Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Wireless Moto G6 Forge ( Moto G6 Play 16GB ) now available

Feedback Score

Cricket Wireless Moto G6 Forge ( Moto G6 Play 16GB ) now available

The Cricket Wireless Moto G6 Forge ( Moto G6 Play 16GB ) is now available at Best Buy for $100.00 .

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricket...?skuId=6215410

The specifications are not quite as impressive as the Cricket Moto E5 Supra which is currently priced at for $180.00 -

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...-e5-supra.html

some other info -

Moto G6 Play article-

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20866

Moto E5 Plus (Cricket Moto E5 Supra) vs Moto G6 Play (Cricket Moto G6 Forge ) article -

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=20495

- The specifications (memory, frequency, LTE bands, etc ) in these articles may not be accurate as to the specific Cricket models so it is probably best to refer to the specifications published by Cricket .
    Last edited by bamx2; 07-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Feedback Score
    Does it do wifi calling from overseas? Ty

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Not sure why this time around they are deciding to rebrand all the devices for their own. Just call it the Moto g6 play. Hate how these carriers are going back to 2013 with the individual variants for each carrier.

Feedback Score
    Only 2GBs of ram? No thanks.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Iphone Xs, Ipad Pro 11"
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
    Only 2GBs of ram? No thanks.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
    At least they are doing 2gb and not the 1.5 which many of the devices last year launched with in the budget segment.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

I Got One, Observations After 2 Days With One

I got one Saturday. Basically, for $100, no activation fees no concerns if you can get the upgrade price, this is a can't go wrong model.

I got wind of this at a time when I was pondering other models in the $250 range (vs the $200 the unlocked Play costs)--the Nokia 6.1, Moto G6 (the "normal" one), Honor 7x, maybe splurging on the Stylo 4. What I REALLY wanted was something in the $100 range comparable to my ZTE Blade Spark AT&T GoPhone (also sold as the ZTE Blade X in Cricket stores), only on Oreo vs Nougat. That's an $80-100 phone with a 5˝" LCD (16:9) 2G RAM 16G storage rear fingerprint sensor USB-C and it's fast enough most times (I don't game). I had also owned the prior ZTE Grand X4 (Marshmallow) and ZMax 2 (Lollipop) all were similar models. Basically "update me to Oreo, make it a TINY bit faster, leave everything else alone, $100 and I'm in."

Other than microUSB instead of USB-C, this was it.

When (unlocked versions) it was only $50 less than a G6 "normal" that seemed silly, but at $100 it became the one I knew I wanted.

Few observations:

• They must've been in a hurry, it doesn't even have the Cricket logo on the back. (It does in the boot-up screens), but also this--you can turn off the Cricket indicator in the status bar at the top, making more room for REAL notifications there. Thank you.
    • It's not a speed demon but for what I do (Google Maps & Facebook are probably the most demanding) it is notably faster than my ZTE Blade Spark, which MOST times anyway was fine
    • Battery life--yes, it's good. My ZTE Blade Spark has been good, too, this may be even better.
    • Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor--yes. That's where I want it, and I want it well-sized too. The G6--the main thing that was holding me back from getting it was its front placement (One Touch Navi notwithstanding). The Nokia 6.1 is a well regarded phone but that fingerprint sensor is small.
    • Not sure how I'd take to 18:9 vs 16:9 so far I'm ok with it. It does somehow make it look more contemporary and it does fit better in the hand. (However, I will say that for phones in the 5" range vs 5.7" range, they may do better to stick with 16:9.)
    • Very nice that they include a soft "skin" case right in the box, so you don't feel "naked" while waiting for your $7 case on eBay to come in because you're too cheap to spend $30 on a case in the store.
    • As a prior user of the unlocked Moto G3, and observing my wife's Moto E5 Play/Cruz, I like the Moto Display feature. It seems classy and it's convenient, you can see notifications and open them right from the lock screen & they don't open up unintentionally in my pocket. When I pick it up bed side, it gives me a big clock I can easily see with my 6 am just waking-up eyes. I like the double-chop for turning on the flashlight too. (Rest of the "actions" I'm not concerned with.)
    • I wish it had USB-C instead of microUSB, I've been on USB-C for almost a year, but I made it easier by putting yellow felt-tip markings on the "up" side of the port. Look for yellow THEN insert.
    • I don't know if you guys know this, I didn't, but apparently Motorola has for awhile (but my G3 never did this) disabled the ability to NOT have "ascending" ring tones. I don't like that, at all. However I found a work-around--install Disable Increasing Ring (Shumoapp) and check the "new normalization" box and leave the settings at default. Problem solved (it will permanently live in the notifications, however.)

As I said, if you're like me and you were basically wanting a $100 Oreo successor to the 5˝" ZTE models that were $80-100 or so and still on Nougat, and you can't wait any longer for ZTE to get those models in the stores, this is what you want. In the unlocked realm, only $50 less than the G6 "normal," why bother (although again I REALLY prefer a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor), but when I was looking I someone "honed in" on this model and said "if it was $100 I'd grab it in a minute." Well it is, and I did, and I think it's a good choice if you don't want to spend $250-300 on a phone but don't want it to be one that stinks (those $30 Alcatel models with 4.7" screens 1G of RAM and 8G of storage that shut down Google Maps right in the middle of navigation). Just remember to call in the IMEI to Cricket vs just popping in your SIM card.

Feedback Score
    Great review - Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Cricket Wireless Moto E5 Play Supra and Cricket Moto G6 Play Forge comparison video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxGTghZOWVI

Feedback Score
    Why are some cricket branded phones not included on the list to have hotspot capability? Is the list not current or will they really not work?

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    So confusing that the G6 Forge is lower spec’d than the E5 Supra. I thought the G series was supposed to be better than the E.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post

Just remember to call in the IMEI to Cricket vs just popping in your SIM card.
    Why is that?

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skydelta34 View Post
    Why are some cricket branded phones not included on the list to have hotspot capability? Is the list not current or will they really not work?
    Can't answer as to why, but in all practicality, the list is probably about complete.

In other words, if you want to use hotspot in an "authorized" fashion, you will only be able to do it with one of the listed phones. First hand experience.

Of course, in reality, many other phones can hotspot on Cricket. Just not authorized.

Of course, as to their list, since they are Cricket phones, their system can control the phones behavior. I have 3 Cricket models that are not on the list. Cricket would not let me buy hotspot for either. When you try to hotspot on a Cricket phone without paying, you usually get a pop-up to "Contact Cricket".

I went out and bought what turns out to be a great Cricket phone for cheap(Huawei Elate) that is on the list just in case I am forced to buy and use hotspot again.

In the meantime, just hotspot (unauthorized) on any of many(not all) factory or carrier unlocked phones.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
    . Just remember to call in the IMEI to Cricket vs just popping in your SIM card.
    I second that. Why do I need to call in imei number

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberajnabee View Post
    I second that. Why do I need to call in imei number
    This thread should explain it - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...ld-Phone-Works

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast