Thread: WLNY-TV Complete Early Spectrum Repack in New York City

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

WLNY-TV Complete Early Spectrum Repack in New York City

T-Mobile just keeps on rolling out the new 600 Mhz spectrum. Improving the old FCC TV repack scheduled by over a year. WLNY-TV’s 600 MHz spectrum on portions of Long Island and the surrounding area that extends into Brooklyn and Queens. WLNY now joins WWOR as completed repack in NYC area.

WLNY-TV Complete Early Spectrum Repack in New York City

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Awesome stuff!

They do have a smaller slice of Band 71 in the NYC area, correct?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Awesome stuff!

They do have a smaller slice of Band 71 in the NYC area, correct?
    T-Mobile has 20 Mhz total of Band 71 and 10 Mhz of Band 12. T-Mobile owns 600 Mhz block B & C. Dish Networks own block D, E & F. AT&T purchased and sold Block A in NYC area that now belongs to another spectrum horder. T-Mobile owns 102 MHz of spectrum in NYC areas and that not counting over 400 Mhz of mmWave spectrum in that whole area. T-Mobile has more than enough spectrum when deployed with the mmWave and Small Cells to be competitive with any network in NYC.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    "T-Mobile plans to light up 600 MHz LTE in this cleared spectrum in early 2019."

Hopefully by early next year, devices with band-71 (and 46) will be more common so that the network upgrades will have an immediate impact.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    "T-Mobile plans to light up 600 MHz LTE in this cleared spectrum in early 2019."

Hopefully by early next year, devices with band-71 (and 46) will be more common so that the network upgrades will have an immediate impact.
    That cleared spectrum from WLNY is expected by early 2019 but WLNY is a lower powered Long Island station doesn't interfere with Manhattan. On Spectrumgateway.com 600 Mhz page it is still showing already cleared spectrum from WWOR as completely repack with Band 71 deployment in Q4. I guess since T-Mobile owns Band B & C in that area that maybe a factor but I gave up trying to solve what block interferes with what TV station.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Since Band 71 is already in our OEM phone maker ecosystem I wonder if it would make any sense for T-Mobile to buy up any remaining holdings out there?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Since Band 71 is already in our OEM phone maker ecosystem I wonder if it would make any sense for T-Mobile to buy up any remaining holdings out there?
    LOL I have seen DISH buy a lot of spectrum but I can't say I have ever seen DISH sell any spectrum.... Maybe that Block F that AT&T sold to speculators is for sale but it isn't contiguous unless it could be used contiguous with 700 Mhz Block A that is next to it in spectrum. That stuff is over my head... As DRNewcomb says they have inverted the upload and download spectrum between Band 71 and Band 12 even if they are next to each other contiguous.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Anybody here from NYC?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't have T-Mobile service but if you're wondering if they've started deployment I personally haven't seen any B71 gear or antennas on any sites. I wouldn't be shocked if they started popping up within the next few months though. I might be able to snag pictures.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

They're pretty common now, aside from Apple. Motorola, One Plus, LG, Samsung, etc.