Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Convince My 70 Year Old Sister Tp Switch To A Smartphone

Feedback Score

Help Me Convince My 70 Year Old Sister Tp Switch To A Smartphone

My oldest sister just turned 70 years old a week ago. She has never even owned a computer. She has an LG 441G on Net10 AT&T side of the house.). She only uses it for voice and does not text. I would like to convince her to switch to a smartphone. I know that there are very inexpensive, even free, smartphones, if you have a plan, with Net10. It looks like their least expensive plan is about $35 per month.

Anyway, I am looking for advice here. My sister stated that she is NOT necessarily brand loyal to Net10. So, with that in mind, can anybody recommend an MVNO, preferably on AT&T or Verizon, that is very reasonably priced, has unlimited talk & text, and either no data or very low amount of data.

My family and I are on Total Wireless and have 4 lines, which I believe is the maximum on their family plan. Anyway, let's hear it, what prepaid plan would people here suggest?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How many minutes does she use a month ? If not much she can do pay as you go on h20 or page plus

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think crickets plan w unlimited talk and text is $25 (runs at&t)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cell_Phone33 View Post
    I think crickets plan w unlimited talk and text is $25 (runs at&t)

That is with no data. With 2 GB data it is $30. There are no taxes and fees added to the plan price.

Feedback Score
    She could do a single line on total wireless talk and text for $23.70 with autopay. Pay a one off $10 for 5gb of data and it rolls over indefinitely if she wants to try out data.

For someone new to smartphones an iphone is probably best. Total have some cheap ones - iphone SE for $139 or a 6 for $179. CODE TW40OFF still works for 40% off if you buy with the first month plan. So really cheap like $83.40+ tax for the SE.

Just buy her one as a gift and tell her that if she hates it she can go back to her old ways.

But really do you need to convince her to switch?? I don't think a 70 year old needs a smartphone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    ....I would like to convince her to switch to a smartphone....
    Why?

10char
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 12.15.18

Feedback Score

Help Me Convince My 70 Year Old Sister To Switch To A Smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by jb82 View Post
    She could do a single line on total wireless talk and text for $23.70 with autopay. Pay a one off $10 for 5gb of data and it rolls over indefinitely if she wants to try out data.

For someone new to smartphones an iphone is probably best. Total have some cheap ones - iphone SE for $139 or a 6 for $179. CODE TW40OFF still works for 40% off if you buy with the first month plan. So really cheap like $83.40+ tax for the SE.

Just buy her one as a gift and tell her that if she hates it she can go back to her old ways.

But really do you need to convince her to switch?? I don't think a 70 year old needs a smartphone.
    Thanks for that. Ironically, I just happened to look at that and then saw that you had posted the same thing.

I actually have an old Verizon phone that she can have.

As far as why, I think having a device that can be used for mapping, photographs, etc. is huge. I will see how this goes, though.

I did connect her flip phone, via Bluetooth, to her car. She did like that, though!

Feedback Score
    For someone not into computers I think they might like the talking assistants.

I use "ok google" and alexa on android. You can also use Cortana on android but I have not tried that.

Even something as simple as asking how to spell a word can be very useful.

If she is going to use maps talking makes it easier. You can say "Navigate to Taco Bell" and google maps will automatically direct you to the nearest taco bell.

Feedback Score
    ....I did connect her flip phone, via Bluetooth, to her car. She did like that, though!
    Fantastic!

....As far as why, I think having a device that can be used for mapping, photographs, etc. is huge. I will see how this goes, though....
    Does she feel these things are important enough to learn about them? And you're ok with being her tech support?

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I actually have an old Verizon phone that she can have.
    Depending on age of phone, it may be getting difficult to activate it if it doesn't support VoLTE.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I didn't see where you described her usage when it was asked above, but would https://www.hsn.com/products/lg-rebe...testex/8705462 work? It's a brand new phone for TF that comes with with 1 year of service and 1,500 minutes, 1,500 texts, and 1,500MB.

It's $49.95 as of right now. It does currently say "Today's Special 2", so I don't know how long that price will last.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I had been after my wife to convince her sister, who lives in Ukraine, to get a smartphone and replace her flip phone. When she finally did, that opened up a whole new world to the two sisters. Whereas before they would only talk a few minutes each month, now they are constantly texting back and forth on Viber, sending pictures of foods they are cooking, cats...and generally sharing life a lot better than before. And every couple of days they hit the phone botton on the app and talk (free) for an hour.

This only happened when sis got a smartphone. Next is trying to get her mother on one...
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Device(s)
    LX770 Ericsson
    Carrier(s)
    ex-Free2Go now cing.
    Feedback Score
    OP have you had her try to make a call from your phone. i got someone a smart phone one time. they tried to dial a number using the screen and handed it back to me and said no way

make sure she can 'handle' a smart phone before getting one.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    I had been after my wife to convince her sister, who lives in Ukraine, to get a smartphone and replace her flip phone. When she finally did, that opened up a whole new world to the two sisters. Whereas before they would only talk a few minutes each month, now they are constantly texting back and forth on Viber, sending pictures of foods they are cooking, cats...and generally sharing life a lot better than before. And every couple of days they hit the phone botton on the app and talk (free) for an hour.

This only happened when sis got a smartphone. Next is trying to get her mother on one...
    My wife is Hungarian, but was born in a part of Ukraine that had previously been Hungary before Ukraine took it. She talks and sends pics to friends and family endlessly via Viber, FB Messenger, and Skype.

However, she almost never cooks cats...

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    ^^^^😆😆😆
    No FOMO on the cat cooking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast