Thread: iOS 12 to Protect Users From Unauthorized Physical Access

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post iOS 12 to Protect Users From Unauthorized Physical Access

Name:  iphone-eff.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  57.9 KB

One of the new features coming to iOS 12 is USB Restricted Mode, designed specifically to lock out attackers with physical access to a phone or tablet. It will be enabled by default, requiring the user's passcode when anything is connected to the device's charging and data port, starting one hour after it was last locked. For convenience sake the phone or tablet will still charge; any other accessory will require a passcode to work.

Not everyone is thrilled with this new feature. From The New York Times:

Such a change would hinder law enforcement officials, who have typically been opening locked iPhones by connecting another device running special software to the port, often days or even months after the smartphone was last unlocked. News of Apple’s planned software update has begun spreading through security blogs and law enforcement circles—and many in investigative agencies are infuriated.
    Police say they need access to phones to catch criminals; Apple argues that vulnerabilities can be exploited by good and bad actors alike.

Currently law enforcement has two paths to access an Apple device: they can ship it off to Israeli forensics firm Cellebrite, or purchase a $15-30,000 box from a U.S. startup called Grayshift and access the device in-house. One police force boasts that they've been able to crack 96 phones with a Grayshift box.

I myself am not entirely convinced that USB Restricted Mode is going to be a success. It might just prompt an attacker (police or otherwise) to change their target, either to a user's iCloud account or even data directly from their carrier. But even if not 100% foolproof, protecting a user's privacy is never a bad idea.

Source: New York Times via iPhone in Canada
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iphone X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I feel differently about accessing my phone. I would want them to access my ice contacts should I be in an accident and cannot speak. I have an iphone X and if I am not able to look at the phone no one can unlock it. I set up emergency to give access to my ice contacts

Feedback Score
    The article says it is enabled by default. It also says it is switchable in Settings, so you can disable it if you choose.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    And ICE contacts are always accessible without passcode...

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.