Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: whats the news on Verizon not allowing phones that dont support volte

Feedback Score

whats the news on Verizon not allowing phones that dont support volte

there was a recent thread that mentioned at the end of June, Verizon wouldn't allow users to activate phone that dont support volte.
    at some time in 2019, phone that dont support volte wont be able to funtion on verizon

that thread is gone and when i called verizon CS twice, they didnt know anything about this

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    The current dates that I know of are either July 1 or 31 of this year, all phones activated on Verizon must have VoLTE, and the CDMA network will shut down on December 31, 2019.

I have not seen any indication if Verizon will keep the CDMA back end up in order to facilitate roaming on USCC, GCI's ex ACS network, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    The current dates that I know of are either July 1 or 31 of this year, all phones activated on Verizon must have VoLTE, and the CDMA network will shut down on December 31, 2019.

I have not seen any indication if Verizon will keep the CDMA back end up in order to facilitate roaming on USCC, GCI's ex ACS network, etc.
    It's July 1st for new activations

Feedback Score
    has anyone called CS to confirm? i spoke with 2 people and they found nothing in their search

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by svec7186 View Post
    there was a recent thread that mentioned at the end of June, Verizon wouldn't allow users to activate phone that dont support volte.
    at some time in 2019, phone that dont support volte wont be able to funtion on verizon

that thread is gone and when i called verizon CS twice, they didnt know anything about this
    TL;DR, Bottom line, we don't know except for Expo which has been extended to 12/31/18.

a prepaidphonenews article said that the deadline for new activations of non-VoLTE phones has been extended to 12/31/18 for Expo and two other unnamed MVNOs.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...t=verizon+mvno

This Verizon all and only VoLTE for voice could be a real killer for Vz MVNOs, and not in a good way. There are a whole bunch of non-VoLTE phones on Vz MVNOs. I have one of them. I will probably switch my Tracfone service to AT&T when the time comes. AT&T works just fine or better around here too. A pox on Verizon and their stupid CDMA and VoLTE only network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    TL;DR, Bottom line, we don't know except for Expo which has been extended to 12/31/18.

a prepaidphonenews article said that the deadline for new activations of non-VoLTE phones has been extended to 12/31/18 for Expo and two other unnamed MVNOs.

This Verizon all and only VoLTE for voice could be a real killer for Vz MVNOs, and not in a good way. There are a whole bunch of non-VoLTE phones on Vz MVNOs. I have one of them. I will probably switch my Tracfone service to AT&T when the time comes. AT&T works just fine or better around here too. A pox on Verizon and their stupid CDMA and VoLTE only network.
    That's dumb. So people are going to activate a phone that will be a brick in a year. People using old phones need to upgrade. No point keeping CDMA active for a few laggers when that spectrum is needed for LTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    That's dumb. So people are going to activate a phone that will be a brick in a year. People using old phones need to upgrade. No point keeping CDMA active for a few laggers when that spectrum is needed for LTE.
    I agree. CDMA needs to die sooner rather than later. This is just Vz trying to not harm their wholesale MVNO gravy train for a while. The PPPN article mentions that Vz has done a very poor job of working with their MVNOs to plan and get ready for this.

I bet they leave a small slice of CDMA running for a long time for their IoT and MTM subscribers, but handset subscribers would be blocked from using it.

My Verizon phone will be 7 years old by then if it makes it that long. It won't be much of a loss. I just wanted to try Vz to see if they had better signal inside my house than the other three. 1x voice works ok. LTE inside is unusable so Vz with VoLTE-only will have no advantage for me over AT&T.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, why are there new phones out there without VoLTE? That's just nuts. Can some of them be upgraded via firmware, or do they just not support it at all?

I bet they leave a small slice of CDMA running for a long time for their IoT and MTM subscribers, but handset subscribers would be blocked from using it.

My Verizon phone will be 7 years old by then if it makes it that long. It won't be much of a loss. I just wanted to try Vz to see if they had better signal inside my house than the other three. 1x voice works ok. LTE inside is unusable so Vz with VoLTE-only will have no advantage for me over AT&T.
    There's too much equipment and it's too expensive to keep all that crap running. It was like with GSM on AT&T. Time to pull the plug. The big thing that I'm wondering is rural fringe coverage. That's going to take a hard hit when they pull the plug on CDMA, but I guess it really doesn't make sense to keep it deployed in rural markets, even though they have the spectrum, since it still costs a ton of money to maintain.

For home use, get a network extender, or better yet, use VoWiFi.

Feedback Score
    IDK that they are still selling new non-VoLTE phones the one mentioned "expo" seems to by BYOD only.
    No basic phone ever had LTE so it wouldn't be possible to fix with a software update.
    There are however a lot of phones with LTE but no VoLTE that probably could be updated but won't be because at this point they are several years old so the manufacturer has no incentive to do so.

I'm trying to figure out what to do there right now.

I need to replace a phone that requires call recording but since i'm upgrading I need to upgrade to a phone with VoLTE as else it will only work for about 1.5 years.
    It's used primarily in a fringe area with a AT&T hotspot on site (AT&T barely works too but it's more stable)

I could use VoWiFi but IIUC the call recorder won't work with that. I suppose I might be able to rig up a network extender to the AT&T hotspot and run it that way since it works with VoLTE.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    There are however a lot of phones with LTE but no VoLTE that probably could be updated but won't be because at this point they are several years old so the manufacturer has no incentive to do so.
    If Verizon wants them to get updated, they have a pretty good chance of getting updated.

I could use VoWiFi but IIUC the call recorder won't work with that. I suppose I might be able to rig up a network extender to the AT&T hotspot and run it that way since it works with VoLTE.
    I don't see why recording a call would be any different on VoLTE vs. VoWiFi, as they are the same family of technologies, VoWiFi just allows the traffic to use the WiFi radio instead of LTE, and tunnel the traffic over the internet.

Feedback Score
    .I bet they leave a small slice of CDMA running for a long time for their IoT and MTM subscribers, but handset subscribers would be blocked from using it.
    Where they have 850 they have a slice of 1.5 X 1.5 MHz that is separate from the rest of the spectrum so it's not going to be used for LTE anyway so I assume this will be used for mtm and IoT

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Where they have 850 they have a slice of 1.5 X 1.5 MHz that is separate from the rest of the spectrum so it's not going to be used for LTE anyway so I assume this will be used for mtm and IoT
    Probably not. Keeping the equipment and network running for CDMA is massively expensive. M2M and IoT customers have had years to migrate to current hardware, no need to keep CDMA up for them. If they do keep any of it up, it will likely be in small, targeted areas, and won't stay for very long. Verizon seems pretty serious about migrating off of CDMA.

Feedback Score
    If Verizon wants them to get updated, they have a pretty good chance of getting updated.
    Like the samsung galaxy note 3 it supports VoLTE and wifi calling just not on verizon. The problem is it's almost 5 years old and is not supported anymore even though it likely could be added with a software update.

I don't see why recording a call would be any different on VoLTE vs. VoWiFi, as they are the same family of technologies, VoWiFi just allows the traffic to use the WiFi radio instead of LTE, and tunnel the traffic over the internet.
    I don't either but apparently it is different as there are tons of complaints about it.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    Like the samsung galaxy note 3 it supports VoLTE and wifi calling just not on verizon. The problem is it's almost 5 years old and is not supported anymore even though it likely could be added with a software update.
    I don't think that's on prepaid, but for postpaid, if they really wanted it to get updated, they probably could twist Samsung's arm on that, but my guess is no considering how old it is. I'm thinking more of prepaid phones sold in the last year or two.

I don't either but apparently it is different as there are tons of complaints about it.
    This is some sort of software recorder? It's kind of a kludge to carry around, but a hardware recorder would record anything from the analog output....

Feedback Score
    ...The big thing that I'm wondering is rural fringe coverage. That's going to take a hard hit when they pull the plug on CDMA,...
    The rural fringe of suburbia is where I am at. Vz CDMA voice works inside the house some of the time with very little signal. AT&T and Sprint don't. TMo is completely unusable. If/when T-Mo puts 600 MHz on the closest cells that could be a completely different story.

For home use, get a network extender, or better yet, use VoWiFi.
    My home phone needs are well covered with an Obi and Hangouts on the cellphones as long as cable Internet and electric is working. Cell service is really just in case of emergencies if the cable or electric is down.

If just cable is out I can switch the Obi and Hangouts calls to my AT&T hotspot. That gets ok signal by being placed on a window.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast