Thread: 3 month PAYG: will it expire without usage?

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score

3 month PAYG: will it expire without usage?

i'm assuming if you pay for the 3 months for 10 bucks that you never have to use the phone and it will be there for emergency usage but i wanted to make sure. its not clear in the t/c except just says if your balance is zero for 30 days they turn you off.

the goal here is have a phone thats there if its really needed but possibly couldnt be used for months on end

Feedback Score
    To be safe send a text message every 3 months and make a call. This is what i do, this is not an "official" recommendation.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    You do not have to use the phone, just add another $10 every 90 days. Also, the service time stacks, so that if you added 2 $10 PINs the same day, the expiration gets pushed-out 180 days. You can do this up to 360 days, max.

I have an account that I almost never use, but I hate to lose the built-up balance, so I just keep adding $10. If I ever decide to discontinue the line, I will probably convert it to a monthly plan, to use up the balance.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I messed up once, forgetting to pay in time, losing about $19 in credit. I'm on autopay now, with a $15.77 balance. Working fine for my "home phone" usage, which essentially consists of listening to some voicemails from either my lawn care company, and some collectors (for previous owner of number). I sure don't miss the endless robocalls my old home phone were getting from scammers and political calls.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Lycamobile, Red Pocket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    It expires after 90 days. If you add a $10 top up before the 90 days are up it extends the expiration date to 90 days beyond your current expiration date. No usage required, just the top up. And the existing balance rolls over. $40/yr to keep it active. But any data use is $$$ and will use up your balance quickly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I have an account that I almost never use, but I hate to lose the built-up balance, so I just keep adding $10. If I ever decide to discontinue the line, I will probably convert it to a monthly plan, to use up the balance.
    While you certainly can convert to a monthly plan, cash balance from PAYG cannot be transferred over. I chatted with 2 representatives at different times and each affirmed that's their company policy. It is a drawback from H2o Wireless, if you seldom use mobile service and build up a large balance over time.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ft2010 View Post
    While you certainly can convert to a monthly plan, cash balance from PAYG cannot be transferred over. I chatted with 2 representatives at different times and each affirmed that's their company policy. It is a drawback from H2o Wireless, if you seldom use mobile service and build up a large balance over time.
    Thanks for the warning. I guess I can just use up the balance with data (10c per MB). That won't take long!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, Moto X4, Moto G5 Plus, Blu R1HD, several flip phones
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Lycamobile, Red Pocket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    For a true emergency phone I'm under the impression that ANY phone will dial 911, regardless of activation state or plan.

Device(s)
    LG Volt, LG clamshell,
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus,T-Mo prepaid,Truphone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colecaz View Post
    For a true emergency phone I'm under the impression that ANY phone will dial 911, regardless of activation state or plan.
    Yes, I had to try that and it worked.