Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid Plan for Kids around $20/mo?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score

Prepaid Plan for Kids around $20/mo?

Hi All,

Looking to get my daughter her first phone plan. She will definitely not be using much minutes, and as she is mostly using the phone at home (and via wifi) there would not be a need for huge data plans.

Can anybody recommend me a plan that has the following (I am sorry, I have been on the same tmobile plan for many years, I have no idea what is going on currently with all these MVNOs)

-She has a Verizon iPhone 6S, so anything VZ compatible or GSM compatible
    -Talk/Text (does not need to be unlimited)
    -about 2gb Data- If it is throttled after 2gb that would be preferred
    -About $20/mo (I saw Unreal mobile, and her phone is not compatible!)

Thank you all in advance!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
    Hi All,

Looking to get my daughter her first phone plan. She will definitely not be using much minutes, and as she is mostly using the phone at home (and via wifi) there would not be a need for huge data plans.

Can anybody recommend me a plan that has the following (I am sorry, I have been on the same tmobile plan for many years, I have no idea what is going on currently with all these MVNOs)

Try Mint Mobile. AKA Mint Sim. There’s a 15.00 per month plan if you pay in advance by 1 year unlimited T&T. 2GB data per month

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Get her Red Pocket annual plan for $5 per month on Ebay . ($60) They have higher plans for more dollars.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Get her Red Pocket annual plan for $5 per month on Ebay . ($60) They have higher plans for more dollars.
    Is that for ATT or VERIZON?

Sent from the X

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker5011 View Post
    Is that for ATT or VERIZON?
    Yes. Or T-Mobile. Or Sprint.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    That's for 100 minutes and texts and 500MB data per month. I don't think that will be enough. I second the recommendation for Mint.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    That's for 100 minutes and texts and 500MB data per month. I don't think that will be enough. I second the recommendation for Mint.
    Yes that's the least expensive, but for a few dollars more then can get 500 mins & 500 texts for $8 per month. With an iphone they will most likely use imessage to supplement sms texts which use a miniscule amount of data. If they need more than 2gb data and more than 500 talk/text then the kid is using too much phone privilege, IMO.

Feedback Score
    Yes that's the least expensive, but for a few dollars more then can get 500 mins & 500 texts for $8 per month. With an iphone they will most likely use imessage to supplement sms texts which use a miniscule amount of data. If they need more than 2gb data and more than 500 talk/text then the kid is using too much phone privilege, IMO.
    How about the Free Year of Sprint deal? Also do you or her have Comcast Home Internet? If so I would suggest you check out Xfinity Mobile. But like another user also suggested, I would definitely recommend you check out Mint Mobile. Do you or her also maybe qualify for a free or reduced price government phone program? TIA Ron

Sent from my LG-H932 using HoFo mobile app
    To Be The Best Ya Gotta Be Smarter Than The Rest! My Time, Talent, & Treasure! : “Your talent is God’s gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.” Leo Buscaglia : “With God, all things are POSSIBLE.” Mark 10:27

Feedback Score
    Just get her text and talk, like the $25 plan from TotalWireless. Data, especially when away at school is a distraction and will impact her learning, and even attention span.
    We are battling that addiction now, literally. At least at home you can impose phone usage time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto G5+, Blu R1HD, Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Lycamobile, Red Pocket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket $20/mo unlimited TT, 3GB LTE Data. Att, T-MOBILE, Verizon, or Sprint, your choice. Or 500/500/500 for $99/yr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >How about the Free Year of Sprint deal?

Bad idea to give unlimited anything to a kid. She'll develop wasteful habits, and will resent you when you cut back on her unlimited toys. You'd end up with an uneviable situation where you have to spend money for her, and be hated for it.
    Well it's only a 10 GB limit & OP can put a limit on data thru phone settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
    Hi All,

An unlocked Verizon iPhone 6s is compatible with all 4 U.S. carriers and therefore should be compatible with Unreal Mobile, which runs on the Sprint network.

As others have pointed out, Mint Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) offers unlimited talk/text and 2GB LTE data (throttled to 2G speed after 2GB) for $15/month if paying for 3 months or 12 months in advance.

Speedtalk Mobile (also T-Mobile) offers unlimited talk/text and 2GB LTE data (throttled afterwards) for $18 per 30 days without having to pay in advance like Mint.

Red Pocket Mobile on eBay also offers unlimited talk/text/2GB LTE data (throttled after 2GB) for $20.75/month but you have to pay whole year in advance. However, you can choose any of the four underlying networks: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If AT&T or Sprint will work, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...-/132544686405 is $20/30 days, paid $240/360days, for unlimited everything, with 5GB LTE. MOST RP plans are good for all 4 US networks, but this one, with it's unusually generous data offering, is AT&T or Sprint only.

The eBay plans go on sale periodically, and there are also 15% and 20% off eBay coupons available from time to time, so if you can wait, you will probably be able to get it for less..

Feedback Score

One thing to keep in mind when using iPhone on Red Pocket AT&T: MMS messages do not work (Android phones are fine though).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QkTreasures View Post
    Well it's only a 10 GB limit & OP can put a limit on data thru phone settings.

10 GB limit is only for hotspot. Sprint says they MAY deprioritize once you reach 22 GB in a month if there is congestion in the area.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast