Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No AT&T roaming? (Service Interruption Question)

Feedback Score

No AT&T roaming? (Service Interruption Question)

I have a business variant of T-Mobile One, and have had it for over a year. I rely on the data roaming onto AT&T to fill in all the holes that T-Mobile's Band 12 doesn't take care of.

The data plan is slow AT&T of an "unlimited" quantity: there is NO 200mb cap.

But for the past few days, the roaming onto AT&T is GONE. Nothing. I can set my Pixel 2 to specifically connect to AT&T in the mobile data menu, and it doesn't work.

I called TMO support, and was told that there is absolutely no personal account reason to prevent this, and he did not know of any T-Mobile network glitch. The outage map shows no AT&T outage.

So, what is going on? How can I troubleshoot this further?

Feedback Score

No AT&T roaming? (Service Interruption Question)

I have the T4B T-Mobile One Plan.
    Is this the same plan you have?
    Should I be seeing AT&T Roaming on my iPhone in dead spots?
    I assumed I have the same plan all other T-Mobile users have even though it is a business plan.

The T-Mobile coverage has been phenomenal.
    I keep wondering why Sensorly always opens defaulted to AT&T. And the thought has crossed my mind that AT&T roaming might be in effect at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I have a business variant of T-Mobile One, and have had it for over a year. I rely on the data roaming onto AT&T to fill in all the holes that T-Mobile's Band 12 doesn't take care of.

The data plan is slow AT&T of an "unlimited" quantity: there is NO 200mb cap.

But for the past few days, the roaming onto AT&T is GONE. Nothing. I can set my Pixel 2 to specifically connect to AT&T in the mobile data menu, and it doesn't work.
    Roaming on AT&T is only permitted in certain geographical areas by T-Mobile.

So based on what you described, it sounds like T-Mobile may have started restricting access to roaming on AT&T in that area. Perhaps they feel that band 12 covers that area (even though you have holes in the band 12) and enough people have band 12 devices in your area, that they can save money by cutting the roaming access.

If it doesn't come back up soon, you may need to switch to AT&T or an AT&T MVNO to get back that coverage.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Interesting. It was noticed in other areas of the country. Some in the reddit thread speculate that it is related to the 7 year roaming agreement that came with the failure of the AT&T/T-Mobile merger in August 2011.

Per the law, AT&T is required to allow T-Mobile roaming at commercial reasonable rates even without that roaming agreement. I don't think I ever saw what the 7 year roaming agreement entailed----whether they got lower rates than would be typical for example. But that may be why they're shutting it down in some places.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    ... If it doesn't come back up soon, you may need to switch to AT&T or an AT&T MVNO to get back that coverage.
    I'm making plans to do that right now, probably in the next couple of days. It it looks like it will only cost maybe $15 more a month.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It might be interesting to know where this is happening. T-Mobile restricts AT&T roaming by LACs and is quick to block any LAC as soon as they install service anywhere in or near the LAC. It could be that they upgraded some coverage nearby and turned off access to that LAC. The objective seems to be to provide an acceptable looking coverage map, rather than providing actual service.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I just got a straight answer from the Traverse City T-Mobile store.

they did shut off all AT & T roaming in the entire area because they are supposed to have Band 71 here in a few weeks.

They assume that everyone has a band 71 phone NOW on T-Mobile because that's all they sell in the store currently. Really, that's what I was told.

And apparently they have no problem with cutting off the roaming during a period that is supposed to be about 1 month before the Traverse City and Northwestern lower Michigan area actually gets band 71... Leaving people high and dry.

Feedback Score
    Do you have a great deal on a plan or something? Only reason I ask is if you have reliance on throttled at&t data for phone service, it may be worth it to just switch to either at&t, at&t prepaid, or even cricket wireless if the 8 or 3mbps throttle doesn't bother you. Instead of paying for 2 service (TMobile as a main line and an at&t or at&t mvno as a secondary line) it may just be better to go with an at&t provider right now and in the future if band 71 does fill in those areas where you were reliant on at&t roaming switch back to tmobile. If you have a great plan deal though and don't want to lose it then maybe carrying 2 services would make sense, but if not, and TMobile doesn't meet your coverage needs and at&t does it's almost a no brainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skylar_G View Post
    Do you have a great deal on a plan or something? Only reason I ask is if you have reliance on throttled at&t data for phone service, it may be worth it to just switch to either at&t, at&t prepaid, or even cricket wireless if the 8 or 3mbps throttle doesn't bother you. Instead of paying for 2 service (TMobile as a main line and an at&t or at&t mvno as a secondary line) it may just be better to go with an at&t provider right now and in the future if band 71 does fill in those areas where you were reliant on at&t roaming switch back to tmobile. If you have a great plan deal though and don't want to lose it then maybe carrying 2 services would make sense, but if not, and TMobile doesn't meet your coverage needs and at&t does it's almost a no brainer.
    I had a good deal on a plan which included unlimited AT & T roaming. That is formerly included!

Going with AT & T until recently would have cost like 70% more than the T-Mobile plan.

Now AT & T has all those channels they are giving away which makes it a lot more economical and tempting.

On top of that, Verizon is now offering me $300 to switch 2 lines.

I think T-Mobile should have ended the AT & T roaming after they put on band 71, instead of before! They've lost a customer, and to be frank, an area T-Mobile booster.

Skylar, it's great to see you and Jet actually come to agreement on a subject :-) even if it's not the one you're arguing about involving how many POPs can dance on the head of a pin. Haha.

Anyway as a soon-to-be former T-Mobile customer I will still support the merger no less. I think the merger is on the balance good for current T-Mobile customers, potential future or returning T-Mobile customers. And customers of Verizon and AT & T who will face stiffer competition from the new merged company.

Feedback Score
    I had a good deal on a plan which included unlimited AT & T roaming. That is formerly included!

Going with AT & T until recently would have cost like 70% more than the T-Mobile plan.

Now AT & T has all those channels they are giving away which makes it a lot more economical and tempting.

I think T-Mobile should have ended the AT & T roaming after they put on band 71, instead of before! They've lost a customer, and to be frank, an area T-Mobile booster.
    TMobile should end the at&t roaming only if their band 71 coverage matches the coverage people were getting in the area they needed the roaming in. Especially for business accounts. If the band 71 coverage doesn't cover the area where roaming did completely, I can see some people being ticked, again especially business customers.

As far as the merger, was never my intention to try to sway people one way or another on it, people can feel however they want about the merger, if it gets approved I hope TMobile keeps every promise they made. My intention was to point out contradictions in their statements pre and post merger announcement, but, like so many conversations here it got flipped into something else and instead of trying to debate if what I was saying was true or not, it turned into what my reasons for saying it was. I never get that debate. The reasons for pointing something out are irrelevant, doesn't matter who or why someone brings up something, it matters if there is any truth behind it.

Hopefully everything works out with your new carrier.

Feedback Score
    Now I lean toward Verizon. Hoping against hope that they turn on the roaming tomorrow. and keep it on until I can get a Band-17 friendly Pixel 3 (perhaps a mythical beast!) in October.

Feedback Score

Skylar, it's great to see you and Jet actually come to agreement on a subject :-) even if it's not the one you're arguing about involving how many POPs can dance on the head of a pin. Haha.

Anyway as a soon-to-be former T-Mobile customer I will still support the merger no less. I think the merger is on the balance good for current T-Mobile customers, potential future or returning T-Mobile customers. And customers of Verizon and AT & T who will face stiffer competition from the new merged company.

This garbage is why any serious business doesn't use T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by james4209 View Post
    This garbage is why any serious business doesn't use T-Mobile.
    Yeah, the "We'll shut you off, and give the coverage back in a month or so but only IF you buy a brand new phone" thing is problematic.

As if even the local pizza joint says "Yeah, we'll take a month off. making pies is hard work!"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting to see if Band 71 will be all it’s cracked up to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast