Thread: Time to reevaluate my plans. Would love opinions v. gUDP

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Question Time to reevaluate my plans. Would love opinions v. gUDP

I am still holding on to my gUDP lines (2).

Using a Nationwide Talk and Text 2000 package with grandfathered unlimited. All in after employer discount i'm at $211 a month for two phones. Line 1 typically averages 20-30GB a month and line 2 typically average 5-10GB a month. No tethering (although i could really use it). We're averaging 500-800 mins a month in talk time, and thousands of text messages.

I would LOVE to cut my bill in half, and not have to stress about the data. Also i buy phones used on Swappa to avoid contract renewal, but it does kind of suck to have to shell out $500 a phone every 1-1.5 years and be 2-3 years behind. Being able to take advantage of some of the newer phones would really be great.

Would love some input. What would you do?

Los Angeles or Santa Cruz during the school year
    Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Time to reevaluate my plans. Would love opinions v. gUDP

Quote Originally Posted by SSpiro View Post
    I am still holding on to my gUDP lines (2).

Using a Nationwide Talk and Text 2000 package with grandfathered unlimited. All in after employer discount i'm at $211 a month for two phones. Line 1 typically averages 20-30GB a month and line 2 typically average 5-10GB a month. No tethering (although i could really use it). We're averaging 500-800 mins a month in talk time, and thousands of text messages.

I would LOVE to cut my bill in half, and not have to stress about the data. Also i buy phones used on Swappa to avoid contract renewal, but it does kind of suck to have to shell out $500 a phone every 1-1.5 years and be 2-3 years behind. Being able to take advantage of some of the newer phones would really be great.

Would love some input. What would you do?
    I’d advice you to switch to the New Verizon Unlimited Plan (originally launched last February) It’s a great plan and I love it. Chat with Verizon online and see if they can put you on the New Verizon Unlimited plan. It’s $140 for 2 lines with auto pay and paperless billing ($150 without autopay and paperless billing) any additional lines are $20. With this plan you can get devices and finance them over 24 months at 0 APR they don’t force you to change your plan in order to upgrade on this plan. The plan includes unlimited talk, text, data (subject to deprioritization after 22 GB per line) and 15 GB of high speed hotspot service per line.
    Here are the details per Verizon

If chat can’t get you on this plan you can choose from one of the newer plans here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/

Sent from my Intel iPhone X using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Some people will tell you stay. They have an agenda of keeping people on gUDP even if it means you pay more. You can get 2 lines of Beyond Unlimited each line gets 22 GB before possible deprioritization( and despite what some people say it's not a throttle ) and each line gets 15 GB 4g hotspot/tether then 600 kbps after, for $160 plus taxes/fees. Any hotspot use counts toward the 22 GB limit. So it's not 22 GB plus 15 GB just to be clear.

You could get one line Beyond and 1 line Above for $170 plus taxes/fees. Above is 75 GB before depri and 20 GB hotspot

The cheapest unlimited plan would be 2 Go lines for $130 plus taxes/fees. Subject to possible deprioritization at all times. hotpot limited to 600 kbps max. Video is 480p if that matters.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As Nico details above, The New Verizon Plan Unlimited is your cheapest option; however, Line 1 would become deprioritized after 22 GB/month of usage. If you want its data to be prioritized at all times, you will need to switch to the Mix & Match Unlimited Data Plan, with Line 1 on Above Unlimited and Line 2 on Beyond Unlimited (this would be $170/month with the autopay & paperless billing discount).

Above Unlimited would also give you 5 GB more hotspot data, which would make it pay for itself if you will regularly exceed 15 GB of hotspot data usage on Line 1 (a "data boost" is $35 for 5 GB, but the price difference between plans for you would be $30). Plus you'd get 500 GB of cloud storage and 5 days a month of free overseas roaming.

I guess it depends whether you consider speed or price to be more important.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I still need to factor in the monthly payment for the phones though correct? So if i were to get two new phones, i'm back at my $210 or more a month.

The $140 a month for two lines of Beyond Unlimited - are these plans eligible of employer discounts still? i get 19% off from my employer, which is a huge help.

I've honestly been looking at the Visible program.. Going $40 for unlimited everything out the door per line is extremely attractive, but i need to make sure i can keep my numbers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I still need to factor in the monthly payment for the phones though correct? So if i were to get two new phones, i'm back at my $210 or more a month.
    Correct. DPP is billed at the same time as your service plan.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

The $140 a month for two lines of Beyond Unlimited - are these plans eligible of employer discounts still? i get 19% off from my employer, which is a huge help.

I've honestly been looking at the Visible program.. Going $40 for unlimited everything out the door per line is extremely attractive, but i need to make sure i can keep my numbers.
    Spoke to Verizon Chat - Employer discounts do not apply to the new plans nor DPP's. Just for the record.

Los Angeles or Santa Cruz during the school year
    Device(s)
    AT&T iPhone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

$140 was for the New Verizon Unlimited plan.(Need to get it through customer service (chat reps hand it out more often than phone reps) Beyond is $160 for two lines with paperless billing and autopay. None of the Unlimited plans are eligible for employer discounts except for the military discount. You need to factor in phone payments for each of these plans. If you want lower phone payments you can buy them at full retail price or put a down payment down in order to lower your monthly payments.

Sent from my Intel iPhone X using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, Beyond’s only value is that you can have it on the same plan as Above. Otherwise, Beyond Unlimited is just The New Verizon Plan Unlimited with a markup.

(Oh and Beyond now gets a better military discount than TNVPU, as long as your monthly service plan subtotal is under $266.)

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    First attempt at the New Verizon Unlimited Plan was a failure. They claim the plans were killed due to the new plans launching a few weeks ago.

I'll have to try again. It's the difference between $140 and $170, which is too big of a difference. They tried to push me to the Go plan. Ugh

Any tips to get them to bite?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Any tips to get them to bite?
    When you're in the automated system, tell it that you want to cancel your service. It will send your call to Retentions, which has more authority than standard customer service to give people special deals. Tell them that you're going to have to eventually cancel your service and go to T-Mobile if they don't apply plan code 96328 to the account.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    When you're in the automated system, tell it that you want to cancel your service. It will send your call to Retentions, which has more authority than standard customer service to give people special deals. Tell them that you're going to have to eventually cancel your service and go to T-Mobile if they don't apply plan code 96328 to the account.
    AHHA! Got it. THANK YOU! I'll wait 30 and try again. You are the BEST

Any tips to get the maximum discounts on trade-in promo's and discounts as well, since we're on the topic? The Pixel 2 XL shows $200 off, and my iPhone 6s Plus 64 shows a trade-in value with that phone for $300. But the person i spoke with said since its not a business account i only qualify for $300 off $849, but not both promos. Any of this make sense? I told them it sounded like BS.
    Last edited by SSpiro; 07-02-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Okay, this is complete. Thanks so much for all the help.The $70+ a month savings will definitely help.

For the record, the code was 98127..96328 is New Verizon Data 8GB plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Okay, this is complete. Thanks so much for all the help.The $70+ a month savings will definitely help.

For the record, the code was 98127..96328 is New Verizon Data 8GB plan.
    They just did it today? That’s good to hear, I thought they might’ve closed the loophole finally.