Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Examining the Competitive Impact of the T-Mobile/Sprint Transaction (Senate Hearing)

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Examining the Competitive Impact of the T-Mobile/Sprint Transaction (Senate Hearing)

Some congressional aid is happy with that " Game of Phones" heading.... I sure hope John Legere wears a real suit today and keeps it under control. Mr. Marcelo Claure maybe helps the cause today.

Examining the Competitive Impact of the T-Mobile/Sprint Transaction (Senate Hearing)
    Rootmetrics Overall Winner of the 125 Metro areas report for 1H2018;

Verizon has 101 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets. (counting Hawaii off Map)
    T-Mobile has 63 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets. (counting Hawaii off Map)
    AT&T has 30 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.
    Sprint has 3 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Some congressional aid is happy with that " Game of Phones" heading.... I sure hope John Legere wears a real suit today and keeps it under control. Mr. Marcelo Claure maybe helps the cause today.

I think John's the man for the job. He can be quite convincing

From what it sounds like there isn't a huge objection (at least so far) to it by the gov so that's a good sign

Feedback Score

It's on now. Shilo's link takes you to the Senate video. It's not on CSpan.

Feedback Score
    I sure hope John Legere wears a real suit today and keeps it under control. Mr. Marcelo Claure maybe helps the cause today.
    John is wearing a suit coat/sport coat over his T-Mo T-shirt.

Usual talking points so far. JL or MC said that they will cover ALL of the country, not just metro, including rural. I hope someone grills them on where they are going to get the boatload of money that will take. T-Mo combined with Sprint doesn't cover much more than they currently do individually.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    With how much struggling sprint has been doing I think the merger is the best decision at this point.

If TMobile can do wait they claim they will (at least try) then I'm all for it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    With how much struggling sprint has been doing I think the merger is the best decision at this point.

If TMobile can do wait they claim they will (at least try) then I'm all for it
    We know that Sprint is in sad shape. In the hearing, they have not emphasized that Sprint has no chance of succeeding on their own.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It just ended. I only watched the last 45 minutes or so... During the time I watched I only saw three Senators at the hearing. Was there any more at the meeting than before I turned it on? These are the Three Senators I saw;

Amy Jean Klobuchar US Senator Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, Minnesota's affiliate of the U.S. Democratic Party.

Michael Shumway Lee US Senator from Utah. A libertarian-leaning member of the Republican Party.

Richard Blumenthal a United States Senator from Connecticut.

Looked like Ms Klobuchar and Mr Lee were just taking terms back and forth since they were at the last 25 minutes the only Senators at the meeting. Neither one has a clue about spectrum. They seem to have a lot of fun at the meeting and didn't understand what the purpose of 5G NR was other than speed. They did seem to care about rural areas being served between their joking. Mr Lee had to show off his Spanish by asking what I guess was a joke to Mario that replied with one word as everyone laughed.

Mr Blumenthal wasn't there long and only seemed interested how many jobs the people of Connecticut would lose or add. Then he left the meeting.

John Legere was on point during the time I was there watching. I was dying laughing when Legere was trying to explain latency to them about autonomous cars. Mr Lee and Ms Klobuchar were asking questions like does the world have a race for 5G? Ms Klobuchar was feed a lot of issues from the Australian guy that started and sold Boost Mobile and wants it back in a merger. There were going back and forth about Pre-Paid and Post-Paid customers that the Boost guy had given them. Both Mario and John said today there is almost no differences between pre or post paid other than when they pay each month. As Ms Klobuchar circled back John told her she had been set up by the Boost guy that wants it pulled from the deal so he could buy it, which Ms Klobuchar said I wasn't aware of that and will check that out.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 06-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

John Legere was on point during the time I was there watching. I was dying laughing when Legere was trying to explain latency to them about autonomous cars. Mr Lee and Ms Klobuchar were asking questions like does the world have a race for 5G? Ms Klobuchar was feed a lot of issues from the Australian guy that started and sold Boost Mobile and wants it back in a merger. There were going back and forth about Pre-Paid and Post-Paid customers that the Boost guy had given them. Both Mario and John said today there is almost no differences between pre or post paid other than when they pay each month. As Ms Klobuchar circled back John told her she had been set up by the Boost guy that wants it pulled from the deal so he could buy it, which Ms Klobuchar said I wasn't aware of that and will check that out.
    Haha! Peter Adderton, right?

I feel like if someone is adamantly opposed to the merger for fear of prices being raised then they should be just as adamant about having Verizon/AT&T broken up; but they're not and would prefer that T-Mobile eternally bear that burden.

In my honest opinion he's not trying to get the merger blocked as much as he's trying to get concessions out of the deal; which in his case is being able to buy Boost and take it private and less about saving customers money.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    It just ended. I only watched the last 45 minutes or so... During the time I watched I only saw three Senitors asking questions. Was there any more at the meeting than before I turned it on? These are the Three Senators I saw;
    I watched the whole thing. Sens. Klobuchar, Lee and Blumenthal were the only ones there. Sen. Blumenthal only asked one round of questions. All the rest of the 2+ hours was introductions, opening statements, questions from Lee and Klobuchar and responses from the panel.

Good catch on JL's part to point out the Boost guy's conflicted interest in how this goes.

I did not think the two consumer advocate people made compelling arguments that we must keep four carriers. One of them brought up the old saw that T-Mo and Sprint could just continue on their own or they could find other partners.

They can't find other partners. It has been tried. There just isn't enough interest by other parties to take on the risk in providing the massive amounts of capital required. This is especially true of Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I watched the whole thing. Sens. Klobuchar, Lee and Blumenthal were the only ones there. Sen. Blumenthal only asked one round of questions. All the rest of the 2+ hours was introductions, opening statements, questions from Lee and Klobuchar and responses from the panel.

Good catch on JL's part to point out the Boost guy's conflicted interest in how this goes.

I did not think the two consumer advocate people made compelling arguments that we must keep four carriers. One of them brought up the old saw that T-Mo and Sprint could just continue on their own or they could find other partners.

They can't find other partners. It has been tried. There just isn't enough interest by other parties to take on the risk in providing the massive amounts of capital required. This is especially true of Sprint.
    Saw the whole thing to. Get sent a replay of it. The only people that were of any value there were Legere and oh can't remember his name, the first old guy from one of the consumer groups. Claure couldn't stop sweating and stammering over everything he said, the 5g "expert" couldn't stop stammering and really offered nothing for either argument, her main argument was the FCC needs to open up mid band auctions for all carriers, that other lady was useless, not sure why she was even there and that last old guy from the other consumer group was equally useless. The only people prepared to answer anything were Legere and that first old guy.

Few points, Sen. Lee set up Legere perfectly with a question and Legere totally wiffed on the answer. They were discussing how T-Mobile needs sprint to compete with att and Verizon, so Lee led him saying then I suppose most of your customers come from sprint, trying to strengthen the argument they need to merge to compete, Legere didn't see this an an easy feed and replied no, most come from at&t. This weakens their argument they need to merge to compete. You can kind of see the surprise on Sen. Lee's face at this answer. He set up Legere perfectly for the response he wanted and Legere missed it.

Second takeaway, that one old guy (the useful one not the useless one) got a good point in, Legere made a statement that if the merger happened it wouldn't be 3 carriers competing, it would be 2 versus 1, well the old guy countered and said in other claims you make you say it's 7 or 8 competing you can't have it both ways, which is entirely true.

Overall it was boring, both sides brought up what they feel was important, I don't think it hurt the merger, but I also don't think it helped the merger. Nothing was groundbreaking from it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Few points, Sen. Lee set up Legere perfectly with a question and Legere totally wiffed on the answer. They were discussing how T-Mobile needs sprint to compete with att and Verizon, so Lee led him saying then I suppose most of your customers come from sprint, trying to strengthen the argument they need to merge to compete, Legere didn't see this an an easy feed and replied no, most come from at&t. This weakens their argument they need to merge to compete. You can kind of see the surprise on Sen. Lee's face at this answer. He set up Legere perfectly for the response he wanted and Legere missed it.
    I don't see how one could whiff on an answer about a factual occurrence. If most of T-mobile's customers come from AT&T and Legere knows that is the case, then he has to give an honest response and not a response that sounds better.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I don't see how one could whiff on an answer about a factual occurrence. If most of T-mobile's customers come from AT&T and Legere knows that is the case, then he has to give an honest response and not a response that sounds better.
    Because it's hard to claim you can't compete against a company without a merger in one sentence, then in the next say oh yea, were taking customers from them on a 2 to 1 basis. It kind of hurts your argument there. But, he was honest. I give him that. He even appeared to be bragging about it.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thought you guys would like a picture. I'll be so glad when this is all done and approved.

Attachment 158527

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    John is wearing a suit coat/sport coat over his T-Mo T-shirt.

Usual talking points so far. JL or MC said that they will cover ALL of the country, not just metro, including rural. I hope someone grills them on where they are going to get the boatload of money that will take. T-Mo combined with Sprint doesn't cover much more than they currently do individually.
    I think that the key point is that if Sprint doesn't merge with T-Mobile it doesn't mean the end of Sprint. Some other company will pick up the pieces, whether it's Dish, Google, or some other company. Google has the money that would be needed to convert Sprint into a nationwide carrier, T-Mobile does not. There's not much upside in terms of additional rural subscribers in becoming a national carrier with more coverage since covering rural areas is costly. The upside is in gaining urban customers that avoid Sprint and T-Mobile because they travel through rural areas and want coverage.

Since rural customers already are using AT&T or Verizon (or a smaller local carrier) it's of little consequence competitively if Sprint and T-Mobile merge since those rural customers can't switch to either carrier anyway. This is very different than the AT&T/T-Mobile merger where the government made a wise decision in blocking it.

There will be job losses which is too bad. At the retail level, half as many stores will be needed. At the corporate level there will be big job losses as well.
    Last edited by smsgator; 06-28-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Many
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Thought you guys would like a picture. I'll be so glad when this is all done and approved.

Attachment 158527
    Although the court screwed up on the AT&T-TW merger, I'm hoping that whatever court ends up hearing the DOJ case against this one uses the same logic, since they basically said vertical mergers are fine, and horizontal mergers are not, which would block T-Sprint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast