Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast

Thread: TracFone CDMA/Verizon Phones Must be VoLTE Capable before End of 2019

Feedback Score
    Agree, the extra $20 gets you a lot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slamsome View Post
    Best Buy has the Rebel 3 CDMA on sale for $39.99

If you look in the specs you'll see:

Data Transmission Type EV-DO, VoLTE

Would be interesting to experiment with. SIM swap vs activate included SIM.

I might pick one up just to try a swap.
    If you do get one please post whether you get VoLTE. Swapping a sim from a Tracfone-branded phone just may end up being one of the easier ways to get VoLTE on BYOP. We'll see!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfu2215 View Post
    If you do get one please post whether you get VoLTE. Swapping a sim from a Tracfone-branded phone just may end up being one of the easier ways to get VoLTE on BYOP. We'll see!
    At most I would swap my BYOP SIM into this phone to see if VoLTE works... I don't have a need for a second phone (or one that works w/VoLTE just yet) so I wouldn't activate with the included SIM.

Feedback Score
    At most I would swap my BYOP SIM into this phone to see if VoLTE works... I don't have a need for a second phone (or one that works w/VoLTE just yet) so I wouldn't activate with the included SIM.
    If you opted to go with the $20 more option that included airtime, you could not redeem the airtime without activating the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    If you opted to go with the $20 more option that included airtime, you could not redeem the airtime without activating the phone.
    Yea, that shoots that idea.

Feedback Score
    Did someone confirm the TracFone LG Rebel 3 actually does VoLTE when activated on TracFone? I don't see mention of VoLTE on the LG site:
    http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-L158VL-rebel-3

Best Buy has the Rebel 3 CDMA on sale for $39.99

If you look in the specs you'll see:

Data Transmission Type EV-DO, VoLTE

Would be interesting to experiment with. SIM swap vs activate included SIM.

I might pick one up just to try a swap.
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    Tracfone iPhone 6S Tracfone iPhone SE, Samsung J3 Luna Pro, J3 Orbit
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was playing around with an app called Signal Check on my Luna Pro to see how it reads my phone when I try different settings. I took some screenshots and thought I would post them in case they are of interest to anyone. I still have to confirm for sure whether or not this Luna pro works with HD voice. The one or two people I know who have it I don't want to call (lol) but hopefully I'll speak with someone who has it soon.

So when I have Wi-Fi on (data off) and VoLTE calls off, the way I normally use my smartphone, I get this:

Name:  Screenshot_20180621-044005.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  44.2 KB

When I have Wi-Fi on (data off) and switch Volte calls on, I get this:

Name:  Screenshot_20180621-043533.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  40.1 KB

When I have Data on (Wi-Fi off) and Volte calls off, I get this

Name:  latest.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  34.7 KB

When I have data on (Wi-Fi off), and switch VoLTE calls on, I get this:
    (also get this with data and wifi both off of course - basically just VoLTe calls on but with data off LTE disappears)

Name:  lte.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  30.9 KB

I blacked out some minor info in the shots.
    Last edited by lappers; 06-22-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Feedback Score
    lappers,
    Thanks for the screenshots.

"Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) is a wireless telecommunications spectrum band used for mobile voice and data services, video, and messaging."

"The AWS band uses microwave frequencies in several segments: from 1695 to 2200 MHz. The service is intended to be used by mobile devices such as wireless phones for mobile voice, data, and messaging services."

Ignoring WiFi, because we know that one.

LTE AWS connection will service VoLTE, texting, and mobile data if you enabled VoLTE.

CDMA 1xRTT connection will service voice and texting if you have VoLTE disabled.

In all cases with VoLTE disabled, the phone established a non-AWS LTE connection, even if mobile data was off. This LTE connection would service mobile data if it's enabled.

I assume in airplane mode with WiFi on or off nothing for LTE or 1xRTT will be present in Signal Check screen.

I hope that's correct and makes sense

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    lappers,
    Thanks for the screenshots.

I assume in airplane mode with WiFi on or off nothing for LTE or 1xRTT will be present in Signal Check screen.

I hope that's correct and makes sense
    Makes sense. Yes with Airplane mode on there is nothing for LTE or 1xRTT and it just states CDMA disabled, telephone calls unavailable and Mobile radio disabled...

Airplane mode (Wi-Fi off) - actually, airplane mode disables Wi-Fi radio if it were on so Airplane mode just kills everything

Name:  newest.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  23.3 KB
    Last edited by lappers; 06-22-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Adding a tiny bit of info, the AWS band is commonly referred to as Band 4 (IV), and is a split/paired band using both 1700 & 2100 MHz ranges (one area used for transmit and the other receive). Knowing the band number can help when referencing other tech talk surrounding what Verizon Wireless service your device is capable of, or what the tower in a given area (at a particular cell site) is equipped with.

Feedback Score
    Another thing to note from lappers' screenshots is that LTE icon only on in the status bar when mobile data was one AND WiFi was off - so the icon is showing the type of data connection channel in use (LTE in this case, and only if WiFi wasn't on). The status LTE icon showing wasn't related to the VoLTE setting being on or off.

Now it would be interesting to know what all those screenshots/cases look like for lappers' phone when a call is in progress

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Without a VoLTE enabled device, do you also lose the ability to text or just talk? and the test part of MMS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Adding a tiny bit of info, the AWS band is commonly referred to as Band 4 (IV), and is a split/paired band using both 1700 & 2100 MHz ranges (one area used for transmit and the other receive). Knowing the band number can help when referencing other tech talk surrounding what Verizon Wireless service your device is capable of, or what the tower in a given area (at a particular cell site) is equipped with.
    SignalCheck Pro shows more information. I see LTE AWS (B4) on most Verizon towers here, but sometimes LTE 700 (B13).

Name:  Screenshot_20180621-114838.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  48.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    I still have to confirm for sure whether or not this Luna pro works with HD voice.
    Looks like you have VoLTE but not necessarily HD Voice. From what I understand, the HD Voice feature is an audio codec in the phone that can modify the LTE voice stream for better quality.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Another thing to note from lappers' screenshots is that LTE icon only on in the status bar when mobile data was one AND WiFi was off - so the icon is showing the type of data connection channel in use (LTE in this case, and only if WiFi wasn't on). The status LTE icon showing wasn't related to the VoLTE setting being on or off.
    I believe I described this before but on my phone the LTE icon appears in status bar only when I have mobile data on. The LTE icon will also remain in status bar during calls when I have volte on but disappears when volte is off (during calls). I believe the LTE symbols appearance is just reflecting whether mobile data is on (which volte makes possible during calls - to use internet for example during call) or off and nothing more. I've read that on some other peoples phone that turning VoLTE on (with data off) will cause an LTE symbol to appear indicating Volte is on.

In terms of the what's going on behind the scenes during these events, whether I have data on or not, or if LTE shows or not, when I have the VoLTE switch on it shows only LTE AWS.
    Last edited by lappers; 06-21-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast