Thread: Questions related to porting out right as your plan expires

Feedback Score

Questions related to porting out right as your plan expires

My 2 kids and I have been with Airvoice and I am going to port us out to Puretalk. I posted this on the Airvoice thread, but havent had replies so I am going to try here. The new Puretalk sims are scheduled to arrive tonight,b ut the Airvoice plan expires tomorrow.

Any concerns that I would lose these numbers if there is a problem with porting, especially as it will most likely be after hours or on Saturday (actually Airvoice used to have customer service on Saturdays, not sure if that is stilll the case)?

I guess I could just keep us on Airvoice another month and change next month, but I am getting more data for the same price with the new plan and wanted to have that for a trip this billing cycle.

Any advice? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I think there is very little chance of losing your #s if you start the port as soon as your new SIMs arrive today, especially since both MVNOs are AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    "Don't terminate your existing service. Your old operator account must be active at the start of the port. Porting will automatically close your old account. If you cancel service before the port completes, your account will be closed prematurely and you will lose your number." https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...find-your.html Good luck.

Device(s)
    Motorola X Pure (3rd Gen), Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This may or may not be the time to start the port- unless you monitor it closely and if it is not completed you may in fact want to renew the plan. Some carriers on weekends do not work much on porting and have their "experts" around except for M-F business days. There could very well be issues if the port has not been approved, or if something like the pin code or account number is not correct from the Airvoice side and released and then the plan expires and they do not approve the request because technically at that point you are not a customer with them at all. Even though Boz1 claims since it is the same underlying carrier- each company when it comes to porting can make their own "rules". If you do not want to risk service and or loosing the number, I'd renew the plan on your existing carrier. Verify all account information and Pin number, etc. and then wait for the port request be made at least 3 or 4 days before the expiring of the plan in July. Safest way in my opinion.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score
    I'm with Boz. I don't think there's any chance you'll lose your numbers and the worst that can happen is that you'll have to purchase another month of AirVoice for both numbers.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies!

I will see what time the sims arrive today/tonight and make a decision.

Airvoice has a $5/5 day plan and maybe I will purchase that either just for me or for all 3 of us (really not a big deal for the kids to lose their numbers as they just need to text their friends with the new numbers, but they wont be happy about it)...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I'm also with Boz. You should not lose your numbers, but you might have no service after your plan expires until your port is complete which can take a day or more. If the porting department doesn't work weekends, that might be inconvenient. Worst is you pay for another month and start the port in 3 weeks or less.

Feedback Score
    One MVNO company I would not worry about is AirVoice. I used them for a few years. The CSR are the kindest, knowledgeable & easiest CSRs I've dealt with. If their plans were competitive I'd still be with AV. Excellent service time & again.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.50otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all of the replies. Although I believe it would have probably worked out I decided to save myself the stress and play it safe by renewing Airvoice for another month. Then in about 3 weeks I will port out and hopefully not have to worry about things so much.

Feedback Score
    That's a very good plan. Older I get the less stress I look for.