Thread: Can anyone recommend a at least single small room cell amplifier for VoLTE?

Feedback Score

Can anyone recommend a at least single small room cell amplifier for VoLTE?

I was considering running a LTE network extender over a AT&T hotspot but AT&T doesn't get a good signal there either so it only runs at about 1.2Mbps. So even though I only need VoLTE working i'm not sure that would work.

I'm assuming a amplifier will be more expensive but I don't have any experience with them.

I can't just switch carriers as no carrier has good coverage there, there are no visible cell towers in any direction I don't know how it gets any service at all.

I need service primarily in the living room although whole house would be prefered I doubt I could afford it.

The ones google recommends are like $700-$800 i'm rather hoping for something a lot cheaper but I don't think i'm going to find it.

Feedback Score
    Not sure how a Verizon LTE Network extender would work on a at&t hotspot

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Not sure how a Verizon LTE Network extender would work on a at&t hotspot
    A femtocell network extender uses the Internet to substitute for cell signal. If Verizon offers femtocell network extenders, they probably don't care what the source of the Internet is.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking the 1.2Mbps could be a problem tho. There isn't actual broadband available. A WISP may be available but to get a high enough plan for the minimum official specs verizon wants would be $100/mo making it unreasonable even compared to a very nice cell amplifier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    I was considering running a LTE network extender over a AT&T hotspot but AT&T doesn't get a good signal there either so it only runs at about 1.2Mbps. So even though I only need VoLTE working i'm not sure that would work....
    1.2 Mbps is an indication of a low signal problem. More info is needed to tell if an amplifier will help enough to be worth the cost.

Take a look in the hotspot management interface and see what kind of signal you are getting (HSPA, HSPAP, LTE) and what is the signal level. Is the signal level better outside? A signal level of about -107 dBm or less is going to have poor performance. -100 to -105 should be ok if not great.

What model of hotspot do you have? If it can have an external antenna connected that may be enough. An external antenna placed in the best window of the house for signal might be enough.

Feedback Score
    I need a amplifier for verizon's LTE so I can get stable VoLTE. I mean If I had an amplifier for the AT&T hotspot I might be able to get up to the minimum speeds to run an extender but at that point i'd already be running a expensive amplifier so it would just be adding extra steps and expensive parts.

Prior to using the AT&T unite explore I was attempting to use a verizon T1114 which was able to do better speeds but was highly unstable from moment to moment with very slow upload speeds so I think the tower is having trouble hearing my devices as I can get 10Mbps+ down but less than 0.4Mbps up.

I don't have any dBm or SNR numbers at the moment but the signal is low with 1-2 bars fluctuating.

The AT&T unite explore is already placed in a window with a Netgear 6000450 antena attached that's how I was able to get a mostly stable 1.2Mbps out of it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Use WIFI Calling?

Connect your phone to the ATT hotspot in the window and then turn on WIFI calling which provides a VoLTE experience. As long as you're connected to the hotspot, the call quality should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pimetech View Post
    Use WIFI Calling?

Connect your phone to the ATT hotspot in the window and then turn on WIFI calling which provides a VoLTE experience. As long as you're connected to the hotspot, the call quality should be fine.
    1.2 Mbps indicates poor signal. Packet loss, jitter and fluctuating speed frequently go along with poor signal.

I know when I connect my Obi ATA to my hotspot it does not work well all of the time.

Worth a try though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    I need a amplifier for verizon's LTE so I can get stable VoLTE. I mean If I had an amplifier for the AT&T hotspot I might be able to get up to the minimum speeds to run an extender but at that point i'd already be running a expensive amplifier so it would just be adding extra steps and expensive parts.

Prior to using the AT&T unite explore I was attempting to use a verizon T1114 which was able to do better speeds but was highly unstable from moment to moment with very slow upload speeds so I think the tower is having trouble hearing my devices as I can get 10Mbps+ down but less than 0.4Mbps up.

I don't have any dBm or SNR numbers at the moment but the signal is low with 1-2 bars fluctuating.

The AT&T unite explore is already placed in a window with a Netgear 6000450 antena attached that's how I was able to get a mostly stable 1.2Mbps out of it.
    Have you tried doing a factory restore
    On the AT&T unite explore ?? That
    Might help with the issues your having.

Feedback Score
    I can't use wifi calling as I require call recording which for reasons I still do not fully understand doesn't work with wifi calling.
    Otherwise that's exactly what I would do.

Feedback Score
    It runs an amazon echo and it's calling and streaming functions well but that's pretty much the limits of it's available bandwidth.
    I'm sure wifi calling would work but I can't use it without breaking call recording so I have to use some other way to get a signal.

Feedback Score
    Nah it's not the hotspot it's a crap area nothing works decent there. I think it's mostly because no carrier has a tower with line of sight.