Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Prepaid with Data for EU travel (1-2 weeks)

Feedback Score

Best Prepaid with Data for EU travel (1-2 weeks)

What's the recommendation for prepaid with data (or it can be a data-only plan) that works in the EU? For the next few months, I'll be in the EU for 1-2 weeks at a time.

I only know of Google Fi, but that's expensive at $30/mth with 1GB, unless I can get 1GB international data without the talk and text?

Feedback Score
    I would recommend getting a Three SIM card and using it on they paygo, which is 1 pence/MB and any remaining balance never expires. You can add as little as 10 pounds. Search this forum for more details. I got one, activated it, and had it ready to fund, but was able to use the data included on my free FP Global SIM cards and a T-Mo data SIM card when I was in Europe. The FP Global SIM cards are no longer available from FP, and the place I got my $15/mo T-Mo SIM card is not taking new customers for that plan.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    What country are you going to first?

The Three UK SIM Boz1 suggested is a very good all-around option for Europe. It is tricky to top-up though, and there may be better options depending on where you're going.

Feedback Score
    It may be better to just get a local Sim
    At the nearest convenience store when you land at the airport.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    What country are you going to first?

The Three UK SIM Boz1 suggested is a very good all-around option for Europe. It is tricky to top-up though, and there may be better options depending on where you're going.
    I won't argue that there might be better options, because I really don't know. However, the Three setup/funding is not hard. If somebody can find the other thread(s), I gave a link to the Android Kwikpay apk that can be side loaded. It can be all set up and ready to go in a couple of minutes after getting a Three SIM card. I think I also gave the link where I ordered the SIM card.

EDIT:
    I found my info.

The Three SIM card was ~$1.80 delivered from https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-Three-UK...G/222178839760

The Kwikpay apk is at https://apkpure.com/kwikpay-%E2%80%9...charge.kwikpay

Carrier(s)
    Boom, FreedomPop, Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Just my two cents:

How about Gigsky? I have used their data SIM on my Axon 7 in Japan and Canada and it worked like a charm. Not tried in EU, but according to its official page EU data package starts from $15 for 500M or $20 for 1G, valid for 15 days.

I bound my Gigsky account with Paypal before I left, and when arrived in Japan I just used the Gigsky app on its mobile data to purchase an Asia-pacific data plan and it got activated right away.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raidenii View Post
    Just my two cents:

How about Gigsky? I have used their data SIM on my Axon 7 in Japan and Canada and it worked like a charm. Not tried in EU, but according to its official page EU data package starts from $15 for 500M or $20 for 1G, valid for 15 days.

I bound my Gigsky account with Paypal before I left, and when arrived in Japan I just used the Gigsky app on its mobile data to purchase an Asia-pacific data plan and it got activated right away.
    Global SIM data packages simply can't compete with what you can get from a local SIM in Europe, where data is often incredibly cheap. For example, in Spain you can get 20GB for 17€ (~$20). In France you can get 100GB for 20€ (~$23). Both prepaid. And with new EU roaming laws, many prepaid SIMs follow EU "roam at home" pricing, so you can use some or all of your domestic data in any other country in the EU.

Feedback Score
    Making multiple trips, but Sweden and UK will be where I'm spending most of the time. Are there good local prepaid options that I can get at the airport?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You didn't answer which country you're going to first... but since you'll be spending a lot of time in the UK, the Three UK SIM remains a good option. If you'll be in northern rural areas of Sweden, or going to Sweden first, you may want to check out buying a Telia-branded SIM there (best coverage apparently). This page has a good rundown of options.

No mention on that page of getting SIMs at the airport. If you really need something right as you land, I'd follow Boz1's advice: order a Three UK SIM online in advance and load it with credit. It will work in Sweden and everywhere else in Europe, so you can use that as your default. If you need you can buy another SIM in Sweden or wherever for better coverage, better data rates, etc.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I'm planning on waiting until I get to Scotland since the Three SIMs I've seen available here in the US don't support personal hotspot.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I'm planning on waiting until I get to Scotland since the Three SIMs I've seen available here in the US don't support personal hotspot.
    If you need to tether, look into the Three Data Reward SIM, which allows hotspot. It's marketed as a mobile broadband SIM but it includes a phone number, and if you add credit you can use it for calls/SMS at cheap rates (you can receive both without credit). Additionally, if you register it at http://three.co.uk/freedata (Edit: a UK forum says to use http://devicereg-three.hostedservice.net if the other link isn't working) you'll get 200MB free each month, which you can use even with no credit. You may have to be in the UK or Europe (and connected via the SIM - not Wi-Fi) for that link to work though.

The data add-ons for the data reward SIM are:
    2GB data £15
    5GB data £20
    10GB data £25

Not as good a deal as the standard All-in-One prepaid bundles which gets your more data for the price, e.g. £20 All-in-One Add-on gets you 12GB data, 3000 min, 3000 SMS. But if you need to tether...

Feedback Score
    Remember that Three UK don’t currently offer 4G data whilst roaming to my knowledge.

Tella SE do offer 4G data. Personally unless you can find a Telia SE Corporate Store at an airport I would avoid the airport as other stores can be sky high prices. You will pay at least 100SEK for an SIM card without credit

However if you do have a Three UK sim it will roam on Three SE 3G whilst in Sweden which is fairly good.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aclondon View Post
    Remember that Three UK don’t currently offer 4G data whilst roaming to my knowledge.

Tella SE do offer 4G data. Personally unless you can find a Telia SE Corporate Store at an airport I would avoid the airport as other stores can be sky high prices. You will pay at least 100SEK for an SIM card without credit

However if you do have a Three UK sim it will roam on Three SE 3G whilst in Sweden which is fairly good.
    (typo in your post: Tella = Telia)

Telia or another Swedish SIM may be good if they need LTE in Sweden, but, at least with Telia, it's worth noting that a foreigner wouldn't be able to roam outside of Sweden with a Telia SIM. According to this, roaming requires additional registration using a Swedish personal ID or proof of residence. So at the very least, another SIM would be needed for the UK and elsewhere in Europe.

Feedback Score
    Correct. Now that I’ve looked it up. But seems stupid as an EU resident people have to be treated the same.

I’ve had a Telenor SE prepaid SIM for several years and the roaming works fine.

What I’ve also wondered with the EU roaming is the fact that some countries within the EU allow anonymous SIMs. But others have a mandatory registration with an ID before it’s switched on.

Quote Originally Posted by djphilosophy View Post
    (typo in your post: Tella = Telia)

Telia or another Swedish SIM may be good if they need LTE in Sweden, but, at least with Telia, it's worth noting that a foreigner wouldn't be able to roam outside of Sweden with a Telia SIM. According to this, roaming requires additional registration using a Swedish personal ID or proof of residence. So at the very least, another SIM would be needed for the UK and elsewhere in Europe.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Three UK prepaid sim cards do allow the use of hotspot.

Eric

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast