Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Does any phone NOT use a USB jack to charge the battery?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

    Does any phone NOT use a USB jack to charge the battery?

    I absolutely despise USB connectors in any size (mini, micro, etc.) They always struck me as too flimsy and are such a pain to insert correctly, straight-in with no wiggle room. My brother had to buy a new phone because he mangled the female USB jack on his Verizon phone and now the same thing's happened to me on my Boost Mobile LGTribute HD. Are there any phones that still have the old pin-style jack anymore? Several different sales people at different companies have told me no I don't mind occasionally using a USB port to transfer data but not every time I want to charge it. This is a prime consideration for me. I don't really care if its a smartphone or not. All I really care about is talk. I don't even care about texting.
    Please HELP! I need to replace my broken phone as soon as possible

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Buy a magnetic phone cord charger adapter. Google it.

    Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,229
    Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is also the wireless charging option. Pricier.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17,675
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and use a wireless charger exclusively. My phone still has a USB charging port but I do not use it to charge my phone. It is useful if I want to synch it with my desktop computer.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

    Sarcasm is a fine art...

    "Don't believe everything you think"

    It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,750
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by btrl4 View Post
    I absolutely despise USB connectors in any size (mini, micro, etc.) They always struck me as too flimsy and are such a pain to insert correctly, straight-in with no wiggle room. My brother had to buy a new phone because he mangled the female USB jack on his Verizon phone and now the same thing's happened to me on my Boost Mobile LGTribute HD. Are there any phones that still have the old pin-style jack anymore? Several different sales people at different companies have told me no I don't mind occasionally using a USB port to transfer data but not every time I want to charge it. This is a prime consideration for me. I don't really care if its a smartphone or not. All I really care about is talk. I don't even care about texting.
    Please HELP! I need to replace my broken phone as soon as possible
    USB C can be inserted any way, i.e., there is no up or down. Many mid-range phones and all high end phones now come with USB C, but are of course more expensive than low-end phones.

    It's interesting to hear about the problems you mentioned with micro USB connections. My wife and mom have used micro USB charging port phones for many years with no issues. My mom's phone is 9 years old, and the micro USB charging port is still working just like always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Buy a magnetic phone cord charger adapter. Google it.

    Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
    I've used these for more than a year on my cheap LG Phoenix 2 that has a micro USB charging port. They work great. They aren't as cheap as I would have expected, even from China, but they work, and eliminate the issues btrl4 mentioned. I have several 2-piece sets, which can be used with any existing micro USB cable, vs the kind with a dedicated cable with a special magnetic end.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    USB C can be inserted any way, i.e., there is no up or down. Many mid-range phones and all high end phones now come with USB C, but are of course more expensive than low-end phones.

    It's interesting to hear about the problems you mentioned with micro USB connections. My wife and mom have used micro USB charging port phones for many years with no issues. My mom's phone is 9 years old, and the micro USB charging port is still working just like always.

    I've used these for more than a year on my cheap LG Phoenix 2 that has a micro USB charging port. They work great. They aren't as cheap as I would have expected, even from China, but they work, and eliminate the issues btrl4 mentioned. I have several 2-piece sets, which can be used with any existing micro USB cable, vs the kind with a dedicated cable with a special magnetic end.
    Whenever I try to plug the charger's micro USB plug into the phone it seems that I've inevitably got it upside down. I can tell by the small resistance I feel. So then when I turn it the other way around I have to use slightly more force than what I just felt in order to push it in. I'm very uncomfortable with this and I'm sure it contributed to my mangling my phone's jack. I suppose that not only would the old-style pin-type plug & jack avoid this problem but so would a USB Type C connector. So let me revise my question to include USB Type C connectors as well. I have to admit that I'm a little puzzled by all this discussion about USB to 3.5mm adspters that were originally intended for use with headphones. I should clarify that i'm not just looking for chargers with 3.5mm pin-style plugs, but more importantly which phones have 3.5mm pin-style jacks, which I feel are much sturdier and durable than any USB, including Type C. I don't feel that permanently plugging an adapter in to a phone and then repeatedly plugging the charger in to the adapter is really an answer - too clumsy and unwiieldly, and it would require both hands.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    30
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Sonim XP5 has a magnetic charging connector (sort of like the MagSafe connectors on Apple's laptops). Probably some other Sonim phones use it too. The other end of the cable is USB type A, but you can just leave that end connected to the wall charger and pretend there's no USB plug involved.

    Anyway, I think it would be pretty difficult to mangle.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,296
    Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    0
    Get a phone with Qi. The Micro USB problem is real, I've seen several phones that had to be replaced because of crappy Micro USB jacks. Unfortunately, with phones today not having removable batteries, you're totally screwed if the USB jack breaks and you don't have Qi. At least back in the day, something like an SGS 3 could be kept alive with an external battery charger. I won't buy a primary phone without Qi as a result. My Moto G6 has a USB-C, which is better than Micro-USB, but I'm still careful with it. At least if my SGS 7's Micro USB jack breaks, I can charge it from Qi for a while.
    Happy AT&T customer and addicted Speedtester in CT
    AT&T Galaxy S7
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    693
    Feedback Score
    0
    USB was never designed for daily usage as charger. Even the C variant is very flimsy because of backwards design. Apple got it better at their second try.
    Personally I have switched to Samsung S7 Edge because of the wireless charging with fast rate.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,750
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I keep seeing suggestions for more expensive phones. There's nothing wrong with that, but for cheap phones, like my $29.99 LG Phoenix 2, in my opinion, nothing beats the original suggestion of the magnetic charging/data adapters as a solution to btrl4's concern. I ordered 3 sets in March, 2017, when I started using the Phoenix 2 as my primary phone, and have been using them with it ever since.

    Examples:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-C...-/182311070644
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4A-Magnet...-/253365189714

    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    Buy a magnetic phone cord charger adapter. Google it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I've used these for more than a year on my cheap LG Phoenix 2 that has a micro USB charging port. They work great. They aren't as cheap as I would have expected, even from China, but they work, and eliminate the issues btrl4 mentioned. I have several 2-piece sets, which can be used with any existing micro USB cable, vs the kind with a dedicated cable with a special magnetic end.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    68
    Feedback Score
    0
    Another option are the Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad + Receiver Kit + Adapter For iPhone & Android.
    Something like this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless...item2a9b921ed9

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    17,675
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Qi wireless charging is not available on all cell phones. Just saying.........

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DC-MD-VA
    Posts
    540
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I keep seeing suggestions for more expensive phones. There's nothing wrong with that, but for cheap phones, like my $29.99 LG Phoenix 2, in my opinion, nothing beats the original suggestion of the magnetic charging/data adapters as a solution to btrl4's concern. I ordered 3 sets in March, 2017, when I started using the Phoenix 2 as my primary phone, and have been using them with it ever since.

    Examples:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-C...-/182311070644
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4A-Magnet...-/253365189714
    Interesting, I might give it a try just for the heck of it, seems cheap enough. Will they work if you use a case? Frankly, I don't find it difficult to look at the cable before inserting. Most of my cables are white so it's easy enough to see the icon to indicate the 'top' side.
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,750
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Interesting, I might give it a try just for the heck of it, seems cheap enough. Will they work if you use a case? Frankly, I don't find it difficult to look at the cable before inserting. Most of my cables are white so it's easy enough to see the icon to indicate the 'top' side.
    I don't use a case on my Phoenix 2 because it cost only $29.99, it has a wonderfully textured back with the perfect amount of grip, and I like how relatively thin and sleek it is without one.

    You can see how the adapter looks in the pics at the links I provided to try to determine if it will work with your case. It probably depends on the case.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    199
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile, Truphone, US Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The original Galaxy Nexus (Samsung I9250) had 3 pogo pins in the side that mated with a charging cradle. You could even connect speakers to the cradle, and use the phone to play music while it was charging. The cradles show up on Ebay from time to time, usually at a fraction of the original $90 (!) price.

    I think Samsung also put pogo pins on at least one tablet and maybe on another phone or two, but they're all probably now way too old (2012-13 or so) to interest most people. Too bad; the pins worked nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. does any provider not suck?
    By gui3 in forum Provider Rants, Kudos and Recommendations
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 02:52 AM
  2. can the USB cable also be used to charge the phone?
    By nimit in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 02:03 PM
  3. Does any phone or provider have Caller NAME ID?
    By RenoWirelessGuru in forum AT&T
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 02:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks