Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto E5 Supra

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Moto E5 Supra

Has anyone bought this phone? im looking for a 200 dollar budget for the girlfriend and this seems like it was just released and has a huge battery.. not many reviews online.

Feedback Score
    DO it, read about the moto g6 play...same cpu with less ram

Device(s)
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoOnion View Post
    isn't the Moto E5 plus idenical to the E5 supra?

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    It's the E5 PLUS, not the G6 Play. The Play is the lower end G version (released a while ago under the name "cruise" on Cricket). The E5 Supra is not only one of the best E model phones as well as one of the best (IMO) Cricket has at the moment, its also one of only two places you can get this variant in the united states. We had at least two threads mention it recently here, this is the most recent one (which as of the time of this writing, was only a couple of threads under yours if you had looked)
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-now-available

Not a whole lot of info yet, the phone did just launch and until a couple of days ago wasn't available to order online (only in specific local stores, not ones near me tho). If you google for reviews of the E5 Plus, that's what you'll be getting. I think it is very decent, WiFi calling, 3GB of RAM, excellent battery. Its the only thing I'd consider to replace my wife's LG X Charge. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale.

A guy who operates a cricket store on Reddit mentioned that the specs were great, but the design isn't anything special- moto isn't known for their design sense anymore. Their phones are pretty utilitarian now- for example, my Moto G5 Plus is wonderful, reliable, fast, and works great (helps that I got the 4GB version and hacked the camera to get the Pixel's HDR+), but while it is one of the more reliable phones I've ever owned, its also very likely the ugliest. Feels like something that would have been OK looking several generations ago, but even the Alcatel Idol is better looking IMO. No matter, I throw mine in a case anyway so the aesthetics don't matter nearly as much as how well it works, and I think the motos work great. My son has an E4 and while it also isn't much of a looker, it makes up for it by being a great phone he can knock around.

Now, the Reddit store manager I mentioned above did also mention to me that he'd personally wait for the Stylo 4. Better CPU, more bells and whistles (pen stylus), nicer looking device. But, will likely cost $100 more than this one. And personally, I've had better experiences with low end Moto than I have low end LG. But to each their own. Good luck!
    Last edited by Dishe; 06-29-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Noobs

Op, read reviews about the g6 play which is essentially the same thing. That should give you an idea of it's performance. The Supra gives more storage and ram....

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajet7 View Post
    Noobs

Op, read reviews about the g6 play which is essentially the same thing. That should give you an idea of it's performance. The Supra gives more storage and ram....

Why read reviews of the G6 Play (which is similar, but not exactly the same) when they could be reading reviews of the E5 Plus, which is ACTUALLY WHAT THIS IS.
    There's a write up on one of the Android blogs somewhere actually highlighting the differences between the two models. They might be similar on paper, but they are coming from different directions and decidedly NOT THE SAME. While the G6 Play is designed to be a lower end version of the G6 to save battery life at the cost of performance (what the "Play" models usually mean), the E Plus is the highest end version of their entry level E tier, which means they are throwing in as much as they can on the budget level as opposed to cutting corners on the higher one.
    In the real world, that means the E5 Supra will actually best the G6 Play in specs at things like battery life, screen size, heck even performance (Octo-core Snapdragon 430 with Adreno 505 as opposed to the G6's somewhat trailing quad-core Snapdragon 427, with Adreno 308). The Supra/Plus will also come standard with 3GB RAM, whereas the G6 Play has models that come with 2 standard (3 is optional). On the flip side, the G6 is better built, the E5 Supra I was told feels flimsy in comparison, more bulky plastic as opposed to the G series, which feels more premium. At the end of the day I would not base my opinion off another model with totally different specs, build quality, etc, just because a couple of other very specific specs seem similar. That's just silly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    Why read reviews of the G6 Play (which is similar, but not exactly the same) when they could be reading reviews of the E5 Plus, which is ACTUALLY WHAT THIS IS.
    There's a write up on one of the Android blogs somewhere actually highlighting the differences between the two models. They might be similar on paper, but they are coming from different directions and decidedly NOT THE SAME. While the G6 Play is designed to be a lower end version of the G6 to save battery life at the cost of performance (what the "Play" models usually mean), the E Plus is the highest end version of their entry level E tier, which means they are throwing in as much as they can on the budget level as opposed to cutting corners on the higher one.
    In the real world, that means the E5 Supra will actually best the G6 Play in specs at things like battery life, screen size, heck even performance (Octo-core Snapdragon 430 with Adreno 505 as opposed to the G6's somewhat trailing quad-core Snapdragon 427, with Adreno 308). The Supra/Plus will also come standard with 3GB RAM, whereas the G6 Play has models that come with 2 standard (3 is optional). On the flip side, the G6 is better built, the E5 Supra I was told feels flimsy in comparison, more bulky plastic as opposed to the G series, which feels more premium. At the end of the day I would not base my opinion off another model with totally different specs, build quality, etc, just because a couple of other very specific specs seem similar. That's just silly.
    I guess you didnt read where he said there arent many e5 plus reviews...however there are lots of g6 play reviews.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I guess you didnt read where he said there arent many e5 plus reviews...however there are lots of g6 play reviews.
    I guess you didn't notice that he didn't say that. He said there aren't many e5 Supra reviews (most likely because it hasn't been widely available since launch until now). Rather than saying he should look at e5 plus, which is what the phone really is, you mentioned a different model phone (which BTW does not have the same CPU, despite what you said above). Whatever. OP has his answer at this point.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here's a good writeup of the differences between the two.
    He starts off saying they're evenly matched, then points out all the ways that the E5 Plus is actually BETTER, then says the biggest reason to settle for the G6 Play (despite having a more modest end CPU/GPU/Battery/Display/RAM) is that you can buy it unlocked, instead of getting 1 of the only 2 carrier-only offerings of the E5+.
    Seems like a no brainer, Supra all the way! Unless the Stylo 4 tickles your fancy.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-...s-moto-e5-plus

Feedback Score
    Here's a good writeup of the differences between the two.
    He starts off saying they're evenly matched, then points out all the ways that the E5 Plus is actually BETTER, then says the biggest reason to settle for the G6 Play (despite having a more modest end CPU/GPU/Battery/Display/RAM) is that you can buy it unlocked, instead of getting 1 of the only 2 carrier-only offerings of the E5+.
    Seems like a no brainer, Supra all the way! Unless the Stylo 4 tickles your fancy.

https://www.androidcentral.com/moto-...s-moto-e5-plus
    Moto E5 Supra
    Has anyone bought this phone? im looking for a 200 dollar budget for the girlfriend and this seems like it was just released and has a huge battery.. not many reviews online.

I will now revel in the ownage I just handed out

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I will now revel in the ownage I just handed out
    Note that there was no mention of the E5 Plus. OP said for the Supra. Can't stress this enough: He did not say Plus. There are some reviews for the Plus, but unless you already know a bit about the Moto E series, you wouldn't immediately know that the Supra is the same thing.
    So you responded, look at a DIFFERENT MODEL that has different specs instead of the one it is a variant of! That's all I was getting at.
    There aren't many reviews for the Supra because its a branded name variant. It just launched on cricket last week, and wasn't available online most of that week and only showed up in certain stores and finally online days ago. So yeah, there aren't reviews. But if you look up reviews for the E5 Plus, you'll find some.
    I understand why you recommended looking up the G6 Play, but at the end of the day is is a different phone with different specs, and there is a quite a bit written up about the E5 Plus. How are we still arguing about this?

#canceltherevelparty

Feedback Score
    Note that there was no mention of the E5 Plus. OP said for the Supra. Can't stress this enough: He did not say Plus. There are some reviews for the Plus, but unless you already know a bit about the Moto E series, you wouldn't immediately know that the Supra is the same thing.
    So you responded, look at a DIFFERENT MODEL that has different specs instead of the one it is a variant of! That's all I was getting at.
    There aren't many reviews for the Supra because its a branded name variant. It just launched on cricket last week, and wasn't available online most of that week and only showed up in certain stores and finally online days ago. So yeah, there aren't reviews. But if you look up reviews for the E5 Plus, you'll find some.
    I understand why you recommended looking up the G6 Play, but at the end of the day is is a different phone with different specs, and there is a quite a bit written up about the E5 Plus. How are we still arguing about this?

#canceltherevelparty
    The ownage is real, cant stop the revel.

Feedback Score
    The g6 play runs a s.d. 427 quad core chip with an adreno 308 GPU. the e5 Supra runs a s.d. 435 octa core chip with an adreno 505 GPU. Where the confusion likely comes in is gsm arena lists the e5 plus as having the 427 chip, where crickets website states it's the octa core variant, the octacore variant uses the snapdragon 435.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    The g6 play runs a s.d. 427 quad core chip with an adreno 308 GPU. the e5 Supra runs a s.d. 435 octa core chip with an adreno 505 GPU. Where the confusion likely comes in is gsm arena lists the e5 plus as having the 427 chip, where crickets website states it's the octa core variant, the octacore variant uses the snapdragon 435.
    Interesting that they listed it wrong, wouldn't be the first time they got the specs of a device wrong though. I guess that's why AutoOnion kept recommending he check out THE WRONG PHONE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast