Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Citi virtual numbers on Freedompop?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,091
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    Good to know. And you had success with a $1 limit? Were these for new account setups or updating payment cards on existing accounts?
    In all honesty I can't now recall the limit I set. $2 sticks in my mind because of what I was doing. The most recent activity was converting some accounts to add (then discontinue) "safety mode" so as to be able to turn off auto topup. Those were transactions of less than a dollar. And those were to existing accounts.

    I have also added new, small limit VCCs to accounts that have VCCs that are about to expire.

    I have definitely used a VCC to create a new account -- I did that last earlier this year.

    Note that if you sign up for a plan that contains "trial offers," even if free for the first month, you need a limit that exceeds the maximum of all the included trial offers that you then plan to decline. For example: let's say (making these examples up) you come in under terms that give you a free month of "MegaData" (small print: $19.99 a month thereafter), and "SpiffyDirectory" )$4.99 a month thereafter). They will check for a card that will allow at least $24.98 in charges when you sign up.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Data point of one, but the BankAmericard "ShopSafe" virtual card is what I've always used for FP transactions. My most recent were on 05/24/2018 and 05/08/2018 and they were not blocked -- they went through just fine. I also had several FP transactions using BA virtual cards in April. YMMV.
    @brg. The relevant data point is not when transactions were executed on your BankAmericard "ShopSafe" card, but when you last updated your account with such a card. I'm the OP. Citi virtual cards work fine for transactions too, if already in place. In a follow-up post you say, "I have also added new, small limit VCCs to accounts that have VCCs that are about to expire." - that's an important data-point. Do you remember the most recent time you did that?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,091
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    @brg. The relevant data point is not when transactions were executed on your BankAmericard "ShopSafe" card, but when you last updated your account with such a card. I'm the OP. Citi virtual cards work fine for transactions too, if already in place. In a follow-up post you say, "I have also added new, small limit VCCs to accounts that have VCCs that are about to expire." - that's an important data-point. Do you remember the most recent time you did that?
    I last added new, small-limit BankAmericard ShopSafe VCCs to several (2 or 3) FP accounts within the past several (2-3) months (I don't recall exact dates, but definitely April and/or May), replacing VCCs that were about to expire.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have always used BofA Shop Safe virtual CCs with FP. I believe they were as low as $5.00 and as much as $20.00. I never had any problem with them activating, except for the approval amount (which I just needed to increase).

    Today I am trying to renew some expired virtual numbers. It keeps rejecting it. I kept increasing the limit, no go. I even had one that I set for a $500.00 limit and it ***still *** rejected it !!

    I really believe they are checking to see if it's a virtual CC and blocking it. I didn't know there was a way to tell, but that should be a violation of the merchant agreement if they refuse to accept a valid account that just wants to be safe.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,091
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    I have always used BofA Shop Safe virtual CCs with FP. I believe they were as low as $5.00 and as much as $20.00. I never had any problem with them activating, except for the approval amount (which I just needed to increase).

    Today I am trying to renew some expired virtual numbers. It keeps rejecting it. I kept increasing the limit, no go. I even had one that I set for a $500.00 limit and it ***still *** rejected it !!

    I really believe they are checking to see if it's a virtual CC and blocking it. I didn't know there was a way to tell, but that should be a violation of the merchant agreement if they refuse to accept a valid account that just wants to be safe.
    In the past I also was able to use BofA virtual cards with FP with no problem. Then, perhaps a month ago, BofA virtual cards would no longer work with FP.

    My solution was to link a bunch of BofA virtual cards with $20.10/two-month limits to PayPal. I then set up individual FP accounts to be paid via PayPal using one specific BofA virtual card.

    Cumbersome, but a one-time operation, and it worked fine. I just updated a slew of FP accounts via this mechanism. FP needs to be able to post a $20 temporary authorization; hence the $20 part of the limit. The extra 10 cents is for any extraneous penny charge.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    121
    Device(s)
    LG Google Nexus 5x
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Virtual Credit Card

    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post

    I really believe they are checking to see if it's a virtual CC and blocking it. I didn't know there was a way to tell, but that should be a violation of the merchant agreement if they refuse to accept a valid account that just wants to be safe.
    A virtual credit card is set up to be used online and not in the physical world. Freedompop must be processing as such. Just like you wouldn't be able to go to a storefront and use that number.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    A virtual credit card is set up to be used online and not in the physical world. Freedompop must be processing as such. Just like you wouldn't be able to go to a storefront and use that number.
    I tried a $1 Citi virtual CC a few days ago to replace one that was expiring. It failed. I will try a $20.99 one.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I tried a $1 Citi virtual CC a few days ago to replace one that was expiring. It failed. I will try a $20.99 one.
    As you may notice above, it failed for me even with a 500$$ limit. It seems to be the virtual part that they don't like, not the 20-ish dollar amount of the limit.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    In the past I also was able to use BofA virtual cards with FP with no problem. Then, perhaps a month ago, BofA virtual cards would no longer work with FP.

    My solution was to link a bunch of BofA virtual cards with $20.10/two-month limits to PayPal. I then set up individual FP accounts to be paid via PayPal using one specific BofA virtual card.

    Cumbersome, but a one-time operation, and it worked fine. I just updated a slew of FP accounts via this mechanism. FP needs to be able to post a $20 temporary authorization; hence the $20 part of the limit. The extra 10 cents is for any extraneous penny charge.
    That sounds like a decent approach, but do you have any remarks about what someone wrote earlier in this thread (could be somewhere else as I have been looking all over) about how paypal uses a new merchant code each time, so any future charges would be blocked? Or is that not an issue in your experience?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    As you may notice above, it failed for me even with a 500$$ limit. It seems to be the virtual part that they don't like, not the 20-ish dollar amount of the limit.
    Thanks for the note. It's hard to keep track of all that has been tried. I really don't want to bother with the Paypal method, and they certainly are not getting my card number with a multi-thousand dollar limit.

    Anyone know if an Amex Bluebird card will pass? I can put just a few dollars on a sub-card. It's prepaid, but in stores it runs as credit, not debit.

    For that matter, do debit cards work?

    [Edit] I put $20 on a Bluebird sub account card and tried it. It did not appear to work. When I look at the billing page it still shows the last four numbers of the old Citi virtual card. I did not get any message about the new Citi virtual card or Bluebird card failing.

    How do you know, what do you see if a card fails? How can you tell if it is accepted?

    I am having to spend way too much time on this for a piddling 250 MB of data that I don't even generally use. I guess that is their point. To get rid of freeloaders.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 09-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    271
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    In the past I also was able to use BofA virtual cards with FP with no problem. Then, perhaps a month ago, BofA virtual cards would no longer work with FP.

    My solution was to link a bunch of BofA virtual cards with $20.10/two-month limits to PayPal. I then set up individual FP accounts to be paid via PayPal using one specific BofA virtual card.

    Cumbersome, but a one-time operation, and it worked fine. I just updated a slew of FP accounts via this mechanism. FP needs to be able to post a $20 temporary authorization; hence the $20 part of the limit. The extra 10 cents is for any extraneous penny charge.
    I tried using virtual cards with Paypal. It will work as long as the card remains valid - but every billing period FP seems to check the validity of the card through Paypal, so once those virtual cards expire your FP account will get an "update payment method" error.

    You could just use a virtual card with a 1 year expiration. Personally, I switched to using my regular card number with Paypal payment and just focus on keeping data use under the limit + having a hard data limit set in Android.

    If some surprise charge does get through, I can contest it through Paypal and, as a backup, can do a charge reversal through my credit card.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,091
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    ... do you have any remarks about what someone wrote earlier in this thread (could be somewhere else as I have been looking all over) about how paypal uses a new merchant code each time, so any future charges would be blocked? Or is that not an issue in your experience?
    I'm not sure I even understand the question or the underlying issue, but I am not having any problems with the mechanism I have described.

    In addition I have also done this without problem: connected Card 1 to PayPal; used PP and that specific card to pay an FP account; later deleted Card 1 from PP and added Card 2; reconfigured that FP account to charge to PP using Card 2.

    Right now I have 7 virtual BofA cards registered to PP and have 7 FP accounts set up to be paid via PP, each using one of those 7 BofA virtual cards. PP initially reflected all of those cards as having $20 authorization amounts, but the authorizations eventually fall off after a number of weeks.

    The only glitch was that PP balked at adding all the cards simultaneously. It would accept up to 3 (or so; I forget) and then error out. So I came back the next day and added the remainder.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,091
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    I tried using virtual cards with Paypal. It will work as long as the card remains valid - but every billing period FP seems to check the validity of the card through Paypal, so once those virtual cards expire your FP account will get an "update payment method" error.
    Thanks; that doesn't surprise me. With the BofA cards I can update/extend their expiration dates. Might do that beyond the default 2 month validity that I'd initially set up.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    I'm not sure I even understand the question or the underlying issue, but I am not having any problems with the mechanism I have described.
    I found the comment I was referring to. It is on the first page of this thread. It says that paypal generates a new merchant string with each purchase, so if a virtual CC is charged twice, even at the same merchant, it would block it since a virtual CC is locked to the first merchant it is used with.

    I don't know if this is true or if it would mess up FP functionality if it is true, but I was just throwing it out there for you or anyone else to add some insight.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Paypal/virtual credit card is not a good combination. At least with citi, once a virtual number is authorized or charged with a particular merchant id, it is married to that merchant and cannot be used elsewhere. This is part of the virtual # security. With paypal, the merchant string changes with each merchant. Try using the same virtual number on an item sold by amazon and one through the market place. Only the first transaction will go through.
    This is interesting but confusing. If you pull a new virtual CC no., and add it to paypal, and only use it for FP and nothing else, would this work on FP (both for the initial ping and any future charges) as long as the virtual no. doesn't expire?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Freedompop Multiple Numbers on One Account
    By shawnlg in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
  4. VS: 2 phone numbers on 1 SIM
    By Martin in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-27-2002, 04:32 AM
  5. saving number on T39
    By crislau in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2001, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks