Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Wireless $25 plan + data question

Feedback Score

Total Wireless $25 plan + data question

Looking at Total Wireless's offerings, why wouldn't one just chose the $25 unlimited voice/text plan and add 5 GB on non-expiring data for $10, rather than the $35/5 GB plan? It seems like the only difference is that with the $35 plan you lose any unused data at the end of the month, and with the $25+$10 plan... you don't (?)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    Looking at Total Wireless's offerings, why wouldn't one just chose the $25 unlimited voice/text plan and add 5 GB on non-expiring data for $10, rather than the $35/5 GB plan? It seems like the only difference is that with the $35 plan you lose any unused data at the end of the month, and with the $25+$10 plan... you don't (?)
    Like that idea. Did it work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I haven't tried it yet personally, but the TW website implies that you can add data to the $25 plan and I think I remember people reporting that they had done it.

Feedback Score
    It's the best Verizon plan out there if don't use a lot of data. My wife uses it and only needs to refill data every 2 or 3 months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by organicman View Post
    It's the best Verizon plan out there if don't use a lot of data. My wife uses it and only needs to refill data every 2 or 3 months.
    So she buys the $25 voice-only plan each month and then adds top-up data as necessary? That's what I was hoping to do for my wife as well, she only uses a few GB per month and I like the flexibility of non-expiring data.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it has been reported that TW will work this way.

But depending on actual voice/text/data usage, one of the Red Pocket plans might be cheaper.

What is actual voice/text/data usage for the line(s) in question?

Feedback Score
    No matter what's the usage, since this TW data (5GB/$10) is non-expiring, makes it the best buy on the market (short of FP's free 500kB/mo).
    I was considering this too, but aggregating 4 phones on their $95/mo plan, for shared 25GB of data, ended up being a better buy for my family.

PS: Some even tried to abuse the system and use multiples of this monthly, for HD video uploading - foiled by the fact that VZW limits now the video streaming to SD quality.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    No matter what's the usage, since this TW data (5GB/$10) is non-expiring, makes it the best buy on the market (short of FP's free 500kB/mo).
    I was considering this too, but aggregating 4 phones on their $95/mo plan, for shared 25GB of data, ended up being a better buy for my family.

PS: Some even tried to abuse the system and use multiples of this monthly, for HD video uploading - foiled by the fact that VZW limits now the video streaming to SD quality.
    That's VERY wrong and VERY wasteful, if usage fits into a lower cost Red Pocket plan!

Why would somebody spend $25/30 days PLUS data usage with TW if a $5 or $8.25, or $15 Red Pocket plan would be sufficient?
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Red Pocket looks attractive for low usage requirements but since there doesn't appear to be a way to add top-up data (or if there is I sure couldn't find it) it's not as flexible for users with varying amounts of data usage each month.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket looks attractive for low usage requirements but since there doesn't appear to be a way to add top-up data (or if there is I sure couldn't find it) it's not as flexible for users with varying amounts of data usage each month.
    If you use up your allowances before your 30-day cycle ends, you can buy a Red Pocket add-on. Add-on prices are listed at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Pocket-...t/132043269270

While RP is an EXCELLENT deal if you stay within your chosen plan's allowances, be aware that add-ons are not a very good value comparatively, and do NOT carry over beyond the end of your current 30-day plan cycle.

So, examine you historical usage and pick your RP plan carefully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's VERY wrong and VERY wasteful, if usage fits into a lower cost Red Pocket plan!

Why would somebody spend $25/30 days PLUS data usage with TW if a $5 or $8.25, or $15 Red Pocket plan would be sufficient?
    I was responding specifically about the data question that is posed in this thread.
    And even if it would be about voice and SMS (which it wasn't), having unlimited voice and SMS would be saving the user to worry about getting over their allowed minutes and SMS.

Device(s)
    HTC Imagio
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have been doing this from the beginning! Makes sense if one is using less than 5GB a month. Hope there is not difference in the speed between doing it this way and subscribing to the $35/month plan. My data is really slow compared to when I was on Verizon. However, this plan less than 1/3rd of what I would pay at Verizon!
    Line 1 - Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII >>> Samsung Galaxy S6 >>> Total Wireless Samsung Galaxy S6
    Line 2 - Verizon Motorola z6c >>> HTC Imagio >>> Page Plus HTC Imagio >>> LG L22C >>> Samsung Galaxy SIII

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
    I have been doing this from the beginning! Makes sense if one is using less than 5GB a month. Hope there is not difference in the speed between doing it this way and subscribing to the $35/month plan. My data is really slow compared to when I was on Verizon. However, this plan less than 1/3rd of what I would pay at Verizon!
    For a long time Verizon was throttling data speeds for all MVNOs to 5 mbps, which could account for your perception of lower speeds then a native Verizon plan. I've read that Verizon doesn't throttle MVNOs anymore and while some now report seeing full speeds on TW others seem to think they are still being throttled, so not sure which is correct.

Feedback Score
    I just checked the speeds on three of my four phones (with TW).
    I can confirm that of them is throttled, and this happened since last year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I just checked the speeds on three of my four phones (with TW).
    I can confirm that of them is throttled, and this happened since last year.
    That’s not English. Please Clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast