Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looks like 2019 iPhone won't support T-Mobile's 5G NR Network

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Looks like 2019 iPhone won't support T-Mobile's 5G NR Network

Lot's of confusion on who will make the 2020 iPhone SoC radio between Intel, Qualcomm and Mediatek. Wonder why they aren't talking about the iPhone 2018 or 2019 model? Qualcomm and Mediatek claim they are on track to provide 5G NR SoC in 2019. So looks like when T-Mobile has a 5G Network the 2019 iPhone won't support 5G NR.

Apple dropping Intel as radio chip supplier, killing off the product – report

"It was reported a few days ago that MediaTek was angling for Apple modem orders, possibly for 2020 devices. The chips concerned are 5G-ready, a technology Apple may not adopt next year given that rollout of the next-generation mobile data standard is still likely to be limited then. Large-scale rollout of 5G isn’t expected to happen before 2020, and Apple tends to be a relatively late adopter of new standards."
    Last edited by shilohcane; 07-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Rootmetrics Overall Winner of the 125 Metro areas report for 1H2018;

Verizon has 101 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets. (counting Hawaii off Map)
    T-Mobile has 63 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets. (counting Hawaii off Map)
    AT&T has 30 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.
    Sprint has 3 of 125 won or tied for #1 of 125 Metro Markets.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Shilo I think I'm going to be depressed.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Yet another reason why I don't want an iPhone.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Is the 2019 iPhone going to support the 5G networks of other US networks?

If they did that would put the T-Mobile variant at a competitive NR disadvantage and Apple typically likes to sell their products with cohesive support.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Is the 2019 iPhone going to support the 5G networks of other US networks?

If they did that would put the T-Mobile variant at a competitive NR disadvantage and Apple typically likes to sell their products with cohesive support.
    5G NR is a industry standard so it will be the same signal on all 5G NR networks. According to that article iPhones won't support 5G NR on any network before the 2020 iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Part of what is awesome about T-Mobile digits is that we all can have a second phone on the same line. Although I'd consider upgrading my iPhone 7 to a newer device, that won't happen without Band 71. As a T-mobile customer I'll just get a disposable Android phone for the rural parts and call it good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    5G NR is a industry standard so it will be the same signal on all 5G NR networks. According to that article iPhones won't support 5G NR on any network before the 2020 iPhone.
    Right. And it won't matter much until they start phasing out 4G LTE. I expect that will be years away.

What does anyone think that 5G is going to do for them on a phone that they can't do with LTE? Gbps speed tests?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile, at&t, FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Right. And it won't matter much until they start phasing out 4G LTE. I expect that will be years away.

What does anyone think that 5G is going to do for them on a phone that they can't do with LTE? Gbps speed tests?
    phase out 4G/LTE- ROFLMAO ! 2G is still deployed on most networks !

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I think that 5G NR will add more spectrum that I am paying for when T-Mobile deploys some of their spectrum to 5G NR. I think that since 5G NR is more spectrum efficient than 4G LTE by 20% to 25% that there will be more capacity where there would be congestion in a 4G LTE area. I think that 5G NR as a WISP from T-Mobile can let me fire Comcast that I am paying more for their ISP services than I am for Unlimited T-Mobile service now.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaar View Post
    phase out 4G/LTE- ROFLMAO ! 2G is still deployed on most networks !
    3gpp release 15 that has just authorized 5G NR requires 4G LTE as a backup to 5G NR. When 3GPP Release 16 that hasn't been started yet when complete several years from now is currently planed as the first 5G NR stand alone technology. 3GPP will working on 6G after Release 16 is finalized.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'm a geek Bob. I want to see 5G on my phone's alpha tag!

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I think what is more to wonder is if the 2018/2019 iphones will support the newer T-Mobile bands to take advantage of the 600mhz spectrum? I wouldn't be too worried about 5g (apple is always behind with the fastest network speeds in their devices), but the iphone x already lacks the bands for 600 mhz spectrum and with as fast as T-Mobile is continuing to roll out that spectrum, the iphone falls further and further behind.

Feedback Score
    Just so we get a 600mhz iPhone with Carrier Aggregation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Lot's of confusion on who will make the 2020 iPhone SoC radio between Intel, Qualcomm and Mediatek. Wonder why they aren't talking about the iPhone 2018 or 2019 model? Qualcomm and Mediatek claim they are on track to provide 5G NR SoC in 2019. So looks like when T-Mobile has a 5G Network the 2019 iPhone won't support 5G NR.
    The subject is misleading. It likely won't support 5G NR on any network, not just T-Mobile. There's always been at least a one year difference between iPhone and other smart phones when it comes to support for the latest wireless standards, it was the case with 3G and 4G as well, and even for NFC.
    Last edited by smsgator; 07-07-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    The subject is misleading. It likely won't support 5G NR on any network, not just T-Mobile. There's always been at least a one year difference between iPhone and flagship Android phones when it comes to support for the latest wireless standards, it was the case with 3G and 4G as well, and even for NFC.
    Not the case for 3G

The iPhone 3G came out before the first android phones were released according to a quick search. The T-Mobile G1 didn't support 3G.

But there were already LTE compatible android phones out when the 4s was released (without LTE). I seem to recall battery life was an issue, since early LTE phones required an additional chip for support.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast