Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best $200-$250 second hand or new phone

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Regarding phone volume, I have VERY GOOD hearing, but with the Moto phones that I've had (E, E4, G, G4 Play) it seems like I always had to concentrate to fully understand the caller. With my other phones (LGs, Samsung), the info just seems to flow effortlessly into my ear. With the E4 that I had recently, its volume was definitely too low for my taste.

Regarding your Ultimate 2, it's correct that it does not have a SIM. You can't do a SIM swap, but you can transfer service from it to a new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Regarding phone volume, I have VERY GOOD hearing, but with the Moto phones that I've had (E, E4, G, G4 Play) it seems like I always had to concentrate to fully understand the caller. With my other phones (LGs, Samsung), the info just seems to flow effortlessly into my ear. With the E4 that I had recently, its volume was definitely too low for my taste.

Regarding your Ultimate 2, it's correct that it does not have a SIM. You can't do a SIM swap, but you can transfer service from it to a new phone.
    Ok well maybe I should forget about Moto phones in general since we are both in our 60's and probably don't hear as well. I do like more of a stock Android experience and it does seem like Moto's are good at that. Are there others?

Are there any phones that are as good as the Moto G5 Plus but with better call volumes?

So since I can't swap SIMs and can only transfer service can I transfer it back in case she doesn't like a phone I purchase? Of course then there's the issue I had when I first transferred service to my old Droid Turbo and it did not go smoothly trying to activate in my area. If I remember correctly 2-3 years ago I sent my Turbo to ST Dog and he activated from his location and then it worked fine don't know if I would run into same situation or not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2874 View Post
    So since I can't swap SIMs and can only transfer service can I transfer it back in case she doesn't like a phone I purchase?
    The Ultimate 2 is a 3G CDMA phone. If I understand things correctly, Verizon plans to discontinue support for 3G phones on their network. I don't know if they still allow a 3G phone like the U2 to be (re)activated.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

My wife's Moto G4 Play is extremely loud, for both the ear and speakerphone.

Does the service make a difference? She has a T-Mobile SIM card in her Moto G4 Play.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Does the service make a difference? She has a T-Mobile SIM card in her Moto G4 Play.
    I don't know. The Motos that I had were mostly used on TF/AT&T.

Feedback Score
    The Ultimate 2 is a 3G CDMA phone. If I understand things correctly, Verizon plans to discontinue support for 3G phones on their network. I don't know if they still allow a 3G phone like the U2 to be (re)activated.
    So one of these days my wife’s Ultimate 2 will just no longer work with Verizon?

So the way to do this is just activate any new phone on its own, try it out, and then later transfer service from the Ultimate 2?

Very interesting two people both owning Moto G4 Plays and totally different opinions of the sound guess we all hear differently.

As stated earlier I need to use Verizon as my Tracfone provider.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So one of these days my wife’s Ultimate 2 will just no longer work with Verizon?

So the way to do this is just activate any new phone on its own, try it out, and then later transfer service from the Ultimate 2?

Very interesting two people both owning Moto G4 Plays and totally different opinions of the sound guess we all hear differently.

As stated earlier I need to use Verizon as my Tracfone provider.
    Yes, one of these days, namely 1/1/2020 the phone will no longer work. https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...mvnos-can.html

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We've been pondering what TF and Verizon will do when that date draws near. When AT&T dropped support for 2G phones, TF had a campaign to contact owners of TF 2G phones and offered replacement phones.

To activate a new phone on its own, you'll need to buy a time card. A minimal $9.99 30-minute card if it can use the old cards, or a $15 200/500/500 smartphone-only card will do. That phone will get a new phone number. Later on, you can transfer service from the U2 to it, but all the buckets and days (left over after testing) on the new phone will be wiped out.

Addendum:
    If you don't want to lose the buckets/days left over after testing, you can try to find a sympathetic and competent rep, and ask the rep to COMBINE (don't use the word "transfer") the buckets/days of the new phone with that on the U2, make it clear that you want to keep the U2's phone number. The new phone will be deactivated, its buckets/days get added to the U2. Once that's done, then you can TRANSFER everything (phone number, buckets, days) from the U2 to the new phone if you like it.
    Last edited by hpham; 06-13-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added info about COMBINING.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly 2-3 years ago I sent my Turbo to ST Dog and he activated from his location and then it worked fine don't know if I would run into same situation or not.
    I just activated a SIM for you and sent that to you. You had the phone the whole time.
    one would hope it would go smoother now.

The volume thing is personal preference. What works for me may not work for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I just activated a SIM for you and sent that to you. You had the phone the whole time.
    one would hope it would go smoother now.

The volume thing is personal preference. What works for me may not work for you.
    Sorry that’s how bad my memory is.

Think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Moto G5 Plus. Just curious do you think one can tell the difference in weight between say a phone that weighs 5 oz (my Pixel 2) vs 5 1/2 oz (Moto G5Plus) vs 5 3/4 oz (Moto x4) vs 6 1/4 oz (my old Droid Turbo)? While my Droid Turbo had so many positives I absolutely hated the weight and it always bothered me... so now I’m so conscious of phone weights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Yes, one of these days, namely 1/1/2020 the phone will no longer work. https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...mvnos-can.html
    New article...thank you! This confirms there was a June 30, 2018 cutoff date (now extended) for activating both 3G AND non-VoLTE phones on the Verizon network. It was a "rumor" before, but this article gives source references. Huge news for folks with 3G and non-VoLTE phones.

mathfaster...would you post the article in another more relevent (or new) thread? Everybody needs to see this.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Get a cheap VZW LTE phone and swap to it. Something like the Majesty Pro or Rebel.
    They will be at least was good as the Ultimate 2.

Then you can sim swap while testing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    5 oz (my Pixel 2) vs 5 1/2 oz (Moto G5Plus) vs 5 3/4 oz (Moto x4) vs 6 1/4 oz (my old Droid Turbo)?
    The G5+ vs the Pixel2 probably not.

1/2 oz or less isn't really noticeable usually.

But for reference, the Ultimate 2 is listed at 4.5 oz. So compare with your Pixel.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    New article...thank you! This confirms there was a June 30, 2018 cutoff date (now extended) for activating both 3G AND non-VoLTE phones on the Verizon network. It was a "rumor" before, but this article gives source references. Huge news for folks with 3G and non-VoLTE phones.

mathfaster...would you post the article in another more relevent (or new) thread? Everybody needs to see this.
    I put a thread in General PrePaid Discussion sub-forum since it seemed broadly relevant there with all the VZ MNNOs that sub-forum handles.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...aid-discussion

So should we be looking for deals on volte capable phones? Any recommendations? Will this effect GSM phones as of that date?
    Last edited by gmannix; 06-13-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast