Thread: NEXUS 6 Qi charging with phone powered off?

Feedback Score

NEXUS 6 Qi charging with phone powered off?

I woke up this morning to a NEXUS 6 that had stopped charging over a microUSB cable sometime overnight.

With the stock Motorola charger plugged in, it will not charge.
    The battery has continued to drain. I can barely start it now without it shutting down.
    The battery is down at about 15%

I want to stop by a local retail outlet and buy a Qi charger to see if the handset will charge that way.
    I have never tried Qi charging when the handset is off. Does anyone know if this is possible?
    Does the handset need to be powered on to interface with a Qi charger?

Thanks
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by enufwireless View Post
    I woke up this morning to a NEXUS 6 that had stopped charging over a microUSB cable sometime overnight.

With the stock Motorola charger plugged in, it will not charge.
    The battery has continued to drain. I can barely start it now without it shutting down.
    The battery is down at about 15%

I want to stop by a local retail outlet and buy a Qi charger to see if the handset will charge that way.
    I have never tried Qi charging when the handset is off. Does anyone know if this is possible?
    Does the handset need to be powered on to interface with a Qi charger?

Thanks

here's a Nexus 6 being wireless charge from a Ravpower Model RP-PC034, it's an older model

Feedback Score
    Thanks!
    I went down to the nearest Best Buy and bought an Insignia Qi wireless charger for only $17 on clearance.
    The handset charges OK by Qi.

So that indicates the USB connector is broken inside the handset.
    I found a few ads on eBay for shops that will repair. This works well for me as there are no cellphone repair shops where I am. I will ship it to them for repair. And have the battery swapped out while I'm at it. Still cheaper than buying a new phone. This one is 4 years old. Other than this USB issue and a tired battery, this has no problems so I'll keep using it until a new handset is launched that is worth replacing this for.

The handset will not charge wirelessly when the handset is off.
    if I set the handset on the charger when the handset is off, the handset turns itself on presumably to manage the wireless charging session.

Wireless charging seems to take longer to charge the handset to 100% with the QC2.0 wall charger included with the charging pad as compared to a QC2.0 charger connected directly to the USB port.

73s
    Last edited by enufwireless; 07-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by enufwireless View Post

The handset will not charge wirelessly when the handset is off.
    if I set the handset on the charger when the handset is off, the handset turns itself on presumably to manage the wireless charging session.

Wireless charging seems to take longer to charge the handset to 100% with the QC2.0 wall charger included with the charging pad as compared to a QC2.0 charger connected directly to the USB port.

73s
    QSL that, I think it's the nature of wireless charging that the device has to be on in order to sense the charging rate and from orange or red to green when its done, unlike the last two iPhone's wireless charging, there's no sensing mechanism to turn the green light on the charging pad

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    VerizonPP, Red Pocket AT&V
    Feedback Score
    Wireless charging is slower than through the USB jack. Has been on all the Samsung's I've had.

Feedback Score
    I am finding my Qi charging is faster than the USB but suspect the reason this is so is I believe the USB had lost connection to some of the higher Quickcharge voltages before the USB finally gave out all together.