View Poll Results: Has Fido recently changed the price plan while you are under contract?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
  • I'm not sure, but I'll check.

0 0%

Thread: Fido changing plans while under contract

Device(s)
    t616, r520
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Fido changing plans while under contract

Hi Folks,

I wanted to inquire if anyone here is aware that Fido is changing the terms of their customers under contract?

Fido without notice or communication has increased the base cost of my plan, while I'm still under contract for another year. My grandfathered plan under contract is more than a few years old - it has $50/mo for my unlimited calling, and another $50/mo for unlimited data. I renewed under contract so my plan would be locked in and remain the same.

Normally any changes to my account result in an email notification from Fido. Normally additions of subsidies and credits have generated emails in the past. No such email was received. No text message was received. There was nothing on my bill for the preceding 3 months.

Instead, my June 21st bill reflects a base cost of a plan is now $55, increased $5/mo. In an attempt to call it an accounting presentation issue, they have added a cryptic $5 credit, per month. Fido would not guarantee they wouldn't raise my plan $5 a month every month, and at time of renewal my Plan would be $100/mo, instead of $50.

The effect this ends up increasing my base plan significantly, potentially at renewal. I could not, do the same, and decide I wanted to make my plan $40/month, and introduce a new $10 "anti-credit" so at renewal, my plan would be $40.

My understanding of contract law is an agreement consists of its' details, line items. In this case, it is a specific plan, at a specific price. When those line items are changed, removed, or added, it is a potential material breach of the contract, because at renewal there is a significant change to it at the end of the contract.

This seems wrong and against both the spirit and the letter of the law and wireless code.I am seeking advice on how else I may bring light to this unacceptable practice, or how I may become better prepared.

I plan on speaking with the media if it remains a concern in my mind (open to ideas/suggestions), HoFo has been a part of my life on and off for a long time, and with Fido for almost 20 years.

Feedback Score
    Start with a complaint with CCTS. It's free and easy to do. Evaluate your options after that.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Hello there Slush!

Gabrielle here from Fido.

It is true that some of our grandfathered plans were impacted by a $5 increase, and a bill notice was issued on one of the invoices between April and June to inform impacted customers.

That being said, if you are still under an agreement, you should see a $5 discount as well as we understand that our customers who signed up for an agreement do expect the same pricing in regards to their monthly service.

If the discount did not show up on your bill, you need to contact us so we can correct the situation as quickly as possible. Hope this clarifies!

Device(s)
    t616, r520
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fido Solutions View Post
    Hello there Slush!

Gabrielle here from Fido.

It is true that some of our grandfathered plans were impacted by a $5 increase, and a bill notice was issued on one of the invoices between April and June to inform impacted customers.

That being said, if you are still under an agreement, you should see a $5 discount as well as we understand that our customers who signed up for an agreement do expect the same pricing in regards to their monthly service.

If the discount did not show up on your bill, you need to contact us so we can correct the situation as quickly as possible. Hope this clarifies!

Hi Gabrielle,

My lawyer has reviewed my preceding bills, there is no mention of an increase, outside of the legality of changing a bill under contract.

You have also missed the key point of my message. There's nothing stopping Fido from increasing every single month, to pop and force me off a plan at the end of my contract, as well as lack of any real communication. Neither are acceptable or honorable business practices.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slush View Post
    Neither are acceptable or honorable business practices.
    Maybe, but if it’s legal..

Sent from my iPhone X on TELUS’ network using HoFo Mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slush View Post
    Hi Gabrielle,

My lawyer has reviewed my preceding bills, there is no mention of an increase, outside of the legality of changing a bill under contract.

You have also missed the key point of my message. There's nothing stopping Fido from increasing every single month, to pop and force me off a plan at the end of my contract, as well as lack of any real communication. Neither are acceptable or honorable business practices.
    When dealing with a large company, in particular a Canadian telecom, acceptable and honourable business practices are niceties that are not often afforded. If there's no bill notice, and bear in mind it's well camouflaged in the hopes the price increase won't be noticed, it may be because they've determined the credit offset means there's been no material change to the agreement.

Feedback Score
    Hello Slush

I understand the disappointment, however you should have been made aware on your bill. If that's not the case, please reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter and mention this thread so we can take a look at your account together.

- Gabrielle

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S4, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    I don't even have a contract, and they'd not changed anything. I'm on a grandfathered 3 GB for $15 per month data-only plan. I've had this plan on two lines for over 3 years now, and it has never been under contract. Nonetheless, this plan has not been changed in the least since I joined up.

If that helps.