Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Citi virtual numbers on Freedompop?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Thanks for the note. It's hard to keep track of all that has been tried. I really don't want to bother with the Paypal method, and they certainly are not getting my card number with a multi-thousand dollar limit.

    Anyone know if an Amex Bluebird card will pass? I can put just a few dollars on a sub-card. It's prepaid, but in stores it runs as credit, not debit.

    For that matter, do debit cards work?

    [Edit] I put $20 on a Bluebird sub account card and tried it. It did not appear to work. When I look at the billing page it still shows the last four numbers of the old Citi virtual card. I did not get any message about the new Citi virtual card or Bluebird card failing.

    How do you know, what do you see if a card fails? How can you tell if it is accepted?

    I am having to spend way too much time on this for a piddling 250 MB of data that I don't even generally use. I guess that is their point. To get rid of freeloaders.
    I have Bluebird main account in FreedomPop. But these were added quite a while back. Things might have changed now. But Freedompop seems to be deducting 1 cent in every billing cycle now.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    I have Bluebird main account in FreedomPop. But these were added quite a while back. Things might have changed now. But Freedompop seems to be deducting 1 cent in every billing cycle now.
    The one cent charges are supposed to only be if you don't use five outgoing calls with their app or five MB of data in a billing cycle month. I have found that with mine they do not report some of my data use so they believe that I am below 5 MB. A couple of my lines never report any data use at all so I have had to resort to making 5 calls to an info line. That is tedious.

    I don't care about the penny, but they have recently started suspending my service for their incorrect accounting of my data use. AT&T may not be reporting the data use correctly to FP, but I find that hard to believe. More likely their kludged together system is missing it.

    Putting a Bluebird card on an account yesterday did not change the card they show in billing.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,724
    Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know I've mentioned it before, but all of this just seems like a LOT of work!

    I have real CC accounts on my 12 FP GSM SIMs spread across 9 FP accounts, all on the 100% free plan, and I have NEVER had any charges after the initial $0.01-$0.99 start-up cost, except I think I've had 3-ish $0.01 charges, and it's been close to a year since I've even had one of those.

    Based on reports by people that actually have had unwanted charges from FP, even though those charges were almost 100% the user's fault, if a refund was properly requested, FP refunded the charges.

    I'm not saying anybody is wrong to try to use prepaid CCs or otherwise limit exposure, but it just seems like a lot of work. It is probably more work than a CC dispute would be if an incorrect charge did happen, that for some reason FP wouldn't credit back. But that's just my opinion.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

    Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,747
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    This is interesting but confusing. If you pull a new virtual CC no., and add it to paypal, and only use it for FP and nothing else, would this work on FP (both for the initial ping and any future charges) as long as the virtual no. doesn't expire?
    It should work, yes.

    Something else to keep in mind with paypal. Change credit card numbers too many times or too often and you may be blocked from changing either temporarily or permanently. In my case it was the latter and took a call to customer service to resolve. I was using a different CC for each paypal purchase. After they reinstated, I added the real cc to the account. So far so good.

    Still, for fp, with paypal purchases they get more of your info (assuming it's different email addr than the one on the fp account).

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I tried a $1 Citi virtual CC a few days ago to replace one that was expiring. It failed. I will try a $20.99 one.
    I'm the OP. The first post was made to let readers know that Citi cards no longer work.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I know I've mentioned it before, but all of this just seems like a LOT of work!

    I have real CC accounts on my 12 FP GSM SIMs spread across 9 FP accounts, all on the 100% free plan, and I have NEVER had any charges after the initial $0.01-$0.99 start-up cost, except I think I've had 3-ish $0.01 charges, and it's been close to a year since I've even had one of those.

    Based on reports by people that actually have had unwanted charges from FP, even though those charges were almost 100% the user's fault, if a refund was properly requested, FP refunded the charges.

    I'm not saying anybody is wrong to try to use prepaid CCs or otherwise limit exposure, but it just seems like a lot of work. It is probably more work than a CC dispute would be if an incorrect charge did happen, that for some reason FP wouldn't credit back. But that's just my opinion.
    I couldn't agree more.

    I'm the OP. I've used FP as the primary phone for the two of us for years. At present, I've moved the spouse to the 1GB-a-month annual SIM - it's well worth the <$4 a month to take care of the cell needs of someone not very tech savvy. I'm still on free accounts. All except one of my accounts are still on Citi cards - that one is on a real CC. I've never had a spurious charge.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,602
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    I'm the OP. The first post was made to let readers know that Citi cards no longer work.
    Yep, I tried a Citi virtual and it did not work. I also tried an Amex prepaid Bluebird sub account card. That did not work either.

    Today I tried a bank debit card. It did work. The message you get when the billing update succeeds is:

    "Billing Information Updated

    Please note that a temporary $20.00 authorization has been applied to validate that funds are available on this payment method. This "validation authorization" is temporary, and WILL NOT result in an actual charge to your account."

    If you try something that is not accepted there is no message.

    My bank debit card is tied to a checking account with a very low balance. I only have the account to pay for junk like this and don't keep much there.

    It is not spurious charges by FP that I am concerned about. I have had none either. It is the very real risk of customers credit card info being stolen. I have had this happen several times at other companies like Home Depot and Target. It is not in any way fun to clean up the mess when that happens.

    Virtual cards were ideal. They were only worth a few dollars so my exposure was trivial. The risk of exposure is that there are only two kinds of companies. Those that have had their customers credit card number stolen, and those where it has not happened YET.

    Most professional online vendors take virtual cards. This is a very poor business practice by Freedompop. They are not a professional business organization. Thanks for the free data all the same.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Most professional online vendors take virtual cards. This is a very poor business practice by Freedompop. They are not a professional business organization. Thanks for the free data all the same.
    I agree. And as I stated above, IMO it should be disallowed for a merchant to refuse a virtual card if they accept other cards of the same type. It is only for security purposes, which the banks claim they are serious about. In every other respect, the card is just as valid as the primary card. The "real person" problem is not an issue, so as long as the authorized amount is available on the virtual card, and the expiration is well into the future, there is no conceivable reason to deny the virtual card if they would permit the main card on the same account.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    271
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    It is not spurious charges by FP that I am concerned about. I have had none either. It is the very real risk of customers credit card info being stolen. I have had this happen several times at other companies like Home Depot and Target. It is not in any way fun to clean up the mess when that happens.
    Given this, I don't know why you wouldn't use Paypal as a payment method.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    283
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    I agree. And as I stated above, IMO it should be disallowed for a merchant to refuse a virtual card if they accept other cards of the same type. It is only for security purposes, which the banks claim they are serious about. In every other respect, the card is just as valid as the primary card. The "real person" problem is not an issue, so as long as the authorized amount is available on the virtual card, and the expiration is well into the future, there is no conceivable reason to deny the virtual card if they would permit the main card on the same account.
    I disagree. The cards are hardly the same - you can have a trivial limit on a virtual card and can kill it at time. I believe the merchant should have the freedom of choice. Hust as you and I have the freedom of choice to take our business any place. I suspect FP went down this route when it became an issue for them.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    189
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yep, I tried a Citi virtual and it did not work. I also tried an Amex prepaid Bluebird sub account card. That did not work either.

    Today I tried a bank debit card. It did work. The message you get when the billing update succeeds is:

    "Billing Information Updated

    Please note that a temporary $20.00 authorization has been applied to validate that funds are available on this payment method. This "validation authorization" is temporary, and WILL NOT result in an actual charge to your account."

    If you try something that is not accepted there is no message.
    Been having the same issues. Account was suspended (had two phones on the same account but one SIM was lost so I canceled the one).

    These were free accounts with penny SIMs over a year ago. A Citi Virtual number was used at the time with $1.00 limit. Now, I've been trying to add a new one (also using a limit) but never worked. But my limit is $2 so maybe why it is not going through if they want a $20 auth charge

    Afraid they'll try to actually charge me something... I've read that you free accounts now require a $5-$15 balance to cover overages. Is this true?
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Freedompop Multiple Numbers on One Account
    By shawnlg in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-07-2016, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
  4. VS: 2 phone numbers on 1 SIM
    By Martin in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-27-2002, 04:32 AM
  5. saving number on T39
    By crislau in forum SonyEricsson
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2001, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks