Thread: Projected 5G Coverage Maps

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Projected 5G Coverage Maps

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I noticed no love for Alaska? I guess GCI will be doing the heavy lifting there for 5G.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, though it does look a bit like more marketing material for the merger. They’re basically saying they can’t build out 5G properly unless they have Sprint’s high band spectrum.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Mega, OP6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I noticed no love for Alaska? I guess GCI will be doing the heavy lifting there for 5G.
    Yep I noticed that as well.

GCI has barely even deployed the band 12 that they received from T-Mobile...it’s not even deployed in the largest two cities yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With a state population of 739,795 in a state that is so big there is no one there to pay for coverage. No national network covers Alaska outside the few population centers. The Alaska's Aleutian Islands are so long they go to about 900 miles from Japan.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Interesting, though it does look a bit like more marketing material for the merger. They’re basically saying they can’t build out 5G properly unless they have Sprint’s high band spectrum.
    That's for sure.

I'd like to see them build out the foothill communities of the Sierra Nevadas here in Cali and take on Verizon in those former Golden State Cellular territories. It appears they just might.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    With a state population of 739,795 in a state that is so big there is no one there to pay for coverage. No national network covers Alaska outside the few population centers. The Alaska's Aleutian Islands are so long they go to about 900 miles from Japan.
    That makes sense. It would be cool if they could lease out airwaves to GCI for 5G NR with Band 71 and keep their reciprocal voice/data roaming agreement for those of us who go up there. Of course GCI would have to build them out but that's another story for another day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    yes it lacks the many hundred thousands or millions who travel through or live in most corners of the lower 48 states.

It makes financial sense and leads to profit for T-Mobile to cover those "one-horse" and so-called "illegimate cities" like Fargo-Moorhead...towns in Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma and other such states, where hundreds of thousands pass through every year, but it just doesn't really add up to do the same sort of thing in Alaska. Really, too few people.
    Last edited by NotABiot; 06-29-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S+ (Personal) iPhone 7 Qualcomm (Work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Personal) Verizon (Work)
    Feedback Score
    That's for sure.

I'd like to see them build out the foothill communities of the Sierra Nevadas here in Cali and take on Verizon in those former Golden State Cellular territories. It appears they just might.

I live in the former Golden State Cellular area and was able to grab a line of post paid on TMo for a month to try them out. They did a build out up here and turned the sites up about 6-8 months ago.
    While it was nice to see them trying, they're nowhere near being able to compete or match Verizon. Their site density simply isn't up to par. It's less than AT&T also. However, coverage was similar to AT&T. (I'm speaking mostly for Tuolumne County, where I live.) They're relying on so few sites to cover such a large amount of land that speeds are not impressive. After getting the phone, standing right outside the TMo store, I was sitting at -117 of Band 2, getting a whopping 500Kbps. Being the only store in the county, they need a site covering their store badly.
    During my month of testing I'd say it averaged around 4-8Mpbs.
    I give them props for all the expansion they've been doing though. I hope they keep it up.

And as a side note for the old GSC land, AT&T surprisingly enough has a handful of new build applications in with the county. Nice to see them investing in a rural area too.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is nothing more than marketing fluff to try and get the merger approved, similar to AT&T claiming they need T-Mobile for LTE. We all know how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone X using HoFo

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN