Thread: Will this work? - Combining leftover balance with a new bundle at the end of a year

Feedback Score

Will this work? - Combining leftover balance with a new bundle at the end of a year

This forum has been very helpful to me on my TracFone journey. Thought I'd run this by you folks and get your input.

So I saw the great deal on the LG Fiesta 2 with 1500 t/t/gb, and I'm thinking of buying it. My plan is as follows, and please let me know if it will work or if there are likely to be hiccups.

I bought a HSN Verizon bundle last December, then switched to BYOP AT&T a few months ago using the $1 BYOP ebay sim kit. I'll have plenty of minutes/text/gb left at the end of the year (I'm estimating around 1200 t/t/gb left over).

My plan is to buy the LG Fiesta 2 bundle right now, and then activate it when my year is up in December.

Will I run into problems trying to combine the Fiesta's 1500 t/t/gb with my leftover 1200 t/t/gb?

I plan to do this over chat, as advised here. What exactly should I say I want to do - activate the Fiesta along with combining my existing balance with the Fiesta's balance?

Thanks for any and all advice. I know I couldn't have navigated TracFone without you guys' help!

Feedback Score
    Why wait?

If you transfer your existing service/number to the bundle phone everything will combine now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1. Like tsusr19 said, there's no need to wait. The 1 year of service from the bundle will add 365 days to YOUR CURRENT SERVICE END DATE, so it doesn't matter when it is added.

2. You'll need to tell the rep to activate the Fiesta 2 WITH A TRANSFER from your current phone. Your current phone number, buckets, days are moved to the Fiesta 2, then 1500/1500/1500 and 1 year are added to it.

3. If you like the Fiesta 2 (and Verizon service), then use it. If not, transfer everything to a new TF/AT&T BYOP SIM and use it with your current phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Why wait?
    If you transfer your existing service/number to the bundle phone everything will combine now.
    Ah, I forgot that TF is different from other prepaid. Thanks for reminding me that I can add time at any time and don't have to wait till the year is up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    1. Like tsusr19 said, there's no need to wait. The 1 year of service from the bundle will add 365 days to YOUR CURRENT SERVICE END DATE, so it doesn't matter when it is added.

2. You'll need to tell the rep to activate the Fiesta 2 WITH A TRANSFER from your current phone. Your current phone number, buckets, days are moved to the Fiesta 2, then 1500/1500/1500 and 1 year are added to it.

3. If you like the Fiesta 2 (and Verizon service), then use it. If not, transfer everything to a new TF/AT&T BYOP SIM and use it with your current phone.
    Thanks for the exact wording in point number 2 above. Certainly don't want to end up with my current balance wiped out!

About point number 3, will I have to buy another byop kit on ebay? I am currently using TF's AT&T sim in an unlocked Metro phone. After waiting a few weeks after activating the Fiesta, can I transfer to the current AT&T sim or will I need a new sim from ebay?

Thanks for holding my hand through this!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I am currently using TF's AT&T sim in an unlocked Metro phone. After waiting a few weeks after activating the Fiesta, can I transfer to the current AT&T sim or will I need a new sim from ebay?
    TF won't let you reuse a GSM SIM, so you'll need a new SIM for the transfer back. If there are Dollar General stores where you live, check and see if they still sell TF SIM kits for $1 each. Some still have the old SIM kits with TMFL, some have the newer kits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    TF won't let you reuse a GSM SIM, so you'll need a new SIM for the transfer back. If there are Dollar General stores where you live, check and see if they still sell TF SIM kits for $1 each. Some still have the old SIM kits with TMFL, some have the newer kits.
    No Dollar General stores here. Only Family Dollar stores, and they have the TF kits for ten bucks if I recall correctly. So it's ebay for the AT&T sim I guess. The original Verizon phone I bought (J3 Luna Pro) never worked out for me - I use Hangouts/GoogleVoice for texts/calls, and calls wouldn't ring, texts would arrive real late. Haven't figured out if it was because I got a lemon of a phone, or if it's becauseVerizon has spotty coverage inside buildings, or if it was because TF-Verizon doesn't roam, or because of Verizon's VoLTE complications, or for some combination of reasons. Would love to know why, but I guess I'll never know why TF-Verizon's phone never worked out for me.

Feedback Score
    No Dollar General stores here. Only Family Dollar stores, and they have the TF kits for ten bucks if I recall correctly. So it's ebay for the AT&T sim I guess. The original Verizon phone I bought (J3 Luna Pro) never worked out for me - I use Hangouts/GoogleVoice for texts/calls, and calls wouldn't ring, texts would arrive real late. Haven't figured out if it was because I got a lemon of a phone, or if it's becauseVerizon has spotty coverage inside buildings, or if it was because TF-Verizon doesn't roam, or because of Verizon's VoLTE complications, or for some combination of reasons. Would love to know why, but I guess I'll never know why TF-Verizon's phone never worked out for me.
    Family Dollar is where a lot of us struck gold with the Tracfone SIM kits a while back.
    If you go to one have them scan the Tracfone SIM kit packaging.
    Might be a dollar. But it's a good idea to have them scan it because they don't always know what the price is.

Sent from my Magnificent Moto E4

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    No Dollar General stores here. Only Family Dollar stores, and they have the TF kits for ten bucks if I recall correctly. So it's ebay for the AT&T sim I guess.
    Best Buy still showing the BYOD kit for $1.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Feedback Score
    Do you have a Kroger or store in the Kroger family?
    My local Kroger has the BYOP Tracfone kits for a dollar.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowyWhite View Post
    Family Dollar is where a lot of us struck gold with the Tracfone SIM kits a while back.
    If you go to one have them scan the Tracfone SIM kit packaging.
    Wait, whowhatwhat? What is this? Sounds like I missed a deal... I mean what is it for, a SIM kit to bring your own smartphone to tracfone? And whats the normal price? Curious if this has any other goodies (bundled time or something) or is just a way to migrate service to and from a BYOP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit_shifter View Post
    Wait, whowhatwhat? What is this? Sounds like I missed a deal... I mean what is it for, a SIM kit to bring your own smartphone to tracfone? And whats the normal price?
    Yep, you missed a GREAT deal. Around Oct 2016, Family Dollar was selling a TF BYOP SIM Kit which included a $20 time card for $1 (list price $29.99. They were also selling a NET10 SIM Kit with a $40 time card for $1 (list price $49.99). I got a dozen of each; someone in this forum bought 50 kits or more, which took some doing because each store had no more than 5 of each kit.

Name:  Tracfone-SIM-Kits.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  60.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit_shifter View Post
    Wait, whowhatwhat? What is this? Sounds like I missed a deal... I mean what is it for, a SIM kit to bring your own smartphone to tracfone? And whats the normal price? Curious if this has any other goodies (bundled time or something) or is just a way to migrate service to and from a BYOP.
    It was supposed to be a dollar for just a BYOP SIM kit but somewhere along the line the kits that were scanning at a dollar turned out to the ones with an airtime card, 60 minutes I believe and 90 days of service.
    These activated with triple minutes and texts and data.
    So for a dollar a lot of us scored big.
    My local Family Dollar only had 5 kits per peg.
    Some went far and wide to score these treasures.
    My brother in Illinois picked up some extras for me.
    And it also turned out that the Net10 kits were also scanning at a dollar.
    Those had a month of unlimited service.
    They were supposed to be $49 and the Tracfone kits were supposed to be $29.

Some people here scored dozens of the kits.
    Loaded up family and friends and made a lot of money flipping the kits on eBay.