Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cryptic text messages containing VZWVVM? No longer notified about voicemail? See here

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cryptic text messages containing VZWVVM? No longer notified about voicemail? See here

So, I thought I'd create this thread to give some insight what is occurring on the strange text voicemail issue as it's likely to be a common issue.

This will be a long thread with alot of info so read carefully.

What is occurring is that your service has been provisioned for visual voicemail regardless if it's compatible or not.

• If you have a modern iPhone that supports visual voicemail it is incorrectly provisioned for it.
    • If you have a Android device the visual voicemail application needs to be installed. This is likely to already be installed. On older Android devices visual voicemail is likely be unsupported.
    • If you have a basic LTE flip phone visual voicemail is likely be unsupported.

How to fix it?

It is not easy to get it resolved. TracFone has to correctly provision Voicemail for the device you have.

• visual voicemail needs to be provisioned differently for iPhones than it does for Android devices.
    • If you have a device that doesn't support visual voicemail all together they need to move your service to basic voicemail.

Unfortunately, The easiest solution is to move to a different carrier all together. Most TracFone support reps will be unaware of the differences and be unable to support you.

For reference see https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17003895 and https://www.tracfoneforum.com/viewto...69927#p1017688

If you have any success in getting them to move you to basic voicemail or correctly provision it for your iPhone please post here.

Hopefully this helps and provides some insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Good post.

Another aspect for either iOS or Android, as regards what I'd consider typical Page Plus Cellular or TracFone PAYGO type users, is, Visual Voicemail is cool and all, but I may run with neither cellular data or Wi-Fi on while I'm out of a building (while mobile), and I may not want the "expense" of being dinged for the cost of an SMS text in order to be notified of waiting voicemail, when if things were operating correctly and I had full control over my service and device, I'd simply get the Basic VM notification from the carrier in my Status Bar/Notification Area at the top of the screen and react as appropriate.

It's too bad that the mechanism TracFone/PPC systems have been left with for dealing with the Basic vs. Visual VM on the various platforms and device types is so wonky, or perhaps it's their expertise in handling (or lack of) that option and they didn't expect things to be so complicated.

Again, good to have a centralized thread for the gathering of experiences and examples.

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Good post.

Another aspect for either iOS or Android, as regards what I'd consider typical Page Plus Cellular or TracFone PAYGO type users, is, Visual Voicemail is cool and all, but I may run with neither cellular data or Wi-Fi on while I'm out of a building (while mobile), and I may not want the "expense" of being dinged for the cost of an SMS text in order to be notified of waiting voicemail, when if things were operating correctly and I had full control over my service and device, I'd simply get the Basic VM notification from the carrier in my Status Bar/Notification Area at the top of the screen and react as appropriate.

It's too bad that the mechanism TracFone/PPC systems have been left with for dealing with the Basic vs. Visual VM on the various platforms and device types is so wonky, or perhaps it's their expertise in handling (or lack of) that option and they didn't expect things to be so complicated.

Again, good to have a centralized thread for the gathering of experiences and examples.
    Fortunately It appears that the vvm text messages aren't being billed. It makes sense as when functioning correctly these are filtered out.

To me it looks like commands and sync messages for your vvm app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Lucid
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    FYI, I was able to get my voicemail set to basic via PPC chat. Must be on their list of quick fixes now.
    Timothy Barr

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by falingtrea View Post
    FYI, I was able to get my voicemail set to basic via PPC chat. Must be on their list of quick fixes now.
    Thanks for the heads up!

I was able to do this as well and get a line moved to basic voicemail while maintaining VoLTE.

The 1st agent disabled it fully but the 2nd one enabled basic voicemail without incident.

Upon being moved to basic voicemail you will receive one more text message. I suppose this last text message is actually a command telling the phone that it has been deprovisioned from visual voicemail.

This is really good for TracFone support. Must be aware of this issue now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to hold off trying to get mine straightened out completely, as it doesn't keep me from being notified of waiting VM even if I'm out in the field with data off, plus carrier VM is not my primary VM to begin with (most expected calls come in via Google Voice and the VM there).

I'm a little afraid of a multi-chat-session go 'round with PPC support like many of the TracFone users are still experiencing, so holding off for now. It seems from their end getting this fixed is as bad as pulling teeth!

Feedback Score
    Pclover

I think this confirms what you found. I started receiving these messages after I ported my iPhone 8Plus over to Total Wireless last week.

I had Total Wireless on this exact phone a few months ago and visual voicemail on the phone app worked perfectly. My wife has an iPhone 6S on Total Wireless. I swapped sim cards with her and have the following results.

My Phone; My Sim Card; No Visual Voicemail, Cryptic Text
    Wife's Phone; Wife's Sim Card; Visual Voicemail works as expected
    My Phone; Wife's Sim Card; Visual Voicemail works as expected
    Wife's Phone; My Sim Card; No Visual Voicemail, I forgot to check for the cryptic text

The issue follows my Sim Card which points to the issue being a carrier setup associated with that Sim Card. I think I will ask them to 1st try to duplicate the settings of my wife's sim card. If that doesn't work, I will ask them to send me a new Sim Card to reactivate the same line on the same carrier. Any other advise or suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krebel View Post

The issue follows my Sim Card which points to the issue being a carrier setup associated with that Sim Card. I think I will ask them to 1st try to duplicate the settings of my wife's sim card. If that doesn't work, I will ask them to send me a new Sim Card to reactivate the same line on the same carrier. Any other advise or suggestions?
    It does look like the account was not VVM provisioned on the port to Total Wireless. Is VoLTE is missing as well? The SIM card is not the key factor, but what account it's associated with. It's inconsistent if a CSR can/will fix this, and it might take a new SIM card to reprovision the account.

Feedback Score
    Loboheeler,

I'm not completely sure how to check for VoLTE. The LTE symbol does stay up during phone calls.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That is one good sign. Another good signs is HD Calling with people with VoLTE/HD Calling or look in the settings of the phone for VoLTE settings. The setting for VoLTE is depending on the model of the phone.

Feedback Score
    Loboheeler,

I'm not completely sure how to check for VoLTE. The LTE symbol does stay up during phone calls.
    LTE symbol staying up during phone calls is a pretty good indication of VoLTE.

What phone do you have? We may be able to find how to check the setting.

For Moto G phones dialing *#*#4636#*#* will show the setting.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    How to enable:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203078

Sent PM. Call if you want to test.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What phone do you have? We may be able to find how to check the setting.
    If you look back in the thread a few posts you'll see he has an iPhone 8+

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to reply with were I was at with this. After spending 5 or more hours with Total Wireless technical support, we could not get it working. They tried resetting my voicemail several times. They also tried turning visual voicemail off and then back on from their side. When visual voicemail was turned off on their side, I no longer received the cryptic text, but my visual voicemail still didn't work. We tried resetting network settings. We even tried transferring my service over to a new SIM card. This did not work either.

I decided to switch over to another Verizon MVNO. I don't know if it is luck or something else, but visual voicemail on my iphone worked perfectly as soon as I transferred.

Thank you for your assistance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Weird.

Who did you work with to get them to turn VVM on and off?

Some would like to reach a rep capable of doing such things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast