was an ESN change, which isn't exactly the same as 'activating' a phone. I suggested she try again with that terminology.

It makes NO sense to me, but she did another Chat with them and told them she wanted to do an ESN change, and that worked! It would seem that if the device is ineligible, whether one said activate or ESN change would be irrelevant. However, it's up and running now.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I realize the issue is fixed now, but fwiw, unless something completely new is going on, "unlocked" phones will work just fine on PPC. Many unlocked and universal Moto X Pure Edition, Moto G4, Moto G5, Apple iPhone SIM Free, and others I'm not remembering at the moment have and are being used on PPC.