Thread: How to set different volumes for ringtones and notifications?

Feedback Score

How to set different volumes for ringtones and notifications?

I was at a family gathering earlier today and my sister-in-law was complaining about her iPhone 7 which she inherited from her daughter who got an iPhone 8+. Her iPhone 7 replaced her ancient Samsung Galaxy S3.

The complaint is that she can’t figure out how to set different volume levels for ringer and for notifications. At work, she needs to have the ringer volume very low while seeing patients, but she needs the notification volume higher.

On Android, the screen for different volume settings looks like this: <http://oi65.tinypic.com/akwjfc.jpg>.

I was trying to find where the volume settings for different things were on her iPhone 7 but I could not figure it out, yet I am sure that there must be some way to do this, but what is it? There were several other iPhone owners at this gathering and none could figure it out either.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-07-08-18-16-30[1].jpg
Views: 335
Size:  26.5 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's not possible to do that on an iPhone. There is one volume slider for both ringtones and alerts.
    iPhone 7, 128GB, matte black: Sept. 14, 2017 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 6, 64GB, space grey: Nov. 3, 2014 - BELL / Nov. 13, 2015 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 5, 32GB, white: Nov. 21, 2012 - BELL
    iPhone 4, 32GB, black: Sept. 2, 2010 - ROGERS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jabohn View Post
    It's not possible to do that on an iPhone. There is one volume slider for both ringtones and alerts.
    She went to the Genius Bar at an Apple store. The workaround is to create a new ringtone that is very low volume so even when the volume is turned up the ringer is pretty soft.

Bizarre that Apple forgot to include this functionality, unless there is a patent issue.

Sent from my moto x4 using HoFo mobile app
    “It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once you've told them about a superior alternative, your responsibility is fulfilled and you can allow them to lose in peace.” Mark Crispin, inventor of the iMAP e-mail protocol.

Feedback Score
    Well, that seems like some unnecessary extra trouble to be forced to create this "quiet" ringtone. What do you mean by the "patent issue"?
    https://crescendoapp.com/ - app for presentation

Feedback Score
    It's such an desirable feature to be able to independently set the ringtone and notifications volume that some other phone manufacturer or OS provider might have patented it so Apple can't include it. The person at the Genius Bar said that it's a common question which is why he instantly knew the workaround.

Sent from my LGMP450 using HoFo mobile app