Thread: Sonim XP8 On Verizon

Feedback Score

Sonim XP8 On Verizon

Would a Sonim XP8 work on Verizon Wireless?

https://sonimtech.com/xp8/

https://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/0...print-tmobile/

VERIZON CDMA 0, 1 850, 1900 2, 4, 5, 13 1900, 1700/2100, 850, 700

CARRIER NETWORK 3G BANDS 3G FREQUENCIES 4G LTE BANDS 4G LTE FREQUENCIES

The above makes it look like it would, but I just want to make sure.

Feedback Score
    It should but it would have to be whitelisted. here's list of unlocked devices that currently work on Verizon

https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-2843

Feedback Score

Sonim XP8 On Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    It should but it would have to be whitelisted. here's list of unlocked devices that currently work on Verizon

https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-2843
    That is excellent information. Thank you very much!

Now that I know it won't work, I can focus on seeing what I would have to do in order to get in added. There is no guarantee that they will, but I can ask.

Feedback Score
    it is missing some bands, seems 3g

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahg View Post
    it is missing some bands, seems 3g
    A) No it's not
    B) Won't matter in 18 months anyway

Feedback Score

Sonim XP8 On Verizon

I contacted them and received the following reply:

"Dear James,

At this time the Sonim XP8 has not been released for use with the Verizon Network. The XP8 is currently available through either AT&T or Sprint in the United States. Until Verizon puts the device through testing and certification for the Verizon Network it will be unavailable to Verizon customers.

Thanks and Regards,

Curtis"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I contacted them and received the following reply:

"Dear James,

At this time the Sonim XP8 has not been released for use with the Verizon Network. The XP8 is currently available through either AT&T or Sprint in the United States. Until Verizon puts the device through testing and certification for the Verizon Network it will be unavailable to Verizon customers.

Thanks and Regards,

Curtis"
    Yep. It's capable of working on Verizon but until Sonim sends it in for certification they won't whitelist it.

Feedback Score
    Would a Sonim XP8 work on Verizon Wireless?

https://sonimtech.com/xp8/

https://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/0...print-tmobile/

CARRIER NETWORK 3G BANDS 3G FREQUENCIES 4G LTE BANDS 4G LTE FREQUENCIES

The above makes it look like it would, but I just want to make sure.
    you may not be able to technically activate it on Verizon network, but if you order unlocked from Sonim, - you should really be able to just use a Verizon SIM that was previously activated on a different phone that is compatible on VZW - and the SIM size matches of Sonim XP8.

That should be enough. IMO...

Feedback Score

Sonim XP8 On Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid87 View Post
    you may not be able to technically activate it on Verizon network, but if you order unlocked from Sonim, - you should really be able to just use a Verizon SIM that was previously activated on a different phone that is compatible on VZW - and the SIM size matches of Sonim XP8.

That should be enough. IMO...
    I was wondering about that, too.

Just yesterday, I received my new Moto Z3 Play. I checked Total Wireless and they said it is not compatible. I inserted my SIM card from my old phone and it worked just great. I checked later with Total Wireless and then they said it was compatible.

It seems like I have heard that people have had "non-compatible" devices on Verizon and that they were detected and locked out of the network. I wonder if that is accurate or simply urban legend?

Feedback Score
    It seems like I have heard that people have had "non-compatible" devices on Verizon and that they were detected and locked out of the network. I wonder if that is accurate or simply urban legend?
    Verizon doesn't prevent "non-compatible" devices from connecting to the network and doesn't lock anything out. As long as it has the right LTE bands or even some of them, it can work at least as a data only device.

There is one major problem though - VoLTE support. If the phone doesn't have the necessary settings for Verizon flavor of VoLTE in its firmware, calls won't work​. Some phones will even refuse to connect to the network and work as data-only if they detect that there's no calling capability.

If the phone supports CDMA, it will help because it can use CDMA instead of VoLTE for calling. But you shouldn't rely on CDMA because it will be gone in 17 months.
    Last edited by jack4; 07-11-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Device(s)
    Panasonic Toughpad FZ-N1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Food for thought here after being on the phone with Verizon for 1 hour and 28 minutes yesterday with their international support team (VERY HELPFUL BTW):

Currently I have a "Whitelisted ODI" Blackberry KeyONE and I'm going to Canada in 3 weeks... While this unlocked Verizon phone works great stateside and it WILL work in Canada roaming I cannot get any of the benefits of my current unlimited grandfathered plan which would normally include half a gig a day and unlimited talk/text while inside Canada.

Furthermore since it's an ODI device I cannot simply pay for the $25 1GB international plan (Which is for ANY COUNTRY BTW) which includes 500 minutes and 500 txt messages. They have told me I need a Verizon branded device for this I was told.

As such if I went away from my beloved physical keyboard blackberry I'd like to go to an XP8... The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-N1 is too old and bulky. I know this device would work but I’m not willing to go back in time. I was on the phone yesterday with a guy named Kevin from International support and he was SUPER helpful. He told me that I need a device certified with Verizon for "Enhanced features" which includes but is not limited to visual voicemail. This will ensure that I can take advantage of my current plan and not get REAMED with international roaming charges...

This is the information *I'M* after - Will the Sonim XP8 support Verizons "Enhanced Features"???
    Verizon baby!

Feedback Score

Sonim XP8 On Verizon

I have information from someone that tried an unlocked Sonim XP8 with a Verizon SIM card.

They were unable to make/receive phone calls with LTE enabled, and the SIM status says that voice is out of service.

However, when LTE was disabled, calls were made/received without an issue.

Does anybody here have any theories on this and if there would be a way to make it work fully on Verizon for BOTH voice AND data, simultaneously?

Feedback Score
    I have information from someone that tried an unlocked Sonim XP8 with a Verizon SIM card. They were unable to make/receive phone calls with LTE enabled, and the SIM status says that voice is out of service. However, when LTE was disabled, calls were made/received without an issue. Does anybody here have any theories on this and if there would be a way to make it work fully on Verizon for BOTH voice AND data, simultaneously?
    i believe the phone has 2 sim slots, did they try the other sim slot ?? - https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tuto...odel=XP8XP8800