Thread: Congestion or Selective throttling?

Feedback Score

Congestion or Selective throttling?

In my home county, VZ has been experiencing a slowdown which has caused many a trouble ticket to be filed. Including one of my own. LTE data is almost non-existent, even during non peak hours. VoLTE calls are choppy. The response to my trouble ticket was a common blame on "congestion", with no plans to remedy.

The population hasn't surged, nor are there any dramatic shifts. This slowdown has been going on since August of last year....and it does not appear to be getting worse, but instead is constant.

The fun part is that at one tower site, LTE data, including voice calls are 100% offline. Full strength, -60db, nothing. At another site, speed tests are 60MB+ and flow easily. The kicker is, YouTube and Facebook are inaccessible, or severely throttled to the point of being unusable. Facebook will refuse to load either via app or browser, but hofo and dslreports scream along. I can force 3G, and the two sites will respond and function as expected.

You drive in from the city, kids in the back seat watching YT, when you cross an imaginary boundary, it stops as soon as the buffer runs out. Like flipping a switch. Force onto 3G, and it magically works again.

It's somewhat difficult for me to describe in a way that is understood on the other side. I've also found that what seems to be an isolated case, all five of my lines suffer from depri as soon as my account hits 22gb, but while each individual line is well below it, leading me to believe there's some kind d of configuration issue on the back end.

So yeah, I've got five lines on fUDP, and this has been pretty much constant since last year. I dont care of it's slow, but I expect it to at least work. Selectively blocking sites is not considered working.

Any thoughts? I'm pretty well to the point of seeing if ATT can do any better...

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, S8+, and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    "The Big 3"
    Feedback Score
    It wouldn't hurt to check other carriers if Verizon isn't providing decent service that any user would expect. I believe other users on the AT&T thread have had good experiences on AT&T in your state.

It sounds to me like the department in charge of the network/optimization in your market isn't aware of an issue, or simply doesn't care.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I would try another carrier. There probably are a crap ton of Verizon users in your area and the network gets easily congested.

Verizon may be tweaking how certain websites load in order to hold the network together in your area.

I reccomend trying a VPN as well, as that will allow you to bypass the 4 mbps throttle they have on video. I do this often, since I like watching YT in 1080p and it loads faster.

Edit: DO NOT try T-Mobile. They don't even have a network, AT ALL, where you are. AT&T looks like your only other option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenTBK View Post
    In my home county, VZ has been experiencing a slowdown which has caused many a trouble ticket to be filed. Including one of my own. LTE data is almost non-existent, even during non peak hours. VoLTE calls are choppy. The response to my trouble ticket was a common blame on "congestion", with no plans to remedy.

The population hasn't surged, nor are there any dramatic shifts.
    How do you know more people are not using Verizon before and/or people are using more data? For you state unequivocally that it's not congestion is kind of arrogant. And it also serves Verizon no purpose to not fix an actual problem. What is the incentive? To lose customers to other carriers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pimetech View Post
    I would try another carrier. There probably are a crap ton of Verizon users in your area and the network gets easily congested.

Verizon may be tweaking how certain websites load in order to hold the network together in your area.

I reccomend trying a VPN as well, as that will allow you to bypass the 4 mbps throttle they have on video. I do this often, since I like watching YT in 1080p and it loads faster.

Did it ever occur to you that people like you doing that kind of stuff is the REASON for congestion issues? Not sure what right you have to interfere with others service. They are also paying customers. You want 1080p video then you can switch to T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that people like you doing that kind of stuff is the REASON for congestion issues? Not sure what right you have to interfere with others service. They are also paying customers. You want 1080p video then you can switch to T-Mobile.
    Excuse me?

I never asked for a bad attitude. I only use the VPN on my home tower which has little to no congestion, since I'm a rural customer and the site has mid band upgrades.

I'll stay away from crap T-Mobile, as they literally do not have a network in my area.

I was simply trying to be nice and help this person out. I don't need idiots on the thread like you raging over how I choose to use my data.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Congestion or Selective throttling?

Who are you to say how we can or can’t use our data? I’ll use it however I want. And you want to talk about interfering? Look at how you responded to pimetech. He was simply helping the OP out, and you barged in here and created this mess.

Do you want him to have more data issues? Don’t suggest him to T-Mobile. How pathetic you would even do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Feedback Score
    @Jack Hagar
    Verizon offers unthrottled video for an extra $10/mo.
    T-mobile also charges $10/mo more for unthrottled video.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Without any utilization data from that location it's picking at straws.

Choppy VoLTE calls I'd consider a serious issue tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8, S8+, and S9+
    Carrier(s)
    "The Big 3"
    Feedback Score
    It sounds to me that the OP is experiencing issues using data in general, not just video streaming and choppy VoLTE calls as well. I'd keep calling and being a PIA until you get through to someone higher up. Definitely worth trying a different carrier if this doesn't get resolved.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Any thoughts? I'm pretty well to the point of seeing if ATT can do any better...
    Hmmm, looks like ATT is mostly 3G/HSPA in your area. Unfortunately you may be hosed until Verizon improves LTE issues.

Feedback Score
    Let me try to reply with the same manner of using obnoxious caps lock for emphasis:

So I’m supposed to assume no one else EVER streams in 1080p and be a good boy and use as little data as possible so I don’t interfere?

Did you think about your reply in any common sense way or are you just venting?

Feedback Score

The population hasn't surged, nor are there any dramatic shifts. This slowdown has been going on since August of last year....and it does not appear to be getting worse, but instead is constant.

The fun part is that at one tower site, LTE data, including voice calls are 100% offline. Full strength, -60db, nothing. At another site, speed tests are 60MB+ and flow easily. The kicker is, YouTube and Facebook are inaccessible, or severely throttled to the point of being unusable. Facebook will refuse to load either via app or browser, but hofo and dslreports scream along. I can force 3G, and the two sites will respond and function as expected.

You drive in from the city, kids in the back seat watching YT, when you cross an imaginary boundary, it stops as soon as the buffer runs out. Like flipping a switch. Force onto 3G, and it magically works again.

It's somewhat difficult for me to describe in a way that is understood on the other side. I've also found that what seems to be an isolated case, all five of my lines suffer from depri as soon as my account hits 22gb, but while each individual line is well below it, leading me to believe there's some kind d of configuration issue on the back end.

So yeah, I've got five lines on fUDP, and this has been pretty much constant since last year. I dont care of it's slow, but I expect it to at least work. Selectively blocking sites is not considered working.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    Where are you located?