Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone situatuion and opinions about new no contract phone

Feedback Score

Tracfone situatuion and opinions about new no contract phone

First time posting here, not sure if this is the best place to post this. This will be a little long to read so here goes.

First my issue with tracfone. I have been using tracfone for a while now and not really had any issues with them up until recently. I bought a new tracfone to replace my old tracfone, nothing was wrong with old one. On the old tracfone, it still had 949 minutes and 27 days left. I was hoping to transfer all the minutes along with the same number to the new phone, have done this in the past with no issues. I went to the tracfone website to start the activation process for the new phone. I went through all the steps it had asked for and it said it could take up to 2 days, which I also thought was kind a long time. Never took this long in the past. Another thing I found out about the process was it only asked for the phone number of the old phone, no serial number or anything. It only asked me for the serial number for the new phone.

Well 2 days go by and my new phone still isn't activated. So I started an online chat with tracfone. Well in the middle of this chat, the old phone gets a new number, not sure why. Then they go to say the old number can't be used anymore as it is not active. Not sure why the number got switched anyways. I would like to have kept the same number but I can live with it. I don't have alot of contacts, maybe 15 or so, not too terrible to update all my contacts with my new number. So I give that one up, we go ahead and transfer the minutes to the new phone. The person said it could take a few minutes or an hour to complete. Well, an hour goes by and nothing has been transferred. Old phone still has all the minutes.

I start another online chat to find out what is going on. The person asks me for the serial numbers and whatnot and comes back and says the old phone has been deactivated, today is the last service day so the minutes can't be transferred to the new phone even though the phone still shows all the minutes and the service days left. There is over 900 minutes on the old phone. At this moment, I am still able to make phone calls on the old phone that for them is showing deactivated. How is that possible. So according to them, nothing could be done to get the minutes off the old phone. Not sure what I could do, I returned the new phone and am still using my old phone until the service days or minutes run out.

Because of this bad customer service, I am looking for a different service of prepaid phone. I don't use the cell phone all that much, not like the phone is my job or anything, don't do alot of texting. I would like to have a flip phone instead of a touch screen phone. What I did like about tracfone is the minutes and service is cheaper than other services I have looked at. Most are 1 month service while tracfone was 90 days or more for cheaper. I just mainly use the phone to make calls, don't use it for internet or taking pictures, just mainly calls and a small amount of texting. The brands that did have service comparable to tracfone was AT&T but they only had touchscreen phones, well this was looking at walmart. The one thing I would like for it to have is bluetooth.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    I went to the tracfone website to start the activation process for the new phone. I went through all the steps it had asked for and it said it could take up to 2 days, which I also thought was kind a long time. Never took this long in the past.
    If your old phone and new phones use different carriers (TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, TF/T-mobile), a transfer can take up to 2 days (usually less though) because the old carrier has to release the number before it can be transferred to the new carrier. There's a human approval involved and it takes time. If both phone use the same carrier, the transfer sometimes can be instantaneous.

Another thing I found out about the process was it only asked for the phone number of the old phone, no serial number or anything. It only asked me for the serial number for the new phone.
    If the old phone was in your TF account, TF system knows its serial number and balance. That's why it only asked for the phone number to know which phone is being transferred.

Feedback Score
    Both the old phone and new phone was tracfone.

Yes the old phone was in my TF account. Anytime I had done this in the past, it was pretty quick, usually a few minutes. But not this time. I waited a couple of days and nothing ever happened. Then I contacted tracfone through online chat and that is when my old phone had it's number changed, then they say old phone is deactivated and minutes and service can't be transferred.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Both the old phone and new phone was tracfone.
    Tracfone uses 3 different carriers for their phones: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, depending on the model. For non-smartphones, model numbers ending with a "C" use Verizon, model numbers ending with a "G" can be on AT&T or T-mobile. For smartphones, models ending with "VL" use Verizon, models ending with "AL" use AT&T, models with "TL" or "BL" can be on either AT&T or T-mobile.

What are the model numbers of your old phone and new phone?

Feedback Score
    New one was TRACFONE ZTE Z232TL 4G LTE and the current one is LG LG329G

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think the Z232TL uses T-Mobile. The LG329G uses AT&T.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Escalate. Get to executive resolutions.

The system may show it deactivated but they can save the airtime. The can also fix the activation issue with new phone and get the airtime moved.

But you probably need someone that can still access airtime using code entry mode.

As for wanting a flip phone, AT&T has some for prepaid. Your local store may not carry them, but they exist.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-PREPA...lack/195175513

Feedback Score
    Yes the old phone was in my TF account. Anytime I had done this in the past, it was pretty quick, usually a few minutes. But not this time. I waited a couple of days and nothing ever happened. Then I contacted tracfone through online chat and that is when my old phone had it's number changed, then they say old phone is deactivated and minutes and service can't be transferred.
    This should have been an easy service transfer. Is the new phone in your TF account? What does it show? Do you have a case number?

Some options:
    * Keep trying with a different chat CSR. They vary a lot.
    * Contact Executive Resolutions. One number is 800-876-5753.
    * File a complaint with the Miami BBS. TracFone has special people that respond to this. Often helps.
    https://www.bbb.org/en/us/local-bbb/...-the-caribbean

Feedback Score
    I have already returned the new phone, was ready to make a switch then. So both new and old phone does not show in account, new one never did and old one was in there before I talked to tracfone.

One thing I don't get is tracfone shows old phone deactivated, not showing in my account either. Yet the phone still shows service and I am still able to make calls with it.

Ty for the help so far. I will try contacting them again and see if I can get anything done. They gave me a couple different case numbers.

Device(s)
    The activated one(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Safelink)
    Feedback Score
    So it sounds like your old # is (was?) in limbo from the transfer between (behind the scenes) carriers.

Did you give your ticket number from the initial website transfer/activation when you started the chat 2days later?

I have already returned the new phone, was ready to make a switch then. So both new and old phone does not show in account, new one never did and old one was in there before I talked to tracfone.

One thing I don't get is tracfone shows old phone deactivated, not showing in my account either. Yet the phone still shows service and I am still able to make calls with it.

Ty for the help so far. I will try contacting them again and see if I can get anything done. They gave me a couple different case numbers.
    Did the new phone ever "work"? (before being returned)
    (Our) Phone History At-a-Glance:
    '08-on Tracfone (Vz) using:
    1. '19- : Vzw on Moto E5 (with unl talk $30)
    2. '17-'19 : BYOP(Vzw) on UsC Moto E4 + LG Rebel 3
    3. '16-'17 : BYOP(Vzw) on HTC Desire 526
    4. '14-'16 : Huawei Glory H868C
    5. '12-'14 : LG800g
    6. '08-'12 : Motorola W376g
    '05-'08 Verizon & Sprint used: Moto Razr+LG Cosmos 2 & LG Optimus '05
    '03-'05 Alltel & Cingular
    '01 AT&T

Feedback Score
    ...Because of this bad customer service, I am looking for a different service of prepaid phone. I don't use the cell phone all that much, not like the phone is my job or anything, don't do alot of texting. I would like to have a flip phone instead of a touch screen phone. What I did like about tracfone is the minutes and service is cheaper than other services I have looked at. Most are 1 month service while tracfone was 90 days or more for cheaper. I just mainly use the phone to make calls, don't use it for internet or taking pictures, just mainly calls and a small amount of texting. The brands that did have service comparable to tracfone was AT&T but they only had touchscreen phones, well this was looking at walmart. The one thing I would like for it to have is bluetooth.
    What carrier(s) do you want to use?

There is not much out there that is prepaid like Tracfone, but there are some monthly plans that are equivalent in average monthly cost.

There is not much selection left for flip phones. If you are not particular there are still a few. Most of the newer ones do have Bluetooth.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    PPC now allows LTE phones on their Pay-As-You-Go Plan, fka Standard Plan. See: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

The overall value is not as good as TF, but with today's change to allow LTE phones, is now another option for paygo with modern phones.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    PPC now allows LTE phones on their Pay-As-You-Go Plan, fka Standard Plan. See: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
    Well, out of he blue...

Many had hoped for that but they've held off for so long some lOst hope.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Well, out of he blue...

Many had hoped for that but they've held off for so long some lOst hope.
    That's for sure!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracbourne View Post
    So it sounds like your old # is (was?) in limbo from the transfer between (behind the scenes) carriers.

Did you give your ticket number from the initial website transfer/activation when you started the chat 2days later?

Did the new phone ever "work"? (before being returned)

When I did the initial activation myself through the website, I never did get any type of ticket number.

The new phone never did work, never showed any minutes or service on it.

If I am able to get my service transferred to a new phone, wouldn't bother me too much to stay with tracfone. They are causing me alot of aggrevation right now but this is the first time this has happened and been with them for several years now.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast