Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast

Thread: TracFone CDMA/Verizon Phones Must be VoLTE Capable before End of 2019

Feedback Score
    A LTE phone isn't necessarily VoLTE capable from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    This list from Wikipedia goes beyond CDMA phones and will probably be kept fairly well updated.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    A LTE phone isn't necessarily VoLTE capable from what I read.
    That is true. My TF-branded Samsung J3 Sky is a 4G/LTE phone, but there's no setting for HD Voice or VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    What are the CDMA VoLTE capable TracFone branded phones known to date?

Feedback Score
    The Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro is VoLTE capable. At least it has the setting to turn it on. I can't confirm it actually works though.

Feedback Score
    This is the best I could find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Voice_support

I can't believe Moto X and Moto X2 are going to be useless, they were flagships and still perfectly usable.

Feedback Score
    That list must include GSM phones because all those Huawei phones listed aren't CDMA/Verizon capable.

Quote Originally Posted by slamsome View Post
    This is the best I could find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Voice_support

I can't believe Moto X and Moto X2 are going to be useless, they were flagships and still perfectly usable.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That is true. My TF-branded Samsung J3 Sky is a 4G/LTE phone, but there's no setting for HD Voice or VoLTE.
    I know the J3 Sky with Straight Talk supports VoLTE because I was playing with it.

Device(s)
    Tracfone iPhone 6S Tracfone iPhone SE, Samsung J3 Luna Pro, J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A Tracfone Samsung J3 Luna Pro that I have has a Volte setting (in Settings/Connections/Mobile Networks) that can be switched on. If I turn Volte on, and turn data on, then during calls I get the LTE signal and am able to use the internet during calls. But, data must be on for me to get the Volte functionality (LTE symbol/simultaneous calls+internet) and I have no "HD Voice" settings or indications.

So does this make it a truly VoLTE capable phone? Shouldn't I have some HD voice indication? I've read others say that Volte should require no data (Data being set to "on) to "work" (LTE signal). And while one call on "Volte" did seem to have better clarity, I can't really tell much difference between normal calls and Volte calls in terms of sound quality. It all sounds pretty good/the same.

A friends Luna pro does not have this VoLTE setting.

What's the deal with AT&T and 3G? I haven't read of any plans for this to go away.

Added: Doing a quick look, it seems AT&T (which already ended 2G) is no longer certifiying/accepting 3G only phones and T-mobile has stated they want to end 2G/3G around end of 2019 or 2020 but neither AT&T or T-Mobile has set any dates for ending 3G.

An older AT&T forum thread about 3G service indicating its likely not going anywhere for some time. Not sure how accurate.
    https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Co...e/td-p/4768917
    Last edited by lappers; 06-16-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know the J3 Sky with Straight Talk supports VoLTE because I was playing with it.
    Could you tell me where that setting is? I looked at all the options on my TF-branded J3 Sky but couldn't find anything about VoLTE, HD Voice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    So does this make it a truly VoLTE capable phone? Shouldn't I have some HD voice indication? I've read others say that Volte should require no data (Data being set to "on) to "work" (LTE signal). And while one call on "Volte" did seem to have better clarity, I can't really tell much difference between normal calls and Volte calls in terms of sound quality. It all sounds pretty good/the same.
    You are not going to get full HD Voice unless the other party has it active too. You would get the call+data feature of basic VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    You are not going to get full HD Voice unless the other party has it active too. You would get the call+data feature of basic VoLTE.
    As far as I recall, the people who are getting HD symbols near their contacts or during some of their calls, also have an advanced calling settings area that includes an HD voice switch that can be turned on. This setting doesn't exist on my phone. Wouldn't I need to activate this to get "HD Voice" (the codec applied) capability in addition to the indications near the contacts, during calls etc?

Also, in reading of others experience with VoLTE, they describe a VoLTE that does not require data to be on for it to work. My data must be on to get the LTE symbol during calls. So it seems there are some differences.

Feedback Score
    LTE symbol on during a call just shows that the phone is able to have a mobile data connection during the call, but it's totally unnecessary for mobile data to be on for the call to be VoLTE.

Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    As far as I recall, the people who are getting HD symbols near their contacts or during some of their calls, also have an advanced calling settings area that includes an HD voice switch that can be turned on. I have no way to turn it on because this setting doesn't exist on my phone. Wouldn't I need to activate this to get "HD Voice" (the codec) capability?

Also, in reading of others experience with VoLTE, they describe a VoLTE that does not require data to be on for it to work. My data must be on to get the LTE symbol during calls. So there are some differences.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    LTE symbol on during a call just shows that the phone is able to have a mobile data connection during the call, but it's totally unnecessary for mobile data to be on for the call to be VoLTE.
    Oh ok. I thought someone had said the LTE indicated the call was taking place over LTE and that without it it was just a regular call. Or I read that somewhere. Maybe I misunderstood.

Then I see no difference at all between "voLTE calls" and regular calls, and I call people who have HD voice/Volte (though not 100% sure if Verizon). And there is no indication of their or my status on phone in any case.
    Last edited by lappers; 06-16-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I expect TF will add one or two around the end if new activations.
    There is recent precedent for TracFone VoLTE basic phones. The ZTE Z232TL (T-Mobile) was one. The Z233VL (Verizon) version did not have this feature. Likely just has to be enabled in the firmware.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here, under "How do I turn on or turn off HD Voice on my Android phone?", it states that on older phones to enable HD voice you turn VoLTE calls "on". There is no advanced calling section for HD voice for them. Though it also states," you can access this setting after you have added HD voice feature to your account". Maybe my phone has this kind of deal since this is exactly the way it is on my phone in terms of location and setting and at least partial behavior so far?

To enable or disable HD Voice on your Android phone:

Go to Settings.
    Tap Advanced Calling under WIRELESS NETWORKS.
    Tap Advanced Calling again to turn it On or Off.

If you have an older device like Samsung Galaxy S® 5 or Motorola Droid Ultra / Maxx / Mini, follow these steps to turn HD Voice on or off:

Go to Settings.
    Tap More Networks or Tethering & Networks.
    Tap Mobile Networks.
    Tap the VoLTE Call setting to turn it to On or Off.

Notes:

You can access this setting after you've added the HD Voice feature to your account.

If VoLTE Call is set to Off, then HD Voice is disabled.

I'm going to test this a little more. Maybe I haven't given it a fair trial.
    I'm also going to ask about this on the tracfone forum.
    Last edited by lappers; 06-16-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast