Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid or MVNO that offers roaming overseas?

Feedback Score

Prepaid or MVNO that offers roaming overseas?

Is there a US prepaid plan through one of the major carriers or an MVNO that offers roaming overseas?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Biologique View Post
    Is there a US prepaid plan through one of the major carriers or an MVNO that offers roaming overseas?
    Cricket and AT&T Prepaid are the only ones I can think of, and that is only at higher plan levels and only in Canada and Mexico. Pretty rare otherwise.

Feedback Score

Thanks.
    None that i'm aware of. May be better off
    To as get a local Sim at the nearest convenience store when you land at the airport.

Feedback Score

Thanks.
    Lycamobile - a T-Mobile MVNO. Load up $10 and you are in pay-go mode, no plan needed. Talk and text only - no data, roaming or domestic.

Feedback Score

Thanks.
    Mint Mobile and its parent MVNO Ultra Mobile offers international roaming at the same rates. Here's a direct quote: "$0.25 cents per minute to make and receive calls while roaming internationally, just $0.05 to send an SMS text message from outside of the US, and $0.20 per MB of data. (Receiving SMS text messages is free while roaming outside the US.) Unused International Roaming balances carry over from month to month and never expire!"
    Canada and Mexico get even cheaper rates: $0.02/SMS text sent, inbound SMS free, $0.06/min for voice, $0.05/MB for data.

Lycamobile also offers international roaming but rates vary depending on which country and seem more expensive than Ultra/Mint.

Feedback Score
    Wing Mobile (Sprint MVNO) offers domestic and international roaming. Domestic roaming is talk and text only but Wing offers international roaming for talk, text, and data. I don't remember the rates for talk and text but data is priced at $13/GB.

Feedback Score
    Those are not "roaming" agreements, are straight-up financial rape. That $0.2/MB of data will quickly (500kB) became $100.
    Even for non-MVNO, the deal is around $5-$10/day. For a 10 day vacation is again... $50-100.

Just get a local SIM, and pop it in an unlocked phone. Get 2-4GB LTE data as minimum, use Hangouts Voice (setup in advance, while in US) and/or WhatsApp.

PS: There is no "Wing Mobile" in US, just "Wing" (wingalpha). And they offer similar roaming rates with Sprint, but what's not said is that you probably only get 2G speeds when abroad.This is from Sprint:

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...l-roaming.html
    "Sprint Global Roaming provides data speeds up to 2G. For faster data speeds, you can purchase high-speed data passes."
    "Sprint Global Roaming includes data with speeds up to 2G, but sometimes when you travel, you need faster data.
    High-speed data passes give you data up to LTE speeds with no overage charges. Most destinations offer a one day pass (24 hours) or a one week pass (7 days). Once your data pass time ends, you will revert back to the basic data roaming 2G speeds."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dhduff View Post
    Wing Mobile (Sprint MVNO) offers domestic and international roaming. Domestic roaming is talk and text only but Wing offers international roaming for talk, text, and data. I don't remember the rates for talk and text but data is priced at $13/GB.
    https://www.wingalpha.com/ is probably the best choice. $13/GB is really a great rate for international roaming cellular data from an MVNO. That comes out to ~$0.0127/MB.

Despite what is posted above, https://www.wingalpha.com/help/international/what-type-of-speeds-can-i-expect-abroad indicates:
    "What type of speeds can I expect abroad?
    While you’re abroad, we will provide you with high-speed 3G data, which will allow you to use your phone just like you do back home."
    How does data work when I travel outside the US?
    We offer 1GB of data for just $13 in over 135+ countries. As always, you’ll only ever pay for the data you use, even while abroad. So if you only used 0.5GB, you’ll only pay $6.50.

3G speeds are sufficient for almost everything, if you're patient. I went to Europe with a SIM card in my phone that only got up to 128Kbps, and in reality was 120Kbps max, and it allowed me to do everything I wanted to do with my phone.

Talk and text while roaming internationally are pretty expensive on Wing, so maybe consider using a GV # and Hangouts for voice and messaging over WiFi and/or cellular data.

Regarding how Wing cellular data would perform internationally, I have no experience with that, and I've seen no reports so far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    https://www.wingalpha.com/ is probably the best choice. $13/GB is really a great rate for international roaming cellular data from an MVNO. That comes out to ~$0.0127/MB.

Talk and text while roaming internationally are pretty expensive on Wing, so maybe consider using a GV # and Hangouts for voice and messaging over WiFi and/or cellular data.
    Did you read what I have typed above? That's just 2G speeds. I had friends with me in EU with Sprint, and the data was a joke. They where connected just via GSM's GPRS data (no LTE or 3G) and that system is getting phased-out there too. They didn't have really a stable signal unless they bough the high-speed day-pass.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Did you read what I have typed above? That's just 2G speeds. I had friends with me in EU with Sprint, and the data was a joke. They where connected just via GSM's GPRS data (no LTE or 3G) and that system is getting phased-out there too. They didn't have really a stable signal unless they bough the high-speed day-pass.
    Why are you posting misinformation? Why would you MAKE THINGS UP? Did you even bother to do any research about what Wing says on their website before you made something up about Wing international cellular data?

Like I said above, I have no way to know how Wing international data will ACTUALLY perform. But I'm not making things up about them and posting it on a public forum like you are! What I posted is documented on the Wing website!

Feedback Score
    Because I SAW it in Europe and I also posted links to Sprint's TOS.
    Wing is a Sprint MVNO, will not have "better" agreement that parent company.
    I don't care what they claim, connection to 3G is one and the actual speed is another.

LE: Welcome to my ignore list...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Biologique, Wing's website claims 3G speeds for international data roaming at $13/GB, which is pretty cheap. You'll have to decide if Wing is lying as has been claimed above. I can't help with that, because I don't know. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    No one mentioned yet Google's Project fi.

Full speed roaming abroad, at same rate as in the US, only $10 per GB.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezm View Post

That's a decent suggestion. Fi does require specific phones, and I think the minimum plan would be $20/mo+$10/GB. But it's definitely worth considering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Just get a local SIM, and pop it in an unlocked phone. Get 2-4GB LTE data as minimum, use Hangouts Voice (setup in advance, while in US) and/or WhatsApp.

PS: There is no "Wing Mobile" in US, just "Wing" (wingalpha). And they offer similar roaming rates with Sprint, but what's not said is that you probably only get 2G speeds when abroad.This is from Sprint:

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/so...l-roaming.html
    "Sprint Global Roaming provides data speeds up to 2G. For faster data speeds, you can purchase high-speed data passes."
    "Sprint Global Roaming includes data with speeds up to 2G, but sometimes when you travel, you need faster data.
    High-speed data passes give you data up to LTE speeds with no overage charges. Most destinations offer a one day pass (24 hours) or a one week pass (7 days). Once your data pass time ends, you will revert back to the basic data roaming 2G speeds."
    A couple of years ago, I was in Australia for a couple weeks and picked up a local Amaysim from a local grocery store: it was about $30 (Australian dollar), with unlimited talk/text in Australia and unlimited calls to 10 other countries, including U.S. Data was 3GB or so (don't quite remember exactly). I also used my Google Voice number (setup ahead in U.S.) in combo with Hangouts to text and call U.S. numbers for free. U.S. contacts can call or text my GV number without incurring international rate charge.

I was in Vietnam last year and did something similar: got a local Viettel SIM for local use and use GV/Hangouts to text/call U.S. contacts. At the time, I had Sprint's 1 year free BYOD unlimited plan and was able to make a GV/Hangout call to a local Viet number using 2G data roaming (this was at the airport when I just landed and did not realize the airport had free Wifi).

When I was at the airport about to leave Vietnam, I no longer had my Viettel SIM but had to make a critical call to a local mobile number, I again used GV/Hangouts and the airport's Wifi to make the call.

For these GV calls to local Viet cell numbers, I was charged $0.07/min, same rate as if I was calling from U.S. I had previously load up my GV account with $10 for these kinds of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezm View Post

I just want to add that texts are free but calls are charged $0.20/min when roaming with Google Fi overseas, so calls are rather more expensive than using local SIM and a GV number set up ahead in U.S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast