Thread: E5 Cruiise

Feedback Score

E5 Cruiise

I am porting back into Cricket. I already have all our phones, but trying to get the best ones for resale. Why would anyone buy this for $100? I bought my daughter a Verizon E4 last year for $40 and as far as I can tell all the specs are the same or better on the E4. E5 has a few more bands to it, but that price seems outrageous.

Side note. I need a referral link.
    Side note 2. Thoughts on best free/cheap phone? They all seem garbage compared to the Metro PCS free offerings. Only looking at this from a resale point of view.

Feedback Score
    I agree that the Cricket Moto e5 Cruise is overpriced but I want to point out that it does have WIFI calling and HD Voice / volte which may be beneficial features for some people.

I agree with your comments phones in side note 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I am porting back into Cricket. I already have all our phones, but trying to get the best ones for resale. Why would anyone buy this for $100? I bought my daughter a Verizon E4 last year for $40 and as far as I can tell all the specs are the same or better on the E4. E5 has a few more bands to it, but that price seems outrageous.

Side note. I need a referral link.
    Side note 2. Thoughts on best free/cheap phone? They all seem garbage compared to the Metro PCS free offerings. Only looking at this from a resale point of view.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    I agree that the Cricket Moto e5 Cruise is overpriced but I want to point out that it does have WIFI calling and HD Voice / volte which may be beneficial features for some people.

I agree with your comments phones in side note 2.
    VoLTE/HD voice is a whatever feature. I have it with MetroPCS and the calls sound like crap and are tinny. It is the phone my 15 year old uses, like they make actual phone calls anyway, right? I never use WiFi calling unless it is a must. I am paying them for the service they are damn sure going to get their network taxed for all my needs. I don't even use my home WiFi on my phones anymore (because when I get too far out from my router in my house/property the hand off isn't seamless and it wants to prefer WiFi). I don't live in tiny 50 story apartment so if it can't penetrate all of my house I find another carrier. The router on the other hand just can't cover everything even with wire mesh.

No thoughts on which phones to grab or referral? My buddy is being a hassle about signing up for My Cricket. I didn't realize he made $25 every 4 minutes at his job

EDIT
    All my other phones are Samsung 8 and 9 series, I can't recall if either of those features where working on them before I switched 2 months ago. I think it may have the S8, but not on my S8/9+ or Note 8.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi to me isn't important for phone calls. I guess it could be useful to make phone calls if traveling internationally, and you don't want to purchase an international roaming plan. Otherwise, I want the ability to make calls using the actual service. I guess it can increase reliability, if your internet stays up but the local cell tower has problems.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Ok hang on a minute- The Moto E4 was $120-150 when it launched, and $80-$100 with a carrier subsidy on MetroPCS, Boost, and yes even Verizon. Later on, in classic Walmart bulk-buying power fashion, there was what appears to have been an exclusive special offering the phone at a redonkulous $39, with the obvious expectation that it would make them and/or Verizon more money with service plans. Once the internet found out you can unlock it with a simple $2 code from ebay, it FLEW off the shelves at that price. Eventually Walmart/Moto/VZ/someone caught on, and quickly ramped the price back up to $80 (a week after I bought my second one, the local Walmart had it for 79.99), and was replaced with a new batch of manufactured phones which would NOT accept the unlock code anymore. Now it seems sales of that model have slowed (gee, I wonder why!), so they dropped the price down to ~$50, but it still is not unlockable anymore, and requires months of VZ service to be eligible for official unlocking.

In a nutshell, the fact that the E4 was $42 (40 + unlock code) was unprecedented, a fluke, and not only an unrealistic expectation of what you can get for that price, but not even possible anymore. That deal is long dead. You basically got a killer deal on a $120-150 phone for nearly 75% off.

Now that we can adjust our perspective correctly, consider that the Cruise is NOT the E5. It is Cricket's version of the E5 Play. If you're familiar with Moto's naming schemes, you'll know that "Play" is the low end version, which usually is a rehashing of the previous model or lower edition. For example, the Moto G4 Play was basically the same specs as a Moto G3, but with updated details and OS. The E5 Play is basically the same as the E4 with updated design details and OS.
    So if those specs look similar... its because they are! And considering that the E4 still sells at $50-80 despite being considered an EOL model, it makes sense that the E5 play be closer to $100. To be fair, you'll probably see it cheaper at Best Buy or Walmart eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    VoLTE/HD voice is a whatever feature. I have it with MetroPCS and the calls sound like crap and are tinny. It is the phone my 15 year old uses, like they make actual phone calls anyway, right? I never use WiFi calling unless it is a must. I am paying them for the service they are damn sure going to get their network taxed for all my needs. I don't even use my home WiFi on my phones anymore (because when I get too far out from my router in my house/property the hand off isn't seamless and it wants to prefer WiFi). I don't live in tiny 50 story apartment so if it can't penetrate all of my house I find another carrier. The router on the other hand just can't cover everything even with wire mesh.

No thoughts on which phones to grab or referral? My buddy is being a hassle about signing up for My Cricket. I didn't realize he made $25 every 4 minutes at his job

EDIT
    All my other phones are Samsung 8 and 9 series, I can't recall if either of those features where working on them before I switched 2 months ago. I think it may have the S8, but not on my S8/9+ or Note 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Wi-Fi to me isn't important for phone calls. I guess it could be useful to make phone calls if traveling internationally, and you don't want to purchase an international roaming plan. Otherwise, I want the ability to make calls using the actual service. I guess it can increase reliability, if your internet stays up but the local cell tower has problems.
    HD Calling I agree with. But WiFi calling is a big deal if you live/work/travel to places that have spotty coverage. I live in the boonies, and our house has coverage upstairs but not downstairs. We drop calls if I go downstairs, and that's where my home office is. :/
    Meanwhile, my wife works in a building that practically eats phone signals, but has Wifi for staff. Most major carriers have Wifi calling these days, so it is considered a non issue for most staff members... unless you're one of the unlucky cricket users without one of their very specific Wifi capable phones.
    So when the LG X Charge came out, I sure as heck paid the full $120 asking price for it so she could have a relatively normal calling experience at home/work. Its the most I've ever paid for a phone with such mid-range specs, but I needed to do something. The truth is, the LG has pretty bad voice quality- I'm not sure what is causing it, but my Moto G5 Plus holds a call where hers breaks up, even if I turn off WiFi on hers. I didn't know the Moto E5 Cruise had WiFi calling- that is a huge plus for me, as I'm hoping it will combine the voice quality I'm enjoying with my G5+ and the ability to make calls without cell phone coverage that I'm lacking. So ironic that I'm finding out from a thread that is dismissing the value of it!
    Meanwhile, I don't like that the battery is rated lower. The one thing she likes about her X Charge is the killer battery. I'm not paying $99 for a downgrade in that dept. I'll wait to see it go on sale in a third party store like Best Buy. I'm guessing we'll see it for <$75 soon.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    That is why I said for me. My home gets good ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile service. Probably Sprint by now, but 10 years ago it wasn't good. So I want good service for home.

My workplace does offer Wi-Fi, but you have to sign in using the company network credentials. And once you do, your data also goes through their network. I don't need some possible logs of my sites i visit to be stored on a company computer. And Wi-Fi would have been useful for me since Verizon wasn't reliable at my desk, though ATT and T-Mobile is.

Feedback Score
    My son cracked his screen on the awesome E4

Anyone have experience with buying the glass+digitizer unit together and replacing? I think it's like 20 bucks. I was hoping to get one of the units @ Target on clearance and swap his phone with that one, but I think it wouldn't unlock probably. I guess I could still buy one and drop the motherboard into it and throw away the old phone but seems expensive just for replacing glass.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Free with port in!

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Now THAT'S a deal! Amazing how much can change in less than a day!!!!

Feedback Score
    Man... If only it had the fingerprint scanner I'd be all over this! Might still do it...

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The larger, deluxe model, w/fingerprint, should arrive any day now. Hopefully it won't be much more than $100 w/port(as in intro promo).

Ps: Looks like they will arrive about a week later than expected. Expect now around June 22.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by gwite; 06-16-2018 at 02:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    My workplace does offer Wi-Fi, but you have to sign in using the company network credentials. And once you do, your data also goes through their network. I don't need some possible logs of my sites i visit to be stored on a company computer. And Wi-Fi would have been useful for me since Verizon wasn't reliable at my desk, though ATT and T-Mobile is.
    VPNs are pretty standard these days, free and paid.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computercrashed View Post
    VPNs are pretty standard these days, free and paid.
    At least at one time VPNs were blocked.