Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Voicemail Bricked

Feedback Score

Virtual Voicemail Bricked

It looks like Cricket's VVM has gone from spotty to inoperable for Android. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar non Cricket app?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phroberts View Post
    It looks like Cricket's VVM has gone from spotty to inoperable for Android. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar non Cricket app?
    I thought it was my phone. I just ported back in and it says no connectivity. Kind of need this to work. Never previously had any issues.

Feedback Score
    Weird. I also noticed this over the weekend...I got a voicemail notification thru the network and phone but nothing shows up when I go to the Cricket VVM app. S8 on Oreo.

It worked very reliably on my S6 for years

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    I ported to Google Voice and just use my carrier number as a burner
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Mine appears to still be working, but I have automatic updating turned off so who knows how old the version I'm running actually is anymore.

Just found it... 3.2.0.011142

Feedback Score
    I think it's a pretty wide spread problem... Lots of reviews about it going totally bad after the last update on 6/29. For the last month or so it's been acting wonky. Slow response to tapping the speaker or play button, stopping during playback, etc.

Feedback Score
    It makes baby Jesus cry that we still have to rely on carrier designed apps for visual voice mail as opposed to something at the OS level, similar to iOS.

Feedback Score
    Not an app - but you could sign up for a free Google Voice number and use that number as your voicemail number. You will get voicemails pushed to email.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Benefit of the above is when you change carriers, your voice mails don't get lost. In addition, much larger storage capacity.

Conditional call forwarding required, which cricket does support.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ^ mentioned that already in post #4. Although, I like doing it the other way around- port my number to Google Voice so that you get the full benefit of cloud telephony, instead of just using it for visual VM.
    All my texts/MMS are in the cloud, and can be accessed not only from my computer as well as my phone, but even additional phones (when I was trying out different carriers, I actually had 3 phones at one point which were all operating as my phone number, all having my SMS in sync, etc). Your number and critical services aren't held hostage by the carrier, which I like for reasons exactly like this one.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Ditto. Best solution yet. Do you even know your cricket #? I just know the area code.

Feedback Score
    For Android YouMail. I use it with Cricket no issues.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^Ditto. Best solution yet. Do you even know your cricket #? I just know the area code.
    LOL- same here. I'd probably recognize it if I saw it (I have to look it up everytime I speak with customer service), but otherwise no. And I've switched it at least 2-3x over the last couple of years (promo to get a new phone, let the old service and burner number expire).

I love how it integrates seamlessly into the dialer so everything comes only to/from your Google number, as if it were the actual number all along. The only catch is that you have to remember to use the Voice app or Hangouts to handle your SMS/MMS, because the stock messaging app will send from your carrier number and confuse everyone. I really miss the days when Hangouts could get around this by supporting both carrier SMS and Google Voice SMS, and you could set one to be the default within the app. That was a truly seamless experience, you'd never even know you weren't using the carrier. I set this up for my wife's phone years back, and it was great until Hangouts stopped supporting SMS- she didn't know or care how it worked, it just magically did. There were a couple of awkward months after that in which she had to learn to differentiate between carrier SMS and her Google number before sending a message (she used to click a missed call on the call log and just press the msg icon to tell them she'd call them back- and she'd always get confused "who's this?" replies). But she's gotten used to it now.

I know Google's overhauling their whole message ecosystem, so I really hope they work this out in the near future so that GV and SMS can be integrated as default again. Anyway, going waaay off topic here... What were we saying? Right. Google Voice. Just use your carrier as a dumb pipe to offer internet and voice calls, and keep your number in the cloud. Then you never have to deal with issues like this. I frequently see threads about people having issues with MMS, or Voicemail, or VM being upgraded and losing messages, etc, and I'm always happy I don't use any of that on Cricket. Makes you feel like you've discovered a way to cheat the system on a budget carrier.

Feedback Score
    I just tried Visual VM since it's been a while since I've gotten a message. It still works fine and the app is updated.

Feedback Score
    I deleted my Cricket VVM and reinstalled it. It picked up a voicemail that it missed a few days ago and played it. I haven't gotten any new VMs since. I guess I need to call my phone and test it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast