Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a New Phone Bloatware to be Found?

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Buying a New Phone Bloatware to be Found?

I am thinking about buying the new LG Stylo 4 for MetroPCS and going to their service in the future. But I was curious as to what bloatware can be found upon the new device? Which apps to keep and which to delete altogether? Anyone have a listing of all the apps? Would be great.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tons of crap, there's probably just over 20gb of space when booted up
    It is what it is and that's all it is!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    I am thinking about buying the new LG Stylo 4 for MetroPCS and going to their service in the future. But I was curious as to what bloatware can be found upon the new device? Which apps to keep and which to delete altogether? Anyone have a listing of all the apps? Would be great.
    I don't have the Stylo, but if it works like the other phones I have bought recently you won't be able to delete much of anything. The best you can do is disable the crud from running and just ignore that they are there.

I have had big problems with bloatware taking up so much space that I couldn't install all of the few apps I like to have on 8 GB storage phones. I have had no problem with 16 GB storage phones.

The Stylo 4 is a 32 GB storage phone. There should be plenty of storage remaining with the disabled bloatware there.

Device(s)
    Cricket E5 Supra, Stylo 4, metro Moto e5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    There was a video on YouTube which discussed that, I'm thinking they said about 20 gb left, but the specs reads up to 2tb of expandable so not sure if a big issue. Believe I posted the URL to that on one of the Stylo 4 threads where they were speed testing it to a s8. Interesting. and if that's not the right one, there are numerous others that should tell/show you everything you might want to know, including the big issue, that the back of the phone is plastic, and will scratch.
    The thing that surprised me was the speed shown by the s4, which is imo, one Hugh positive, not to mention the $30 Port in price.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well what are the bloatware apps listed? Why can't you remove them?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Bloatware is any app that's not part of stock Android that the user doesn't want. Carrier's and manufacturers like to install their bloatware as system apps. Apps that have been installed as system apps can't be removed unless the phone is rooted. Most carrier branded phones can't be rooted.
    See my list of 2019 Black Friday prepaid and unlocked phone deals at https://prepaidcompare.net/bf2019.html

Feedback Score
    You'll be able to disable most of them. They will be the same bloat found on any metro device. My metro, metro zone, metro visual voicemail, name i.d., Facebook, metro launcher, lookout security, if you count Google's duo as bloat that will be there. The stylo 4 runs lg's custom skin for Android (think they still are calling it lg ux, though they may of changed the name to thinq or something like that recently) so it will also have a ton of LG apps installed as well. A lot of those can also be disabled. Those aren't considered carrier bloat though.
    Last edited by skylar_G; 06-18-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    ....Most carrier branded phones can't be rooted.
    Is this the case now? In the past I believe most all Android phones were rootable including carrier branded.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Is this the case now? In the past I believe most all Android phones were rootable including carrier branded.
    Most devices now have locked bootloader's which make them next to impossible to root. Not to mention the development community today is a lot smaller than it was years ago, so even if a device can be rooted, unless it's a popular or major device, it has no support. The community pretty much died after people found out all people did was complain, wanted everything done for free, and if it's not done by yesterday they complained some more. Didnt help matters when the largest development community went under (CyanogenMod), they were never really responsible for finding root for a device, but, one of the big reasons people wanted to root was to flash a custom recovery to flash the latest versions of cyanmod. Another reason the development community died is Android itself has gotten much better over the years so the reasons for root have decreased, with that Google also made it harder on developers. The root and development community is nowhere near what it used to be due to a combination of all those things.
    Last edited by skylar_G; 06-19-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What is rooting an Android phone do?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What is rooting an Android phone do?
    google xda

Feedback Score
    bullguard.com

Rooting is a process that allows you to attain root access to the Android operating system code (the equivalent term for Apple devices id jailbreaking). It gives you privileges to modify the software code on the device or install other software that the manufacturer wouldn't normally allow you to.

Feedback Score
    I don't have the phone so I don't have the full list. They typically include some that are particularity egregious, like Uber, Yellopages, Facebook, Amazon. They will pop up periodically and try to get you to sign up for service. Disable them and all the apps you will never use and you will still have plenty of storage to install many apps that you do want to use on a 16 or 32 GB storage phone.

You can't remove them because the manufacturer has disabled that ability. They do this because the app publishers pay the manufacturer to put them on the phone that way. At least recent versions of Android give us the ability to disable and ignore them. This was not always the case.

Device(s)
    i880
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevako View Post
    Tons of crap, there's probably just over 20gb of space when booted up
    Almost 21!

Device(s)
    i880
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Because companies pay for them to be on each phone, facebook probably pays XX price per phone they are on, and cannot be removed only disabled, it's a way for them to make money, most of the apps that are installed are not that large, specially when you have a 32gb phone, but every carrier I've seen has crap on them, its all about money if they get paid more or some incentive why not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast