Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best method to port out and back in to get the BYOD (and return magicbox)?

Feedback Score

Best method to port out and back in to get the BYOD (and return magicbox)?

Hello all, I'm looking to get on a family member's BYOD one year free plan. How can I best achieve this? I would need to keep my phone number. I would ideally like to move the magicbox to the free line (family member's), but that may not be possible. I would assume I need to return it in order to fully close out my account.

My account:

1. One SERO P line
    2. One Magicbox

Family member:

1. One free line

Would I want to port my number out somewhere for a day, then port back in to the family member's account? I would also need to return the magicbox, right? I don't think they'd let me keep and use the magicbox without an active phone line on my account.

Is there a preferred service provider to port out to as a "holding" entity while Sprint processes the port-in?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewaytoheaven View Post
    Hello all, I'm looking to get on a family member's BYOD one year free plan. How can I best achieve this? I would need to keep my phone number. I would ideally like to move the magicbox to the free line (family member's), but that may not be possible. I would assume I need to return it in order to fully close out my account.

My account:

1. One SERO P line
    2. One Magicbox

Family member:

1. One free line

Would I want to port my number out somewhere for a day, then port back in to the family member's account? I would also need to return the magicbox, right? I don't think they'd let me keep and use the magicbox without an active phone line on my account.

Is there a preferred service provider to port out to as a "holding" entity while Sprint processes the port-in?
    Call Magic Box Tech Support at 844-463-3194 to move the Magic Box from one plan to another. It should not be a problem I would guess because Magic Box is off on its own and is not plan dependent.

Port your number onto a TMobile Prepaid sim for an hour or two (or a day) and then port back in to the free Sprint plan. You can use the same Sprint sims. It can be done for a few dollars by buying a sim number on EBay or a real sim if that is easier for you. You can just feel your way through the steps.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Call Magic Box Tech Support at 844-463-3194 to move the Magic Box from one plan to another. It should not be a problem I would guess because Magic Box is off on its own and is not plan dependent.

Port your number onto a TMobile Prepaid sim for an hour or two (or a day) and then port back in to the free Sprint plan. You can use the same Sprint sims. It can be done for a few dollars by buying a sim number on EBay or a real sim if that is easier for you. You can just feel your way through the steps.
    Could you explain Port out/Port back for a regular thing Sprint line with retaining original number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Could you explain Port out/Port back for a regular thing Sprint line with retaining original number.
    I am tight on time - maybe somebody else can help with the detailed steps.

Or you can check the SlickDeals discussion.

But basically you just port your number from Sprint to a TMO Prepaid sim, then back to Sprint.

You do not even need to have the TMO sim in hand or to use it physically at all. You can get TMO Prepaid sim numbers for $3 on EBay and activate them on the TMO Prepaid $3 paygo plan without having them in hand physically.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-12-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Feedback Score
    I am tight on time - maybe somebody else can help with the detailed steps.

Or you can check the SlickDeals discussion.

But basically you just port your number from Sprint to a TMO Prepaid sim, then back to Sprint.

You do not even need to have the TMO sim in hand or to use it physically at all. You can get TMO Prepaid sim numbers for $3 on EBay and activate them on the TMO Prepaid $3 paygo plan without having them in hand physically.
    Thanks for the Magicbox number! I got an RMA number from them.

I've also scheduled a call (assuming I actually get a call back) from someone in retentions (the front line associate said her supervisor was out today), tomorrow, so maybe they can assist as well. They also said that they might see what other plan options are available (probably none that will beat SERO P and have hotspot), but I'm not holding my breath.

Will need to most likely port out as you suggested with the Tmo prepaid paygo plan if the instructions are simple enough over at SD. Thanks!

Without seeing that particular post over on SD, I assume it would be something like:

1. Buy Tmo SIM on ebay
    2. Activate SIM on Tmo paygo (never done this, so not sure if they need my phone's info at the same time as activating the SIM)
    3. Initiate port from Tmo to Sprint, which will close the Sprint account (this will definitely require that I provide IMEI/MEID to Tmo)
    4. Remove Sprint SIM from device (???)
    5. Port back in to Sprint on the other account

A few days later....

1. I will have received my magicbox RMA (box+label) by now, and will need to send the magicbox back to Sprint.

This should fully close my Sprint account (11 years!)

I wonder if the Tmobile paygo SIMs are available cheaply at a local store? I can just do that instead of worrying about buying the right one off ebay.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Magicbox number! I got an RMA number from them.

I've also scheduled a call (assuming I actually get a call back) from someone in retentions (the front line associate said her supervisor was out today), tomorrow, so maybe they can assist as well. They also said that they might see what other plan options are available (probably none that will beat SERO P and have hotspot), but I'm not holding my breath.

Will need to most likely port out as you suggested with the Tmo prepaid paygo plan if the instructions are simple enough over at SD. Thanks!

Without seeing that particular post over on SD, I assume it would be something like:

1. Buy Tmo SIM on ebay
    2. Activate SIM on Tmo paygo (never done this, so not sure if they need my phone's info at the same time as activating the SIM)
    3. Initiate port from Tmo to Sprint, which will close the Sprint account (this will definitely require that I provide IMEI/MEID to Tmo)
    4. Remove Sprint SIM from device (???)
    5. Port back in to Sprint on the other account

A few days later....

1. I will have received my magicbox RMA (box+label) by now, and will need to send the magicbox back to Sprint.

This should fully close my Sprint account (11 years!)

I wonder if the Tmobile paygo SIMs are available cheaply at a local store? I can just do that instead of worrying about buying the right one off ebay.
    Re the magic box, if they fail to ship you an adequate box (as they often do), just slap the label on the box you have and ignore the weight limit legend on the label, which just means Sprint will be billed extra above the default shipping cost.

Your steps are good!

In step 3, you do not need to supply the imei/meid to tmo. They just activate the sim alone in their way of doing things.
    You do not need step 4 - just leave the Sprint sim in the phone. You never need to actually put the TMO sim in a phone. I did two of these yesterday by the way using Ebay sims, sight unseen.

Generally TMO sims are not cheap locally unfortunately. Better to look on EBay / Amazon imho.

Feedback Score
    Re the magic box, if they fail to ship you an adequate box (as they often do), just slap the label on the box you have and ignore the weight limit legend on the label, which just means Sprint will be billed extra above the default shipping cost.

Your steps are good!

In step 3, you do not need to supply the imei/meid to tmo. They just activate the sim alone in their way of doing things.
    You do not need step 4 - just leave the Sprint sim in the phone. You never need to actually put the TMO sim in a phone. I did two of these yesterday by the way using Ebay sims, sight unseen.

Generally TMO sims are not cheap locally unfortunately. Better to look on EBay / Amazon imho.
    Awesome! Since I won't have a physical SIM from buying locally for Tmo, how would I receive phone calls/texts for the hour or so that my ported Sprint number is on Tmo? (or would I just not get anything during that time)?

Feedback Score
    Wait, so they're going to send me the label in the mail, but forget to send me the box? Lol

Feedback Score
    Wait, so they're going to send me the label in the mail, but forget to send me the box? Lol
    I did not post every last detail because it is a waste of time doing so and does not matter. I was trying to help.

Usually they just send a phone return kit first time which is just an envelope and label. You can just use the label part on your own box.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-12-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    I did not post every last detail because it is a waste of time doing so and does not matter. I was trying to help.

Usually they just send a phone return kit first time which is just an envelope and label. You can just use the label part on your own box.
    Hmm? I was asking a genuine question. If you found any snark, it's directed at Sprint, not you!

You're very active here on these forums and SD, so your opinions are welcome.

Hopefully it's not a label they sent the first time with the MB. I'm not sure what that might be, assuming they even sent it then. If it's just now that they're going to send a label, that's fine. I can always find my own external box to use.

Feedback Score
    Hmm? I was asking a genuine question. If you found any snark, it's directed at Sprint, not you!

You're very active here on these forums and SD, so your opinions are welcome.

Hopefully it's not a label they sent the first time with the MB. I'm not sure what that might be, assuming they even sent it then. If it's just now that they're going to send a label, that's fine. I can always find my own external box to use.

Oh that's good then.

Well we'll see. I kept my original shipping box. People have had trouble getting them to send another but maybe they will in your case.

They send a prepaid UPS pickup/return label in their return kit regardless.

Did you try to get them to transfer it to the free plan on the other account? Or you can request a new one for the new account.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Feedback Score

Did you try to get them to transfer it to the free plan on the other account? Or you can request a new one for the new account.
    Yes, I did attempt to have them transfer it by calling the number you had provided. They said they could not do a direct transfer, but would be open to having me return my current MB and then ordering a new one after July 20. Apparently, the new model is coming out at that time.

I think that's what I'll have to do unless retentions wows me with an offer to stay on SERO and keep everything as is.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I did attempt to have them transfer it by calling the number you had provided. They said they could not do a direct transfer, but would be open to having me return my current MB and then ordering a new one after July 20. Apparently, the new model is coming out at that time.

I think that's what I'll have to do unless retentions wows me with an offer to stay on SERO and keep everything as is.

Ah in that case yes you are better off to get the new model anyway.

I just read about it in S4GRU tonight and they have those same dates too.

I already returned mine once and got a new one when getting the free plan a second time.

Feedback Score
    Ah in that case yes you are better off to get the new model anyway.

I just read about it in S4GRU tonight and they have those same dates too.

I already returned mine once and got a new one when getting the free plan a second time.
    Nice! And we have until 6/30 before byod expires, right?

Feedback Score
    Nice! And we have until 6/30 before byod expires, right?
    I believe they have committed to that but the commitment could be still clearer so I would never advise anyone to wait unnecessarily. You get a July 31, 2019 end date now so there is no benefit to waiting.

For that matter, I am hoping that they keep renewing the offer beyond that as well, month after month, but that is not committed at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast