Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone situatuion and opinions about new no contract phone

Feedback Score
    Sending a MMS to your own phone also simplifies testing initially as that should work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    If your Data is turned ON but an MMS message still doesn't get sent, check and see if Data is actually working on your phone. Turn WiFi off, then try to access the Internet with a browser. If it can't, then it's probably one of the reasons mentioned by tfusr19 and ST Dog.
    I was able to access the internet with wifi off.

When sending an MMS, is it using text, data or both? If using just data, how much should it use if let's say sending a text only message to 5 people?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    When sending an MMS, is it using text, data or both? If using just data, how much should it use if let's say sending a text only message to 5 people?
    On a phone with 3 buckets, I believe an MMS uses one text unit (or more if it's a long message) for each recipient and some data units. On a phone with single-bucket, it'll deduct some units from the single bucket, more than what it would deduct for an SMS. Some forum members know all the fine details, I never bother to calculate.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
    When sending an MMS, is it using text, data or both?
    It uses both, but I don't think it's a SMS for each. (Been on unlimited for a while).

Feedback Score
    Perfect opportunity for the OP to collect some data and tell us how it currently works

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    It uses both, but I don't think it's a SMS for each. (Been on unlimited for a while).
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Perfect opportunity for the OP to collect some data and tell us how it currently works
    If they get MMS working.

I may get a chance to test later (not sure if my TF TMO sim is at house, and would have to go somewhere with signal). Need to do phone repairs first (putting new LCD and digitizer on two).

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    On a phone with 3 buckets, I believe an MMS uses one text unit (or more if it's a long message) for each recipient and some data units.
    I just tested by sending an MMS with an attached picture from my Phoenix 2 TF/AT&T to two phones. It deducted 2 text units. The attachment is 140KB and the data balance (in MB) didn't even show a change.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It deducted 2 text units. The attachment is 140KB and the data balance (in MB) didn't even show a change.
    Well, that's interesting and unfortunate.
    Really should only count 1 as all the info about recipients should be I'm the data payload.

Not surprised the data balance didn't change. It'd not real time. It's always been delayed.

Feedback Score
    I recently sent a picture with a tracfone with no data left and the pic sent with no issues. Used 1 text message. Dont think I was on wifi. Will test again to verify with no wifi.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not surprised the data balance didn't change. It'd not real time. It's always been delayed.
    I dialed *777*1# on my Phoenix 2 to get the balance directly from AT&T. It did take about 5 minutes for the text balance to be deducted. The data balance is still unchanged now (over 5 hrs after testing), I think that's because the attachment (140KB) plus any overhead is less than 1MB which is the minimum data balance increment.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I was going to post that the amount of data used is generally smaller than the bucket resolution

I dialed *777*1# on my Phoenix 2 to get the balance directly from AT&T. It did take about 5 minutes for the text balance to be deducted. The data balance is still unchanged now (over 5 hrs after testing), I think that's because the attachment (140KB) plus any overhead is less than 1MB which is the minimum data balance increment.

Feedback Score
    Even if WiFi was on it should not matter as MMS transmission exclusively uses mobile data if sending via carrier network on Androids.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg32901 View Post
    I recently sent a picture with a tracfone with no data left and the pic sent with no issues. Used 1 text message. Dont think I was on wifi. Will test again to verify with no wifi.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Even if WiFi was on it should not matter as MMS transmission exclusively uses mobile data if sending via carrier network on Androids.
    Good to know

I pulled out the Tracfone with 0.00mb of data and was able to send a couple pictures with no issues and no data or WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There might be a few drops left in the data bucket. You can try browsing with WiFi off and mobile data on to completely dry out the data bucket, then try sending a text to multiple recipients again and see what happens. Maybe it will still work because you are not sending any attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by kevdogg32901 View Post
    Good to know

I pulled out the Tracfone with 0.00mb of data and was able to send a couple pictures with no issues and no data or WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The data balance is still unchanged now (over 5 hrs after testing), I think that's because the attachment (140KB) plus any overhead is less than 1MB which is the minimum data balance increment.
    Guess it depends on the balance some, as I recall 2 places to the right of the decimal through one of the methods to check balance.

Or maybe my memory is bad.

But I also remember it taking 12+ hours for data balance to update sometimes.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast