Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on staying?

Feedback Score

Sell me on staying?

Can anyone sell me on staying once my free year is up end of July?
    $60 is not worth it. I was planning on hopping back on Cricket for the $35 / 5GB plan.
    What cracks me up is I wanted to switch to the $15 plan now being offered and they wouldn't budge.
    IDK what it is with these companies not being able to think on the fly. I basically use the account as a placeholder since I have a Mobley in my car. My Sprint usage is minimal. I would pay the $15 depending on how much the fees push it to, but $20 for the Sprint service I get is all it's worth.

Sprint, Thanks for the free year!

- Moto e5 cruise (Cricket)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Feedback Score
    I'll add that since this is a post-paid service it does have value for porting in to other carriers. A free SE on Metro isn't bad but I have a feeling the SE will get a minor refresh soon. It may be worth holding onto for a month to see what the next Note and iPhone bring for transfers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    A free SE on Metro isn't bad but I have a feeling the SE will get a minor refresh soon.
    it probably will if the rumors and leaks are to be believed. look for an announcement around September, which i think is when the new iphone x2 or whatever it might be called is rumored to come out

Feedback Score
    $60 is not worth it. I was planning on hopping back on Cricket for the $35 / 5GB plan.
    What cracks me up is I wanted to switch to the $15 plan now being offered and they wouldn't budge.
    IDK what it is with these companies not being able to think on the fly. I basically use the account as a placeholder since I have a Mobley in my car. My Sprint usage is minimal. I would pay the $15 depending on how much the fees push it to, but $20 for the Sprint service I get is all it's worth.
    Incidentally, you could have had the $15 plan by just adding it as an additional line to your account using the online signup. It was not announced but it worked. I did it but cancelled it later.

At this point, you can probably get another year of the Free plan if you act fast and are willing to push the limits a little (unless they kill the free plan at the end of June and even then I think you can do it if you act really fast). First, port out your number right now to kill your free plan quickly. Then wait a couple of weeks and they will probably let you open a new one. Officially it is supposed to be only after 45 days but some reps will override that. Just try a few times. HOWEVER check on June 29 and 30 and if it looks as if they are closing the free plan at month end, beg them to let you back on right away. They will probably do it.

OR if you have say a spouse and can use their SSN, there is no problem at all doing it immediately.

I am now on my second year, by the way.

PostEdit: We are now so close to month-end that I might wait a couple of days to do it to see if they extend the free plan into July or not. Otherwise you would have to aim to do the whole round trip in little more than one day. I think even that could be challenging but possible if you think they are likely to end the offer at month end, as some think they may do.
    Last edited by comintel; 06-28-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Incidentally, you could have had the $15 plan by just adding it as an additional line to your account using the online signup. It was not announced but it worked. I did it but cancelled it later.

At this point, you can probably get another year of the Free plan if you act fast and are willing to push the limits a little (unless they kill the free plan at the end of June and even then I think you can do it if you act really fast). First, port out your number right now to kill your free plan quickly. Then wait a couple of weeks and they will probably let you open a new one. Officially it is supposed to be only after 45 days but some reps will override that. Just try a few times. HOWEVER check on June 29 and 30 and if it looks as if they are closing the free plan at month end, beg them to let you back on right away. They will probably do it.

OR if you have say a spouse and can use their SSN, there is no problem at all doing it immediately.

I am now on my second year, by the way.

PostEdit: We are now so close to month-end that I might wait a couple of days to do it to see if they extend the free plan into July or not. Otherwise you would have to aim to do the whole round trip in little more than one day. I think even that could be challenging but possible if you think they are likely to end the offer at month end, as some think they may do.
    Thanks for the response. I'm a slickdealer and would jump through some hurdles to save a buck or two but to transfer out and come back or use another person's SSN...I'm not gonna do that for Sprint. Two consecutive days of dropping important calls on my way home from work makes this service worth $15. I'm not on some podunk road. Interstate 76 is big artery from PA to OH. $60 a month...get outta here.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response. I'm a slickdealer and would jump through some hurdles to save a buck or two but to transfer out and come back or use another person's SSN...I'm not gonna do that for Sprint. Two consecutive days of dropping important calls on my way home from work makes this service worth $15. I'm not on some podunk road. Interstate 76 is big artery from PA to OH. $60 a month...get outta here.
    I agree.

Just out of curiosity, what phone are you using?

Feedback Score
    I took the $5 Essential offer from them so I'm toggling from the s8+ and that one. I feel like Essential with it's ceramic/titanium frame doesn't get as good reception as the s8+ but nothing scientific on that other than me getting more dropped calls.

Feedback Score
    I took the $5 Essential offer from them so I'm toggling from the s8+ and that one. I feel like Essential with it's ceramic/titanium frame doesn't get as good reception as the s8+ but nothing scientific on that other than me getting more dropped calls.
    Yes I like the S8+ too and it is a very good phone so I agree we have to blame Sprint coverage as the culprit since you are getting some dropped calls even with S8+.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Yes I like the S8+ too and it is a very good phone so I agree we have to blame Sprint coverage as the culprit since you are getting some dropped calls even with S8+.
    I'd like to see where this company densified their network. Same dropped calls over route 422 and I-76 for 15 years...

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    $60 is not worth it.
    This is why I am against giving away free service. It just never works that someone is willing to pay for something after they got for free. I sure hope that Sprint and T-Mobile merge and kill this free service of a year stuff than just is bad business. When someone gets something for free they always think it has no value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    This is why I am against giving away free service. It just never works that someone is willing to pay for something after they got for free. I sure hope that Sprint and T-Mobile merge and kill this free service of a year stuff than just is bad business. When someone gets something for free they always think it has no value.
    Eh. What was Sprint supposed to do with their awesome reputation? What was bad business was what Sprint was for the last 10 years. That's why they had to do this. And I never said it has zero value. For me it has a value of $15-$20. And honestly if they offered it as $15 instead of free from day one I wouldn't of switched. The $20 a month savings wasn't worth the hassle AND worse network.

You act like Sprint had a choice in the matter. Those MVNO's were saving the day for them /s....lolol.

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    'Cause it does have very little value. "Free unlimited" that only works in a few limited areas is really "low-cost limited".

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    If you actually bother to do the math out, it's a brilliant way to get customers. Look at the customer acquisition costs to pay off phones or offer other deals to get new customers versus just provisioning a SIM card on a network that already exists. Even if the take rate after a year is low, the acquisition costs are very low, so it ends up being relatively cost efficient. As long as only one carrier is doing it, it's a great idea. If two carriers do it, the game is ruined, as you will end up with people switching back and forth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    If you actually bother to do the math out, it's a brilliant way to get customers. Look at the customer acquisition costs to pay off phones or offer other deals to get new customers versus just provisioning a SIM card on a network that already exists. Even if the take rate after a year is low, the acquisition costs are very low, so it ends up being relatively cost efficient. As long as only one carrier is doing it, it's a great idea. If two carriers do it, the game is ruined, as you will end up with people switching back and forth.
    I agree 100%. I don't even like Sprint but his opinion comes off as snobby. IMHO Sprint should give anyone who was on their network from the awful slow 3G to their failed first run at 4G LTE (where you know talk/data actually worked at the same time for a nanosecond) to the spark transition or cough cough LTE plus a free year of service to simply make it right.

I just had to switch back to my galaxy because i'm noticing the Essential's screen is starting to separate from the device. It took me 25 minutes to swap back because their online chat never has the icon available and I'm sorry I don't have a third phone line to call from to switch back two devices. Bare bone Cricket...swap the SIM and move on.

The international rep does the best she can do and just offered me a $40 plan with 2GB of data. It's like....ah no. Come 7/31 I'll see if anything changes. The free year served it's purpose I guess. I mean the acquisition did happen, right? Who knows if the free year of service padded their numbers to make the deal go through...

Feedback Score
    Adios Sprint!

I feel so bad for what's left of U.S. Sprint employees. The woman working retensions wasn't given any chance to succeed by her company. What cracks me up to is I just saw a 6GB $40 plan in a Target store. Not that I would of taken it but this lady didn't couldn't offer me that or really anything. She tried the guilt trip of the one year of free service. Same as the foreign fellow. And both times I told them again it's like Sprint owed me that free year. Nothing changes with these companies. They don't value existing customers. I had a few weeks left on the free plan but some time today to take Cricket up on their free el cheapo Moto Cruise. It's not a bad device running 8.0 with the April security update. Time to update that HoFo signature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast