Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tempted by Verizon Prepaid's Double data special?

Feedback Score

Anyone tempted by Verizon Prepaid's Double data special?

Just saw that Verizon itself is offering the double data on prepaid. $50 for 14GB of data and $60 for 20GB of data. I was thinking the 14GB plan for $50

I have phone will all bands and this is prepaid so I am tempted to test the Verizon network out. But I keep hearing about how so many people get slow speeds on Verizon both on postpaid and prepaid. I could try it for a month and then switch back. Maybe by that time AT&T would have a new deal on prepaid? I doubt that though since they just came out with the 8Gb plan and updated and that $85/$75 Gig plan unlimited plan (which I am on this month). I am travel about 30 minutes north, south, east and west of Baltimore every week and allegedly Verizon service is supposed to be good.

Another thing I am worried about is, is inconsistent VOLTE. I talk on the phone alot and AT&T's H+ I hear can be more reliable than VOLTE whether it be AT&T or Verizon while VOLTE can drop calls. This is why I am so content with not having Volte on AT&T prepaid. So I don't know.

Again, it is tempting. It's no commitment. Just wondering if anyone else who 1) Verizon works in the area 2) has a compatible phone may want to try it out for a month.

Anyone else tempted? Keyword being tempted. What will make you bite the bullet even if only for one month?

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm actually in the same boat as you. I just found out about this promo earlier today & I've been thinking about it ever since. I'm currently on the $45 Gophone plan with 6GB's of data. I'm also considering the Verizon $50 plan with 14GB's of data.

To be honest I'm not sure what to do. My data usage varies from month to month & sometimes it's as low as 2GB's but it's been as high as 8GB's in a month. The rollover on Gophone helps tremendously with my varied data usage. But the thing is I don't really need additional data right now but I guess that could change in the future. The other thing is that right now I pay about $40 a month by refilling through Callingmart & I don't think they offer discount codes for Verizon prepaid so I'd basically be paying $10 more a month.

One more thing that has me concerned is I've seen a lot of complaints of slow speeds on Verizon prepaid & Verizon MVNO's with video's especially being a problem with constant buffering. With Gophone I never seem to have any data slow downs, it's been very reliable. However like you said I could always switch back if I didn't like Verizon prepaid. I'm going to think about it for a few days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    I'm actually in the same boat as you. I just found out about this promo earlier today & I've been thinking about it ever since. I'm currently on the $45 Gophone plan with 6GB's of data. I'm also considering the Verizon $50 plan with 14GB's of data.

To be honest I'm not sure what to do. My data usage varies from month to month & sometimes it's as low as 2GB's but it's been as high as 8GB's in a month. The rollover on Gophone helps tremendously with my varied data usage. But the thing is I don't really need additional data right now but I guess that could change in the future. The other thing is that right now I pay about $40 a month by refilling through Callingmart & I don't think they offer discount codes for Verizon prepaid so I'd basically be paying $10 more a month.

One more thing that has me concerned is I've seen a lot of complaints of slow speeds on Verizon prepaid & Verizon MVNO's with video's especially being a problem with constant buffering. With Gophone I never seem to have any data slow downs, it's been very reliable. However like you said I could always switch back if I didn't like Verizon prepaid. I'm going to think about it for a few days.
    I went from 6GB to the 8GB plan in May and then got carried away and used all 8G in like 25 says. Rather than add the 3GB for $20 I switched to the unlimited plan. For the month of July. However, I had to really just not turn on wifi to get 22GB. In reality 8-11 GBs is enough. We shall see. My plan renews on July 2nd. So either I am dropping back down to 8GB or testing out Verizon. But the prolonged slow speeds are scary. Also I am unaware what calling Mart discounts if any are used for Verizon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm with Verizon Prepaid and have been for I don't know how long. I've never had speed or VoLTE issues. But it's all about location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    I'm with Verizon Prepaid and have been for I don't know how long. I've never had speed or VoLTE issues. But it's all about location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And time of day.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Since I left Verizon due to frequent drops to 3G at my work cubicle, this isn't too tempting. Other locations, Verizon is generally better for me.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Since I left Verizon due to frequent drops to 3G at my work cubicle, this isn't too tempting. Other locations, Verizon is generally better for me.
    Where is work located?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    Where is work located?

The large building in Oklahoma I work at. My cubicle is away from he windows.

How location affects signal is strange. In the building T-Mobile and ATT work better than Verizon. Yet, just a block away under the overpass for the interstate, T-Mobile will drop calls, but ATT and Verizon work fine.

Feedback Score
    This was admittedly tempting for a moment - a really brief moment - until reality set in:

1) Yes, 14GB is nice but I don't need it. On the 8GB plan I'll have somewhere between 10 and 14GB next month after rollover and limited hotspotting.
    2) Cost - a two-line plan on the 7/14GB plan is $85; add in the 5% discounts available out there and it's down to $80.75, and at that I'm not sure how Verizon Prepaid handles taxes and fees. I'm still coasting on $59.85 for two lines on AT&T Prepaid thanks to Target, so Verizon isn't worth $20/month more to me.
    3) Phones - Compared to GSM options, the selection of Verizon phones just isn't as good. I'm very happy with the Honor 6X, which wouldn't work on Verizon.

If the coverage works for you, VoLTE is a priority, and you need the data, then the Verizon promo is definitely a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornos View Post
    This was admittedly tempting for a moment - a really brief moment - until reality set in:

1) Yes, 14GB is nice but I don't need it. On the 8GB plan I'll have somewhere between 10 and 14GB next month after rollover and limited hotspotting.
    2) Cost - a two-line plan on the 7/14GB plan is $85; add in the 5% discounts available out there and it's down to $80.75, and at that I'm not sure how Verizon Prepaid handles taxes and fees. I'm still coasting on $59.85 for two lines on AT&T Prepaid thanks to Target, so Verizon isn't worth $20/month more to me.
    3) Phones - Compared to GSM options, the selection of Verizon phones just isn't as good. I'm very happy with the Honor 6X, which wouldn't work on Verizon.

If the coverage works for you, VoLTE is a priority, and you need the data, then the Verizon promo is definitely a good deal.
    I had 6GB then went over every 3 months so I bought the extra 3Gb for $20. Then went the 8GB came out I said perfect and then got crazy with the hotspot and instagram. But that just takes some regulation. But I decided to jump to the $85/$75 unlimited for a few reasons. I wanted to see what happens after 22GB. But the reality is I am struggling to get there with WIFI off. I should know by the end of the day as I am at 21.7GB now and 4 days left in the billing cycle.
    I think my average is about 8GB honestly. But I do the 8GB plan and need more I can buy the 3GB again for a total of 11GB. That would costs the same as the verizon 14GB.

I think I am just excited to switch because I can (unlocked phone and prepaid) versus that I absolutely need to.

I am most afraid of call quality when VOLTE does not work. I am an East Coaster with AT&T for the past 13 years. I am spoiled.

And lastly, I am possibly setting myself up for an AT&T prepaid new subscriber deal in the future? lol One can only speculate.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'd be all over it if some, or one of the plans included Mexico roaming. Plus, the discounted refill pins on AT&T prepaid are the icing on the cake. Definitely a good deal for those who Verizon fits their needs. I wonder if this will trigger any action from AT&T?

Sent from my H1711 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA2TX View Post
    I wonder if this will trigger any action from AT&T?

Yeah I doubt AT&T would do anything as this is a limited time offer. Think about it, by the time they "react" the deal would be over.

And you are right about the callingmart discounts but the verizon plan still comes out less per Gb. The AT&T 8gb plans comes to $36 after autopay discount and 10% of which is $4.5/GB. If you add go over and att 3GB for $20. Then for 11Gigs you paid $56 and $5.09/GB.

The verizon $14GB is $50. My states has 6% sales tax plus the E911 fee of $1. That would bring it to $54 for 14gb or $3.85/gig of data. And that is without what looks to be the 5% off from calling mart.

But as was said before, consistency of speed, and call reliability may be more important to some.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5x
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I doubt AT&T would do anything as this is a limited time offer. Think about it, by the time they "react" the deal would be over.

And you are right about the callingmart discounts but the verizon plan still comes out less per Gb. The AT&T 8gb plans comes to $36 after autopay discount and 10% of which is $4.5/GB. If you add go over and att 3GB for $20. Then for 11Gigs you paid $56 and $5.09/GB.

The verizon $14GB is $50. My states has 6% sales tax plus the E911 fee of $1. That would bring it to $54 for 14gb or $3.85/gig of data. And that is without what looks to be the 5% off from calling mart.

But as was said before, consistency of speed, and call reliability may be more important to some.
    Thanks for dissecting the prices on the plans, makes sense. Yes, it all comes down to what works for you.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Just saw that Verizon itself is offering the double data on prepaid. $50 for 14GB of data and $60 for 20GB of data. I was thinking the 14GB plan for $50

I have phone will all bands and this is prepaid so I am tempted to test the Verizon network out. But I keep hearing about how so many people get slow speeds on Verizon both on postpaid and prepaid. I could try it for a month and then switch back. Maybe by that time AT&T would have a new deal on prepaid? I doubt that though since they just came out with the 8Gb plan and updated and that $85/$75 Gig plan unlimited plan (which I am on this month). I am travel about 30 minutes north, south, east and west of Baltimore every week and allegedly Verizon service is supposed to be good.

Another thing I am worried about is, is inconsistent VOLTE. I talk on the phone alot and AT&T's H+ I hear can be more reliable than VOLTE whether it be AT&T or Verizon while VOLTE can drop calls. This is why I am so content with not having Volte on AT&T prepaid. So I don't know.

Again, it is tempting. It's no commitment. Just wondering if anyone else who 1) Verizon works in the area 2) has a compatible phone may want to try it out for a month.

Anyone else tempted? Keyword being tempted. What will make you bite the bullet even if only for one month?
    I would not be tempted by Verizon Wireless Pre Paid their data speeds were awful when I had them in Cincinnati Ohio. No Visual Voicemail since Verizon Wireless still considers it a premium feature and not a standard. The only benefit is HD Voice using Voice over LTE but can cause problems in low LTE Signal areas.

Feedback Score
    This plan is a few years late. "Unlimited" is falling from the skys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast